Page 34 of 111 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484 ... LastLast
Results 331 to 340 of 1110

Thread: Iraq insurgents take Saddam's home town in lightning advance [W:246, 565, *656*]

  1. #331
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    05-04-15 @ 04:39 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    2,422

    Re: Iraq insurgents take Saddam's home town in lightning advance

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Fabulous View Post
    A Reagan hit piece from Salon.com.

    Gotcha.

    Deny they spent HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS to rewrite history on Ronnie? lol

  2. #332
    Sage



    Jack Fabulous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    midwest
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    10,710
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Iraq insurgents take Saddam's home town in lightning advance

    Quote Originally Posted by dad2three2001 View Post
    Sure, as long as you say it was CONservative policy that ended communism, not communism itself that imploded, I guess you must be right *shaking head*

    The point made, to the right winger, like ALL CONservative policies, Bush's invasion on false premises was MORE CONservative failed policy. I think Iraq, the nation Bush invaded, was the topic?
    Only siths deal in absolutes. Don't you know that?

  3. #333
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    05-04-15 @ 04:39 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    2,422

    Re: Iraq insurgents take Saddam's home town in lightning advance

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    There's no evidence that Bush, "couldn't wait to invade".
    The historical record pretty clearly demonstrates the distortions the administration employed to make the case that Saddam Hussein had WMDs. Inspectors who said they didn’t exist were ignored, false stories about aluminum tubes and yellowcake from Africa were peddled assertively, Iraqi defectors that were known liars were used as anonymous sources alleging Saddam’s WMD development, etc.

    An investigation by a committee in the House of Representatives in 2004 identified “237 misleading statements about the threat posed by Iraq that were made by President Bush, Vice President Cheney, Secretary Rumsfeld, Secretary Powell, and National Security Advisor Rice. These statements were made in 125 separate appearances, consisting of 40 speeches, 26 press conferences and briefings, 53 interviews, 4 written statements, and 2 congressional testimonies.” According to the committee, at least 61 separate statements “misrepresented Iraq’s ties to al-Qaeda.” A Senate investigation in 2006 also covered these lies.

    9/11 and Iraq: The War’s Greatest Lie « Antiwar.com Blog



    On April 29, 2007, former Director of Central Intelligence George Tenet said on 60 Minutes, "We could never verify that there was any Iraqi authority, direction and control, complicity with al-Qaeda for 9/11 or any operational act against America, period."


    In the initial stages of the war on terror, the Central Intelligence Agency, under George Tenet, was rising to prominence as the lead agency in the Afghanistan war. But when Tenet insisted in his personal meetings with President Bush that there was no connection between Al Qaeda and Iraq, V.P. Dick Cheney and Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld initiated a secret program to re-examine the evidence and marginalize the CIA and Tenet. The questionable intelligence acquired by this secret program was "stovepiped" to the vice president and presented to the public

    Saddam Hussein and al-Qaeda link allegations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

  4. #334
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    05-04-15 @ 04:39 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    2,422

    Re: Iraq insurgents take Saddam's home town in lightning advance

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Fabulous View Post
    Only siths deal in absolutes. Don't you know that?
    Should be easy to point to one policy CONservatives have EVER been on the correct side of history on, we know it wasn't in Iraq!

  5. #335
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,465

    Re: Iraq insurgents take Saddam's home town in lightning advance

    Quote Originally Posted by dad2three2001 View Post
    The historical record pretty clearly demonstrates the distortions the administration employed to make the case that Saddam Hussein had WMDs. Inspectors who said they didn’t exist were ignored, false stories about aluminum tubes and yellowcake from Africa were peddled assertively, Iraqi defectors that were known liars were used as anonymous sources alleging Saddam’s WMD development, etc.

    An investigation by a committee in the House of Representatives in 2004 identified “237 misleading statements about the threat posed by Iraq that were made by President Bush, Vice President Cheney, Secretary Rumsfeld, Secretary Powell, and National Security Advisor Rice. These statements were made in 125 separate appearances, consisting of 40 speeches, 26 press conferences and briefings, 53 interviews, 4 written statements, and 2 congressional testimonies.” According to the committee, at least 61 separate statements “misrepresented Iraq’s ties to al-Qaeda.” A Senate investigation in 2006 also covered these lies.

    9/11 and Iraq: The War’s Greatest Lie « Antiwar.com Blog



    On April 29, 2007, former Director of Central Intelligence George Tenet said on 60 Minutes, "We could never verify that there was any Iraqi authority, direction and control, complicity with al-Qaeda for 9/11 or any operational act against America, period."


    In the initial stages of the war on terror, the Central Intelligence Agency, under George Tenet, was rising to prominence as the lead agency in the Afghanistan war. But when Tenet insisted in his personal meetings with President Bush that there was no connection between Al Qaeda and Iraq, V.P. Dick Cheney and Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld initiated a secret program to re-examine the evidence and marginalize the CIA and Tenet. The questionable intelligence acquired by this secret program was "stovepiped" to the vice president and presented to the public

    Saddam Hussein and al-Qaeda link allegations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Like I said...
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  6. #336
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,465

    Re: Iraq insurgents take Saddam's home town in lightning advance

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  7. #337
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    05-04-15 @ 04:39 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    2,422

    Re: Iraq insurgents take Saddam's home town in lightning advance

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    There's no evidence that Bush, "couldn't wait to invade".
    George Bush raised the issue of Iraq with Tony Blair just three days after the 9/11 attacks, Mr Blair's former foreign policy adviser has said.

    George Bush raised Iraq with Tony Blair days after 9/11 - Telegraph

    We know that . Bush started looking for an excuse to invade Iraq within days of taking office.



    The war that began March 19, 2003, was justified to the country by alarming claims that Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction and connections to al-Qaida terrorists—almost all of which turned out to be false. Some of the most senior officials in the U.S. government, including President Bush himself, Vice President Dick Cheney and Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, asserted these claims in public with absolute confidence, even while privately, ranking U.S. military officers and intelligence professionals were voicing their doubts. Hubris: The Selling of the Iraq War, a documentary special hosted by Rachel Maddow (and based on a book I co-authored with David Corn), provides new evidence that the dissent within the administration and military was even more profound and widespread than anybody has known until now.

    “It was a shock, it was a total shock–I couldn’t believe the vice president was saying this,” Gen. Anthony Zinni, the former commander in chief of U.S. Central Command

    How the Bush administration sold the Iraq war | MSNBC


    HONESTY, TRY IT!

  8. #338
    Sage



    Jack Fabulous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    midwest
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    10,710
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Iraq insurgents take Saddam's home town in lightning advance

    Quote Originally Posted by dad2three2001 View Post
    Should be easy to point to one policy CONservatives have EVER been on the correct side of history on, we know it wasn't in Iraq!
    But we do know that Reagan executed a specific strategy to end the cold war, and guess what? It ended. For that matter, Nixon ended Vietnam, too. A war started by... who was that again? And there was also the Civil Rights Act... but maybe this is just a little too much at one time?

  9. #339
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    05-04-15 @ 04:39 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    2,422

    Re: Iraq insurgents take Saddam's home town in lightning advance

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Like I said...
    It is clear that, even before 9/11, President Bush wanted Saddam Hussein out of power


    10/3/00 Debating Al Gore, George W. Bush says he'd commit troops only with an "exit strategy," and he'd be "very careful about using our troops as nation builders."


    10/11/00 In a subsequent debate, Bush says: "If we're an arrogant nation, they'll resent us. If we're a humble nation, but strong, they'll welcome us."

    1/30/01 Saddam's removal is top item of Bush's inaugural national security meeting. Treasury Secretary Paul O'Neill later recalls, "It was all about finding a way to do it. The president saying, 'Go find me a way to do this.'" [Date the public knew: 1/10/04]

    2/26/01 Future Iraq Ambassador L. Paul Bremer III says: "The new administration seems to be paying no attention to the problem of terrorism." [Date the public knew: 4/29/04]

    9/11/01 Al Qaeda attacks. Minutes taken by a Rumsfeld aide five hours later: "Best info fast. Judge whether good enough [to] hit SH [Saddam Hussein] @ same time. Not only UBL [Usama bin Laden]." [Date the public knew: 9/4/02]


    9/12/01 According to counterterror czar Richard Clarke, "[Bush] told us, 'I want you, as soon as you can, to go back over everything, everything. See if Saddam did this.'" Told evidence against Al Qaeda overwhelming, Bush asks for "any shred" Saddam was involved. [Date the public knew: 3/22/04]

    Lie by Lie: A Timeline of How We Got Into Iraq | Mother Jones

  10. #340
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    05-04-15 @ 04:39 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    2,422

    Re: Iraq insurgents take Saddam's home town in lightning advance

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Fabulous View Post
    But we do know that Reagan executed a specific strategy to end the cold war, and guess what? It ended. For that matter, Nixon ended Vietnam, too. A war started by... who was that again? And there was also the Civil Rights Act... but maybe this is just a little too much at one time?
    Name the policy? So you are arguing communism isn't a failed policy?


    ONE policy CONservatives have EVER been on the correct side of history on? 9hint, they weren't on civil rights)

Page 34 of 111 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •