Page 26 of 111 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 1110

Thread: Iraq insurgents take Saddam's home town in lightning advance [W:246, 565, *656*]

  1. #251
    Curmudgeon


    LowDown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,574
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Iraq insurgents take Saddam's home town in lightning advance

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    The USA should never have gotten involved in Iraq and I don't see any reason why the USA should get in the middle of this mess.

    Let them people solve their own problems.
    We still have the same concerns about the stability of the region that we had back when Clinton was President.

    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --HL Mencken

  2. #252
    Curmudgeon


    LowDown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,574
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Iraq insurgents take Saddam's home town in lightning advance

    Quote Originally Posted by Risky Thicket View Post
    We never should have had troops in Iraq. It is a grand disaster and much of the it is due to the United States.

    Prediction: We have not and we will not learn to leave sovereign nations the feck alone. Everyone, again and again, will suffer except the profiteers and the ones of give the orders. It will not stop until each American feels the profound sacrifice inherent in waging war.
    The Western world can't be cut off from the oil. It's a classic issue of national security. Global security, in fact.

    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --HL Mencken

  3. #253
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Iraq insurgents take Saddam's home town in lightning advance

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    Syria is out of the picture. When ISIS forces are done with Iraq, they will turn back to Syria and finish there as well.
    Depends if we agree with Russia to boost the Syrian Army enough to hammer them. This whole thing is a hot mess with the Kurds just taking over Kirkuk. And Turkey says they may get involved, and Biden just told Baghdad we're in, so I'm not sure where this is heading?
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  4. #254
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Iraq insurgents take Saddam's home town in lightning advance

    Quote Originally Posted by radioman View Post

    I heard many Obama detractors state that the withdrawal had been brokered by the previous administration.
    That is a fact. The Bush administration set the framework for withdraw from Iraq.
    Quote Originally Posted by radioman View Post
    Therefore, the prez deserved no credit.
    Now, when the long-predicted chaos unfolds, Obama's to blame?
    That would assume that Obama made zero changes and followed the Bush plan 100%. I don't think anyone would believe that, and while blame does probably belong to Obama's administration at some level, it didn't stop them from "Mission Accomplished" and taking credit for it in 2010.




    Quote Originally Posted by radioman View Post
    Yeah, the smart thing to do is keep our soldiers stationed between warring factions.
    Sort of a buffer zone, eh?
    That way, we can sacrifice more Americans for the false hope of Middle-Eastern democracy.
    No, better to let them kill each other and ignore them unless they start attacking us or our allies. Then we simply bomb them back to the stone age, rinse, repeat. If Iraq has taught us anything it's that trying to help these morons is a waste of life and not worth the price.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  5. #255
    feckless bon vivant

    radioman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    lotusland
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 08:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,761

    Re: Iraq insurgents take Saddam's home town in lightning advance

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    We'll have no choice but to go back in with troops.
    No way.
    It is my opinion that Americans are disgusted with the ME and will not support boots on the ground.
    Air raids alone won't help the situation, because the al-Maliki gov't will come under pressure again from the Sunni majority.
    Air raids can help.
    But Iraq needs willing fighters to battle ground troops.
    Are there willing fighters?
    Shiites are the majority in Iraq.

    And the US can't allow that whole region to come under terrorist, Syrian and Iranian control.
    We shall see.
    No matter how cynical I become toward politicians, it's never enough.

  6. #256
    feckless bon vivant

    radioman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    lotusland
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 08:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,761

    Re: Iraq insurgents take Saddam's home town in lightning advance

    [QUOTE=Ockham;1063394225]



    No, better to let them kill each other and ignore them unless they start attacking us or our allies. Then we simply bomb them back to the stone age, rinse, repeat. If Iraq has taught us anything it's that trying to help these morons is a waste of life and not worth the price.[/QUOTE]

    Excellent post.
    This last portion is not arguable.
    No matter how cynical I become toward politicians, it's never enough.

  7. #257
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Iraq insurgents take Saddam's home town in lightning advance [W:246]

    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    Iraq insurgents take Saddam's home town in lightning advance



    Iraq is going down fast. The US should never have pulled troops out. We should have been resolved to be there for decades, like in Germany, Japan, and South Korea.
    Iraq is not going down fast...only parts of it are (for now).

    Most of Mosul and Tikrit are tradition Sunni areas.

    ISIS is not a huge group, but they are determined and the Iraqi army is a joke right now. I read that the latter outnumbered ISIS 15 to 1 in Mosul. But because the Iraqi Army is a mess, they just fled.

    There is no way ISIS has enough manpower/firepower to take Baghdad...not even close.

    The question is will America drive ISIS back to Syria with air strikes? And will Iran come and help it's Shia 'brothers'? If so, will other countries get involved?

    Or will ISIS run a quasi-country in eastern Syria/western-northern (outside of Kurdish territory) Iraq?
    Last edited by DA60; 06-12-14 at 05:03 PM.

  8. #258
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Iraq insurgents take Saddam's home town in lightning advance

    Quote Originally Posted by radioman View Post
    No way.
    It is my opinion that Americans are disgusted with the ME and will not support boots on the ground.


    Air raids can help.
    But Iraq needs willing fighters to battle ground troops.
    Are there willing fighters?
    Shiites are the majority in Iraq.



    We shall see.

    This is NOT a left vs right situation at all. This is a National Defense situation, where we'll definitely be doing something.

    Sunni are an Arab majority and if this turns into a Shiite and Sunni battle, expect Iran and the Saudi's to get directly involved. As a matter of fact, the Iranian's have added their Al-Quds Force to help the ISIS take over Tikrit.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  9. #259
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    30,032

    Re: Iraq insurgents take Saddam's home town in lightning advance

    Sadly as predicted before we even invaded, after Bush announced it. We never had a real plan for 'bringing them democracy,' that just sounded good and they figured everybody wants democracy...yippee! It'll be easy. It helped sell the bull****, unnecessary war.

    What a ****ing loser, him and Cheney, to have wasted so many lives and trillions of dollars for nothing.

    For that $, we could have had every residential home and building in the US set up for solar power. (It's approx $40,000/one family home, & works even here in the cloudy NW)

    Not only that, we would have probably succeeded in Afghanistan, where we were winning until we turned our attention to Iraq and could be out of there by now too, with our soldiers not still being killed and maimed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  10. #260
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,595

    Re: Iraq insurgents take Saddam's home town in lightning advance

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    no. both administrations, both parties, the entire united states are shackled to the corpses of the afghanistan/iraq wars. 14 years of misguided, foolish, and pointless war.
    14 years?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

Page 26 of 111 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •