Page 40 of 44 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast
Results 391 to 400 of 431

Thread: House Majority Leader Cantor loses GOP primary to tea-party challenger[W:243:247:349]

  1. #391
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,763

    Re: Eric Cantor is Gone

    And, in related News, Eric Cantor today has come out in favor of unemployment benefits.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  2. #392
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Eric Cantor is Gone

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Another target for the Democrats is what that means. Depending on the level of nuttery of this particular candidate.
    Brat criticizes the political Right for simultaneously advancing the pursuit of individual liberty while pushing laws restricting abortion, gay marriage and gambling, and the Left for coercing others to "fund every social program under the sun."[39]
    David Brat’s Writings: Hitler

    Good luck, because he doesn't sound all that extreme to me from what I've read here.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  3. #393
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Eric Cantor is Gone

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    And, in related News, Eric Cantor today has come out in favor of unemployment benefits.
    Has he not been in favor previously? Seems they've been handing out benefits left and right.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  4. #394
    Professor
    Checkerboard Strangler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Last Seen
    11-12-17 @ 02:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,475

    Re: Eric Cantor is Gone

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    David Brat’s Writings: Hitler

    Good luck, because he doesn't sound all that extreme to me from what I've read here.
    Christian capitalism might be considered extreme, just saying...

    jesus_temple.jpg
    If I didn't respond to your diatribe, it's possible you may have
    engaged in revisionism or broad sweeping generalizations.
    I don't have time for either, and you're probably on my IGNORE list.

  5. #395
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Eric Cantor is Gone

    Quote Originally Posted by Checkerboard Strangler View Post
    Christian capitalism might be considered extreme, just saying...
    Can you elaborate on this point please?

  6. #396
    Professor
    Checkerboard Strangler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Last Seen
    11-12-17 @ 02:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,475

    Re: Eric Cantor is Gone

    Well first of all it's a tongue in cheek comment.
    There actually IS something known as "Christian capitalism", just as there's also Islamic Banking Laws, and the like.
    I question the notion however that Christianity is a source tool for the practice of an economic ideology beyond simple morals and ethics that
    might be found in any established faith, but more importantly I question the notion that Christian capitalism gives license to the interpretation of
    wealth generation because Christian scripture is open to so many interpretations and sub-sects that the first question is, WHICH Christian faith is considered
    the standard?

    Should we adhere to the tenets of Southern Baptists? What about Episcopals? Catholics? Unitarian Universalists? Seventh Day Adventists? Mormons?
    And what about the Jews? Are they hereby cut out because they don't see Christ as the Messiah?

    Generally speaking, Christ commands his followers to be generous, compassionate and mindful of the needs of the poor and he admonishes those who would
    interpret their own great wealth as a sign that they are good practitioners of faith. He makes clear in his teachings that wealth on Earth is not the same as wealth in the Kingdom of Heaven.

    That's in direct opposition to the currently popular "prosperity gospels" being hawked around the megachurch universe.
    Thus we're already in the middle of theological arguments before we even start. And I call into question any notion that Christianity pays homage to any form of
    socially darwinistic attitudes toward the less fortunate.

    So for me at the very least, the question of Christianity being the most important template for an economic blueprint is not settled because interpretations of any religion are always unsettled, due to their nature.

    I particularly take exception to fundamentalist interpretations of religion OR economics, or both.
    If I didn't respond to your diatribe, it's possible you may have
    engaged in revisionism or broad sweeping generalizations.
    I don't have time for either, and you're probably on my IGNORE list.

  7. #397
    Professor
    Checkerboard Strangler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Last Seen
    11-12-17 @ 02:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,475

    Re: Eric Cantor is Gone

    And then there's this of course...

    AYNRANDRepubs-DoingItWrong.jpg
    If I didn't respond to your diatribe, it's possible you may have
    engaged in revisionism or broad sweeping generalizations.
    I don't have time for either, and you're probably on my IGNORE list.

  8. #398
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    05-04-15 @ 04:39 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    2,422

    Re: Eric Cantor is Gone

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    David Brat’s Writings: Hitler

    Good luck, because he doesn't sound all that extreme to me from what I've read here.


    Of course not, from someone who misquotes Reagan AND his position on civil rights. Shocking

  9. #399
    Sage
    Anthony60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,573

    Re: Eric Cantor is Gone

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    David Bratís Writings: Hitler

    Good luck, because he doesn't sound all that extreme to me from what I've read here.
    Wow, they are already becoming hysterical about him, as in that article. The guy is a solid conservative that supports the Constitution. The support of our Constitution should be the number one concern of any voter when they hit the voting booth.

    Obviously, there are many in Congress, and the White House, that don't like our Constitution and want to get rid of it or ignore it. Thus, supporting the Constitution is considered "extreme" to them, just like our Founders.
    "We have met the enemy and they are ours..." -- Oliver Hazard Perry
    "I don't want a piece of you... I want the whole thing!" -- Bob Barker

  10. #400
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,988

    Re: Eric Cantor is Gone

    Looks good to me! The more extreme the right, the better chance for Democrats.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

Page 40 of 44 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •