Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 108

Thread: Big Loss of Teachers Union in California

  1. #31
    Educator Amandi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Delaware
    Last Seen
    06-19-15 @ 02:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    905
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Big Loss of Teachers Union in California

    Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    So then why don't they do only that, and leave the compensation out of it?
    Because we let them.

  2. #32
    Guru
    The Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    York, Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:37 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,733

    Re: Big Loss of Teachers Union in California

    Quote Originally Posted by Amandi View Post
    Because we let them.
    Shame on us.

  3. #33
    Sage
    Medusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Turkey
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    38,081

    Re: Big Loss of Teachers Union in California

    Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    Who said they don't?
    but you speak as if they are your "paid workers "

    teaching isnt easy..
    "Sovereignty is not given, it is taken." ATATÜRK

  4. #34
    Educator Amandi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Delaware
    Last Seen
    06-19-15 @ 02:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    905
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Big Loss of Teachers Union in California

    Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    Shame on us.
    I agree. Whoever is agreeing to the contract should pay more attention to that.

  5. #35
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: Big Loss of Teachers Union in California

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishstyx View Post
    Huge loss: teachers unions in California case - POLITICO.com

    This case is a pretty big deal. Hope the movement spreads across the nation like a wild fire. Think the biggest is getting rid of statutory restrictions in firing d-bag teachers making extremely expensive and timely. The immediate dismissal of substandard teachers is a no brainer. The removal of the tenure system would help to prevent complacency in tenured teachers.
    Good. 'Bout time.


    Quote Originally Posted by azgreg View Post
    Good. I think unions could be good, but more often than not they are more destructive.
    They have evolved to that point, yes. One might even say they've become self-destructive.


    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Yeah, I mean look at how much worse working conditions have gotten since unions first formed.
    This is a classic example that the human species doesn't know when to stop. Doesn't know when well enough is good enough. Unions do indeed serve a positive purpose, and we would not be well-served if they were to disappear completely, but when they started blindly defending clearly grossly incompetent workers, as just one example, that was too much and it was only a matter of time when they'd get reined in.


    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    education shouldnt be a part of labor market
    They are part of the labor market. They're teachers, there's nothing special or magical about them.


    Quote Originally Posted by Fishstyx View Post
    Safe working conditions have been codified. So if thats their only useful purpose, they're not necessary anymore. The union pendulum has swung way past the point of reason. Any objective observer can see it.
    Not everything has been codified, nor should it be. If unions were to disappear entirely there'd be a lot of backsliding.


    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    It's been my experience that most of the people supporting public sector unions are (or were) members of same. Hardly impartial.
    Not I. I have never been a public employee (excepting military service). I disagree with the premise simply because not even government employees should be treated as second-class citizens. In America we have the right to organize. There is no "America Jr", nor should there be.
    Last edited by radcen; 06-10-14 at 07:34 PM.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  6. #36
    Preserve Protect Defend
    Beaudreaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Covfefe, NC
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 05:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,566

    Re: Big Loss of Teachers Union in California

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Yeah, I mean look at how much worse working conditions have gotten since unions first formed.
    Yup. We have OSHA, and a lot of other good benefits from unions that fought for those things back in the turn of the last century up to about 50 to 60 years ago... then the corruption started, and it became nothing but about money. More money. And public sector unions? They want my money. More of my money. Yup, those unions are great... well... at least they once were.

  7. #37
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: Big Loss of Teachers Union in California

    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    yes thats why education shouldnt be a part of any market.
    You make no sense. Where else will teachers come from, except from an open market of available potential employees?
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  8. #38
    Guru
    The Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    York, Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:37 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,733

    Re: Big Loss of Teachers Union in California

    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    but you speak as if they are your "paid workers "

    teaching isnt easy..
    Public school teachers, public sector employees in general are our paid workers. Who said teaching is easy? I certainly didn't. I know that teaching isn't easy.

  9. #39
    Guru
    The Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    York, Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:37 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,733

    Re: Big Loss of Teachers Union in California

    Quote Originally Posted by Amandi View Post
    I agree. Whoever is agreeing to the contract should pay more attention to that.
    We (all taxpayers footing the bill) should get a vote on the contract.

  10. #40
    Professor

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-16 @ 07:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,526

    Re: Big Loss of Teachers Union in California

    Quote Originally Posted by Amandi View Post
    Public sector unions are important to ensure proper work conditions are met. I do agree that no one should be forced to join a union but that would also mean that the union shouldnt be forced to defend them either.
    There are labor laws and agencies that enforce those laws that ensure proper work conditions are met. Unions are unnecessary for this in the modern age.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •