Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 119

Thread: Billionaire Pleads Guilty to Sexual Assault Charge

  1. #61
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,949

    Re: Billionaire Pleads Guilty to Sexual Assault Charge

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    From USA Today:

    In considering the sentence, Judge Eugene Gasiorkiewicz acknowledged that neither the girl nor her mother wanted a case brought against Johnson. Authorities only became aware of the allegations after the 59-year-old sought counseling at a clinic in Scottsdale, Arizona, where he made an undisclosed comment that triggered a mandatory report. Billionaire pleads guilty to sexual assault
    He pled guilty to the misdemeanor, not the felony. Even if he had gotten the 1 year maximum (not sure why he didn't) which would undoubtably have still been looked at as exceptionally light punishment.

    Without the mother or daughter testifying the DA seemed to believe he couldn't have gotten a conviction based on the felony, so it appears a deal was made to drop it to a misdemeanor and then the scumbag would plead guilty to that...which lead to the significantly low sentence.

    -editing out because I misread the intent of the post-

  2. #62
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,606

    Re: Billionaire Pleads Guilty to Sexual Assault Charge

    Quote Originally Posted by Jango View Post
    Can you show me a case with the same charge & conviction with an average Joe? Yes? I'll concede that you're right.
    how many such cases actually are subjected to a google search? I'd have to know a defendant's name to pull them up on the court system I have access to. I am just going on 30 years of being some type of prosecutor/LEO. its a misdemeanor. I earned over 150 MI convictions at what point of my career-DUIs, assault, theft, Carry a concealed weapon other than a firearm, menacing, simple possession of certain narcotics. NO ONE got more than 10-15 days on a first offense. four months with a 6 thousand dollar fine was generally for 3-4th repeat offense for say DUI or assault



  3. #63
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,949

    Re: Billionaire Pleads Guilty to Sexual Assault Charge

    Quote Originally Posted by Jango View Post
    Obviously the prosecution had enough for a conviction.
    And you base this on your extensive knowledge of the case? Because every actual article on the case suggests they DIDN'T have enough to convict at the felony level without the mother and daughter, and the DA apparently didn't feel that way either given the fact they cut a deal to get a guilty plead to a lower penalty.

    As an aside - what "agenda" do you think I'm pushing?
    An agenda aimed at attacking the wealthy in a general sense, so much so that you take a situation where there's no evidence what so ever that wealth had anything to do with it and dishonestly presented it as an indictment of the wealthy in our society.

  4. #64
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,891

    Re: Billionaire Pleads Guilty to Sexual Assault Charge

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    He pled guilty to the misdemeanor, NOT the felony. Even if he had gotten the 1 year maximum (not sure why he didn't) which would undoubtably have still been looked at as exceptionally light punishment.

    Without the mother or daughter testifying the DA seemed to believe he couldn't have gotten a conviction based on the felony, so it appears a deal was made to drop it to a misdemeanor and then the scumbag would plead guilty to that...which lead to the significantly low sentence.

    Showing he plead guilty to the Misdemeanor, where the highest penalty he could've suffered was one year, is hardly any counter what so ever to my comment....so what exactly was the point you were trying to make since you didn't bother to actually vocalize any kind of intelligent argument and instead just posted a link?
    Wow, Zyphlin, where did this come from?

    I posted it what I did because I thought you would find it interesting. I wasn't trying to counter what you were saying at all.

  5. #65
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,949

    Re: Billionaire Pleads Guilty to Sexual Assault Charge

    Quote Originally Posted by Jango View Post
    Can you show me a case with the same charge & conviction with an average Joe? Yes? I'll concede that you're right.
    You're the one that made the claim this is an example of the wealthy being treated differently in the league system. So please, provide the evidence that backs up your assertion that this had to do with his wealth and thus is such an example.

  6. #66
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,949

    Re: Billionaire Pleads Guilty to Sexual Assault Charge

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    Wow, Zyphlin, where did this come from?
    From a misunderstanding as to your point Without anything but the quoted story I had no real way of knowing what you were trying to say or do. Obviously I guess wrong as to your intent. My apologies.

  7. #67
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,949

    Re: Billionaire Pleads Guilty to Sexual Assault Charge

    The sad thing is, from the sounds of what he did, I'd love to see this guy get significantly more than this. And I'd love to know why the mom and the daughter won't testify. But the sad realities is sometimes in our legal system people do horrible things and get away with less than they probably should because of the protections we have built into the system. Much like the Westboro people and the first amendment, sometimes we have to take this kind of bad with the good as it comes to our rights under the legal system.

    If you think the guy deserves a stronger punishment then he got, I understand. I feel the same way. But from the information available the culprit isn't his wealth, it's the way our legal system works.

  8. #68
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Last Seen
    01-28-15 @ 06:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    5,587
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Billionaire Pleads Guilty to Sexual Assault Charge

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    indictment of the wealthy in our society.
    Which needs to happen on a much larger & grander scale.

    Why?

    Because they are the power players I.e. aristocracy in this thing we call life.

  9. #69
    Paying To Play
    AJiveMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    wisconSIN
    Last Seen
    05-15-15 @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,775

    Re: Billionaire Pleads Guilty to Sexual Assault Charge

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    that is a normal sentence for fourth degree sexual assault. for example, in ohio the maximum for DUI is 6 months and the average sentence for a first time offender is THREE Days. So getting one third of the maximum sentence is actually a pretty stiff sentence for a first time offender
    I don't think so, it was, or they were vying for a felony charge, but since the victims didn't wish to cooperate, the charge was reduced to a misdemeanor.

  10. #70
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,329

    Re: Billionaire Pleads Guilty to Sexual Assault Charge

    Quote Originally Posted by Jango View Post
    Which needs to happen on a much larger & grander scale.

    Why?

    Because they are the power players I.e. aristocracy in this thing we call life.
    Are you suggesting that people who can be considered rich be deprived of their constitutional rights?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •