Page 33 of 111 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383 ... LastLast
Results 321 to 330 of 1110

Thread: Iraq insurgents take Saddam's home town in lightning advance [W:246, 565, *656*]

  1. #321
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    05-04-15 @ 04:39 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    2,422

    Re: Iraq insurgents take Saddam's home town in lightning advance

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Fabulous View Post
    Reagan did a pretty good job ending the cold war.
    Name the policy?

    The Whitewashing of Ronald Reagan

    Did Reagan end the Cold War? Immediately after the Berlin Wall fell, a USA Today survey found that only 14% of respondents believed that. Historians mostly credit forty years of “Containment” by eight U.S. presidents.


    As Tony Judt’s Postwar concluded: “…Washington did not ‘bring down’ Communism – Communism imploded of its own accord.”

    Vox Verax: The Whitewashing of Ronald Reagan


    I THOUGH COMMUNISM IS JUST A FAILURE? Which one, Reagan or communism?

  2. #322
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,219

    Re: Iraq insurgents take Saddam's home town in lightning advance

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    A false comparison. Nations and situations are not alike. Iraq was a completely different situation, lacking a people that had enough similarities to ever adjust as those countries did. They have a long history of being divided, or having differing beliefs and holding grudges. It's a logical mistake to make that comparison.
    So does Asia and Europe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  3. #323
    Sage



    Jack Fabulous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    midwest
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    10,703
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Iraq insurgents take Saddam's home town in lightning advance

    Quote Originally Posted by dad2three2001 View Post
    Name the policy?

    The Whitewashing of Ronald Reagan

    Did Reagan end the Cold War? Immediately after the Berlin Wall fell, a USA Today survey found that only 14% of respondents believed that. Historians mostly credit forty years of “Containment” by eight U.S. presidents.


    As Tony Judt’s Postwar concluded: “…Washington did not ‘bring down’ Communism – Communism imploded of its own accord.”

    Vox Verax: The Whitewashing of Ronald Reagan


    I THOUGH COMMUNISM IS JUST A FAILURE? Which one, Reagan or communism?
    Don't give me this patronizing bull****. You asked for a CON policy success and I gave you one. Also, a "USA Today survey" is about as scientific as voodoo.

  4. #324
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    05-04-15 @ 04:39 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    2,422

    Re: Iraq insurgents take Saddam's home town in lightning advance

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Fabulous View Post
    Don't give me this patronizing bull****. You asked for a CON policy success and I gave you one. Also, a "USA Today survey" is about as scientific as voodoo.
    So you can't name a policy Reagan used to bring down the USSR? Thanks, got it...

    I thought maybe Poppy Bush should get credit, since he was in office when it happened?

    So communism isn't a failed economic or political philosophy, Reagan just gave his speeches and USSR caved? Is that the CONservative position?

    AFGHANISTAN ring a bell?

  5. #325
    Educator Coin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Albania
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    907

    Re: Iraq insurgents take Saddam's home town in lightning advance

    I bet the prison breaks of 2013 around that region led to this today.

    However, have to notice that the rapid advance is amazing. Curious who is that general leading the tactics.
    Envidia te mata !!!

    The blind leading the blind !!!


  6. #326
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,219

    Re: Iraq insurgents take Saddam's home town in lightning advance

    Quote Originally Posted by dad2three2001 View Post
    And Bush couldn't wait to invade. Which one hurt more?
    There's no evidence that Bush, "couldn't wait to invade".
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  7. #327
    Sage



    Jack Fabulous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    midwest
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    10,703
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Iraq insurgents take Saddam's home town in lightning advance

    Quote Originally Posted by dad2three2001 View Post
    So you can't name a policy Reagan used to bring down the USSR? Thanks, got it...

    I thought maybe Poppy Bush should get credit, since he was in office when it happened?

    So communism isn't a failed economic or political philosophy, Reagan just gave his speeches and USSR caved? Is that the CONservative position?

    AFGHANISTAN ring a bell?
    Are there any additional strawmen that you wish to construct to distract from the fact that you asked for, and received, a conservative policy success?

  8. #328
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    05-04-15 @ 04:39 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    2,422

    Re: Iraq insurgents take Saddam's home town in lightning advance

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Fabulous View Post
    Don't give me this patronizing bull****. You asked for a CON policy success and I gave you one. Also, a "USA Today survey" is about as scientific as voodoo.
    How Republicans created the myth of Ronald Reagan


    The myth of Ronald Reagan was already looming in the spring of 1997 — when a highly popular President Bill Clinton was launching his second-term, pre-Monica Lewinsky, and the Republican brand seemed at low ebb. But what neoconservative activist Grover Norquist and his allies proposed that spring was virtually unheard of — an active, mapped-out, audacious campaign to spread a distorted vision of Reagan’s legacy across America.

    In a sense, some of the credit for triggering this may belong to those supposedly liberal editors at the New York Times, and their decision at the end of 1996 to publish that Arthur Schlesinger Jr. survey of the presidents. The below-average rating by the historians for Reagan, coming right on the heels of Clintons’ easy reelection victory, was a wake-up call for these people who came to Washington in the 1980s as the shock troops of a revolution and now saw everything slipping away.


    ...The coming contours of the Reagan myth were neatly laid out in a series of short essays from the leaders of the conservative movement: that the Gipper deserved all or at least most of the credit for winning the Cold War, that the economic boom that Americans were enjoying in 1997 was the result of the Reagan tax cut (and not the march toward balanced budgets, lower interest rates and targeted investment), and that the biggest problem with the GOP was, as the title suggested, not Reagan’s legacy but a new generation of weak-kneed leaders who were getting it all wrong.

    How Republicans created the myth of Ronald Reagan - Salon.com


    James Hershberg: Reagan Should Not be Given Credit for Defeating the Soviet Union--It's More Complicated than that


    Historians abhor the idea of attributing a vast, complex phenomenon to a single cause. No one person brought down the Soviet Union, but if I had to choose the one who mattered most, that person would not be Reagan, most of whose policies fit comfortably in the Cold War tradition of containment followed dutifully by presidents from Truman to Carter.

    Rather, the historical wild card was Mikhail Gorbachev


    History News Network | James Hershberg: Reagan Should Not be Given Credit for Defeating the Soviet Union--It's More Complicated than that

  9. #329
    Sage



    Jack Fabulous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    midwest
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    10,703
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Iraq insurgents take Saddam's home town in lightning advance

    Quote Originally Posted by dad2three2001 View Post
    How Republicans created the myth of Ronald Reagan


    The myth of Ronald Reagan was already looming in the spring of 1997 — when a highly popular President Bill Clinton was launching his second-term, pre-Monica Lewinsky, and the Republican brand seemed at low ebb. But what neoconservative activist Grover Norquist and his allies proposed that spring was virtually unheard of — an active, mapped-out, audacious campaign to spread a distorted vision of Reagan’s legacy across America.

    In a sense, some of the credit for triggering this may belong to those supposedly liberal editors at the New York Times, and their decision at the end of 1996 to publish that Arthur Schlesinger Jr. survey of the presidents. The below-average rating by the historians for Reagan, coming right on the heels of Clintons’ easy reelection victory, was a wake-up call for these people who came to Washington in the 1980s as the shock troops of a revolution and now saw everything slipping away.


    ...The coming contours of the Reagan myth were neatly laid out in a series of short essays from the leaders of the conservative movement: that the Gipper deserved all or at least most of the credit for winning the Cold War, that the economic boom that Americans were enjoying in 1997 was the result of the Reagan tax cut (and not the march toward balanced budgets, lower interest rates and targeted investment), and that the biggest problem with the GOP was, as the title suggested, not Reagan’s legacy but a new generation of weak-kneed leaders who were getting it all wrong.

    How Republicans created the myth of Ronald Reagan - Salon.com


    James Hershberg: Reagan Should Not be Given Credit for Defeating the Soviet Union--It's More Complicated than that


    Historians abhor the idea of attributing a vast, complex phenomenon to a single cause. No one person brought down the Soviet Union, but if I had to choose the one who mattered most, that person would not be Reagan, most of whose policies fit comfortably in the Cold War tradition of containment followed dutifully by presidents from Truman to Carter.

    Rather, the historical wild card was Mikhail Gorbachev


    History News Network | James Hershberg: Reagan Should Not be Given Credit for Defeating the Soviet Union--It's More Complicated than that
    A Reagan hit piece from Salon.com.

    Gotcha.

  10. #330
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    05-04-15 @ 04:39 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    2,422

    Re: Iraq insurgents take Saddam's home town in lightning advance

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Fabulous View Post
    Are there any additional strawmen that you wish to construct to distract from the fact that you asked for, and received, a conservative policy success?

    Sure, as long as you say it was CONservative policy that ended communism, not communism itself that imploded, I guess you must be right *shaking head*

    The point made, to the right winger, like ALL CONservative policies, Bush's invasion on false premises was MORE CONservative failed policy. I think Iraq, the nation Bush invaded, was the topic?

Page 33 of 111 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •