Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 106

Thread: North Korea says it is holding American tourist for unspecified violations

  1. #61
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,580

    Re: North Korea says it is holding American tourist for unspecified violations

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    In 2009 289 US tourists visited the DPRK. The number has slowly been rising. There are 3 US detannes in Korea. Ill take my chances.
    So your odds of getting thrown into a NK prison, where you have no rights at all, are better than one in a hundred.

    I wonder what the odds of getting thrown into jail in the US, where you do have rights, is for things like stealing cars or shoplifting? I'd be willing to bet they're about the same.

    Would you steal?
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  2. #62
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,910

    Re: North Korea says it is holding American tourist for unspecified violations

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    No definition of socialism fits that definition except the bizarro right wing definition where literally anything they don't like can be described by that word.
    Ding ding ding!

    "Socialism" has basically been redefined to mean "anything that makes American conservatives feel yucky." At which point, it is used to bash liberals.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  3. #63
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: North Korea says it is holding American tourist for unspecified violations

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    So your odds of getting thrown into a NK prison, where you have no rights at all, are better than one in a hundred.

    I wonder what the odds of getting thrown into jail in the US, where you do have rights, is for things like stealing cars or shoplifting? I'd be willing to bet they're about the same.

    Would you steal?
    North Korea has no due process - not to mention, depending on the crime your family will be punished too - for up to 3 generations.

    And their "prison camps" make Soviet Gulags look like hotels.

    North Korea is a totalitarian culture and if you don't play by the rules off you go to prison - basically noting more than accusations alone. NK makes the former USSR look like "freedomland."

    The sad part is that they abduct US citizens for political favors, food aid or money.

    China - a nation which tries to portray itself as a tourist attraction and a good place to do business is doing absolutely nothing about North Korea - if anything they're aiding North Korea with energy, food and munitions.

  4. #64
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: North Korea says it is holding American tourist for unspecified violations

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    Ding ding ding!

    "Socialism" has basically been redefined to mean "anything that makes American conservatives feel yucky." At which point, it is used to bash liberals.
    Take one look at North Korea vs South Korea and now tell me which is the more successful economic model? totalitarian socialism or capitalism?

    I would love to hear your argument on this one.

  5. #65
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,327
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: North Korea says it is holding American tourist for unspecified violations

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    Take one look at North Korea vs South Korea and now tell me which is the more successful economic model? totalitarian socialism or capitalism?

    I would love to hear your argument on this one.
    First of all, no one was arguing the merits of any economic system.

    Secondly NK is not "totalitarian socialism".

    That is an absolutely meaningless ****ing term.

  6. #66
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,910

    Re: North Korea says it is holding American tourist for unspecified violations

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    Take one look at North Korea vs South Korea and now tell me which is the more successful economic model? totalitarian socialism or capitalism?

    I would love to hear your argument on this one.
    In what alternate universe did I claim North Korea was more economically successful than South Korea?

    The point of the post I quoted was that North Korea is hardly a fair representation of a true socialist state. One can argue the merits of capitalism vs. socialism to their heart's content, but to use the DPRK as an example of a socialist state isn't particularly accurate.

    MY point was that most of the things that righties point at and scream "SOCIALISM" about aren't actually socialism.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  7. #67
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: North Korea says it is holding American tourist for unspecified violations

    One of the sadder things I have witnessed from North Korea was a Japanese doctor who went to North Korea to remove cataracts from thousands of patients who couldn't see due to malnutrition - and this doctor did thousands of procedures and you know who the North Koreans thanked? the doctor? hell no - they prayed to a painting of Kim Il-sung as if he was Jesus and was responsible for their vision returning.... That's how totalitarian and brainwashed the state of North Korea actually is.

    They were incapable of realizing a medical doctor helped them, but praised their "dear leader" as the result of their vision returning.

    Now, I will say it is debatable the majority actually believed it was the result of Kim il-sung, however they certainly had to play the role that it was - it was something divine from the "dear leader" or their "God" - when it was nothing more than a Japanese optometrist on a humanitarian mission. And it was quite clear that the lack of gratitude didn't affect him at all - he was just happy he did something nice and helped people.

  8. #68
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: North Korea says it is holding American tourist for unspecified violations

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Yeah, you definitely don't want to take those kinds of laws for granted. Even a country as cosmopolitan as Morocco has stiff laws regarding what is and isn't kosher to photograph. Doing your homework in this area is important.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    Better make sure cameras are legal there first.
    I realize that photography is highly restricted in the DPRK. I also realize they bug your rooms so ill be careful of what I say.


  9. #69
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: North Korea says it is holding American tourist for unspecified violations

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    In what alternate universe did I claim North Korea was more economically successful than South Korea?

    The point of the post I quoted was that North Korea is hardly a fair representation of a true socialist state. One can argue the merits of capitalism vs. socialism to their heart's content, but to use the DPRK as an example of a socialist state isn't particularly accurate.

    MY point was that most of the things that righties point at and scream "SOCIALISM" about aren't actually socialism.
    North Korea is very much a true example of a socialist state....

    Those who support socialism deny the NUMEROUS states that suffer because of socialism and call them "not true socialist states" because it defeats their argument(s) for socialism.

    Show me a socialist paradise, where freedom flows and economy is booming.... Oh you cant because one of the fundamental problems with socialism isn't to create capital - it's to sustain a set amount of a population - until that population gets to large they start their purges and culls.

    As far as I'm concerned socialism is no different than terrorism,

  10. #70
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,910

    Re: North Korea says it is holding American tourist for unspecified violations

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    North Korea is very much a true example of a socialist state....

    Those who support socialism deny the NUMEROUS states that suffer because of socialism and call them "not true socialist states" because it defeats their argument(s) for socialism.

    Show me a socialist paradise, where freedom flows and economy is booming.... Oh you cant because one of the fundamental problems with socialism isn't to create capital - it's to sustain a set amount of a population - until that population gets to large they start their purges and culls.

    As far as I'm concerned socialism is no different than terrorism,
    You still could not be missing the point harder. Not going to waste my time attempting to explain it again.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •