Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 108

Thread: Big Loss of Teachers Union in California

  1. #41
    Educator Amandi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Delaware
    Last Seen
    06-19-15 @ 02:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    905
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Big Loss of Teachers Union in California

    Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    We (all taxpayers footing the bill) should get a vote on the contract.
    If that is feasible that can be done. However, the US is built on a representative government model and as such the School Board is who is elected to vote on the contract and pay. Hold the School Board accountable.

  2. #42
    Educator Amandi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Delaware
    Last Seen
    06-19-15 @ 02:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    905
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Big Loss of Teachers Union in California

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishstyx View Post
    There are labor laws and agencies that enforce those laws that ensure proper work conditions are met. Unions are unnecessary for this in the modern age.
    No, that is incorrect. Which agency ensures that overtime is distributed evenly? Which agency ensures that a supervisor cant change someones schedule on a whim? Which agency ensures that if you get suspended, the management investigated properly and it is a fair punishment?

  3. #43
    Guru
    The Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    York, Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:45 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,730

    Re: Big Loss of Teachers Union in California

    Quote Originally Posted by Amandi View Post
    If that is feasible that can be done. However, the US is built on a representative government model and as such the School Board is who is elected to vote on the contract and pay. Hold the School Board accountable.
    It could easily be done, there's no question about that. I do currently hold my school board accountable, it's a high-turnover job.

  4. #44
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Big Loss of Teachers Union in California

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishstyx View Post
    There are labor laws and agencies that enforce those laws that ensure proper work conditions are met. Unions are unnecessary for this in the modern age.
    Why do I sense that in other threads about other topics you'd decry too much government and say we should leave things to people to work out amongst themselves?
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  5. #45
    Guru
    The Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    York, Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:45 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,730

    Big Loss of Teachers Union in California

    Quote Originally Posted by Amandi View Post
    No, that is incorrect. Which agency ensures that overtime is distributed evenly? Which agency ensures that a supervisor cant change someones schedule on a whim? Which agency ensures that if you get suspended, the management investigated properly and it is a fair punishment?
    Teachers don't get overtime, they're salaried, not hourly. They do get extra compensation for extra activities like coaching, clubs, etc. They deserve that.

    They are salaried professionals. Schedules of salaried professionals can, and sometimes do fluctuate.

  6. #46
    Professor

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-16 @ 07:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,526

    Re: Big Loss of Teachers Union in California

    Quote Originally Posted by Amandi View Post
    No, that is incorrect. Which agency ensures that overtime is distributed evenly? Which agency ensures that a supervisor cant change someones schedule on a whim? Which agency ensures that if you get suspended, the management investigated properly and it is a fair punishment?
    Sadly, there is a belief that none of this can be done without unions. Bottom line, good managers do this without everyday. And if you work somewhere where they don't and you're a good performer, go somewhere else.

    What you described is just as important for management as they want a productive work force. Unfairness is counter to producing that.

  7. #47
    Professor

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-16 @ 07:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,526

    Re: Big Loss of Teachers Union in California

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Why do I sense that in other threads about other topics you'd decry too much government and say we should leave things to people to work out amongst themselves?
    Well, that would depend on the topic. Generally, safety regulations exist for reason and most are reactive based on an incident(s). I would decry them too much as its what I do for a living. Laws and regulations should be reactive. There is nothing worse than a law or regulations dreamed up by bureaucrats sitting in a room in DC. Most are simply solutions looking for a problem which as utterly exploded in the last 10 years or so.

  8. #48
    Battle Ready
    Grim17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwestern U.S.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,137
    Blog Entries
    20

    Re: Big Loss of Teachers Union in California

    The teachers loss is the students gain.

  9. #49
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Big Loss of Teachers Union in California

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishstyx View Post
    Sadly, there is a belief that none of this can be done without unions. Bottom line, good managers do this without everyday. And if you work somewhere where they don't and you're a good performer, go somewhere else.

    What you described is just as important for management as they want a productive work force. Unfairness is counter to producing that.
    Ah, the standard Libertarian Utopian Fantasyland... if it isn't to your liking just go somewhere else. After all, good jobs are ripe for the picking, we just have to reach to the lowest branch and pick one.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  10. #50
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Big Loss of Teachers Union in California

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishstyx View Post
    Well, that would depend on the topic. Generally, safety regulations exist for reason and most are reactive based on an incident(s). I would decry them too much as its what I do for a living. Laws and regulations should be reactive. There is nothing worse than a law or regulations dreamed up by bureaucrats sitting in a room in DC. Most are simply solutions looking for a problem which as utterly exploded in the last 10 years or so.
    Unions have indeed gone way beyond their legitimate purpose, but I believe that nobody would like the results if they were to go away completely. The domino-effect would not be good.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •