Page 24 of 53 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 524

Thread: Judge strikes down Wisconsin gay marriage ban[W:287:411]

  1. #231
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    re: Judge strikes down Wisconsin gay marriage ban[W:287]

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    Somehow the homosexual community went from being people that were proud of engaging in "an alternative lifestlye" to wanting homosexuality to be considered in every way the same as heterosexuality. The problem I see coming is that once homosexual marriages are legal in all 50 states, the drama will be over and what, then, will the drama queens who sooooo love to be the center of attention have for their next crusade? What will make the "gay and proud of it" people "special" once they get the "normality" they pretend they're seeking?
    Talk about a ridiculous hissy fit. It's like some drama queen wants to be center of attention

  2. #232
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,030

    re: Judge strikes down Wisconsin gay marriage ban[W:287]

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    No, but they violated the 14th just the same when they passed bans against SSM.
    Within the states, absolutely because the US Constitution supersedes any and all state constitutions when it comes to the power held.

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    Right, if it satisfies strict scrutiny/compelling government interest. That was the whole argument over affirmative action for example. Those are rational debates at least. The courts and govt allowing and encouraging SSM bans was always nothing but theocratic nightmare with the ballot process turned into merely a quantification of bigotry throughout the population. Shameful all around
    But those are exceptions that could just as easily be put into the Constitution as just leaving them out. One day they might need to be put into the Constitution, depending on SCOTUS makeup. No SCOTUS is required to observe the rulings of previous Courts. There could come a day when the SCOTUS simply decides that level of scrutiny is bunk, since it isn't in the Constitution, and they strike down something like age of consent laws or age limitations on drinking or contracts. Now, the majority of the population would still very likely support these limitations within laws and could easily get an Amendment that set up levels of scrutiny and/or dictated to the SCOTUS to use levels of scrutiny or simply put age limitations as a valid exemption to equal protection of the 14th in place.

    Most people truly have no issue with exceptions to Constitutional protections the SCOTUS has ruled on as acceptable, mainly because from a reasonable person standpoint, they are reasonable exceptions and pretty consistent in how they are applied.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  3. #233
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    re: Judge strikes down Wisconsin gay marriage ban[W:287]

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Within the states, absolutely because the US Constitution supersedes any and all state constitutions when it comes to the power held.
    Well that's why i don't approve of ballot process. The general public is not legal experts or even generally educated. How can they possibly be called on or allowed to make decisions such as marriage rights or affirmative action? Similarly, they are not economics experts or most even taken a single econ class to competently determine the minimum wage, yet it's on the ballot. At most, general public should pick someone more qualified to make such decisions and even that is pushing it from what i've seen.

  4. #234
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,030

    re: Judge strikes down Wisconsin gay marriage ban[W:287]

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    Well that's why i don't approve of ballot process. The general public is not legal experts or even generally educated. How can they possibly be called on or allowed to make decisions such as marriage rights or affirmative action? Similarly, they are not economics experts or most even taken a single econ class to competently determine the minimum wage, yet it's on the ballot. At most, general public should pick someone more qualified to make such decisions and even that is pushing it from what i've seen.
    I have many issues with referendums as well that have little to do with constitutionality of any law such referendums put into place (I honestly think that most voters simply don't have the knowledge on budgeting that is needed to vote on things that require money be spent to implement those things). But, when it comes to referendums on actually enacting laws like this, I don't like them but they are really very little different than those laws enacted by legislatures, who are just as likely to put into place such things. Heck, in almost all states (if not all), the state legislatures have to vote to put it on the ballot for voters to vote for. It does not, despite popular belief of some anti-ssm people, in any way make a difference in whether or not a state constitutional amendment or state law is violating the US Constitution when it is put into place by a direct vote of the people or simply by the representatives.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  5. #235
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    re: Judge strikes down Wisconsin gay marriage ban[W:287]

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    That's just absurd. Either you know no homosexuals, or you need to change the people you spend time with. Oh, and don't assume that the people who are on TV are your average everyday people. There are some pretty bizarre heterosexuals out there who wouldn't be considered a run-of-the-mill straight.
    I lived in Mid-town Atlanta, the French Quarter, had a homosexual roommate in the Army before don't ask, don't tell and had various and sundry homosexuals trotted into the barracks by him most weekend nights. I've known quite a few homosexuals, so another swing and a miss by the good captain.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  6. #236
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    re: Judge strikes down Wisconsin gay marriage ban[W:287]

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    Well that's why i don't approve of ballot process. The general public is not legal experts or even generally educated. How can they possibly be called on or allowed to make decisions such as marriage rights or affirmative action? Similarly, they are not economics experts or most even taken a single econ class to competently determine the minimum wage, yet it's on the ballot. At most, general public should pick someone more qualified to make such decisions and even that is pushing it from what i've seen.
    Yeah, I think allowing the public to vote against the freedom of the individual inevitably leads to suppression of the rights of the minority.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  7. #237
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,976

    re: Judge strikes down Wisconsin gay marriage ban[W:287]

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    It was voted on years later (I believe it was in 2004 and 2006), after there was a marked increase in support for same sex marriage and a huge loss in support for the Amendment. There were very few Democrats willing to vote for the Amendment (34), and even about as many Republicans voted against it (27) (in 2006). It didn't make it through the Senate either time it went up to them.

    Before DADT, there were tons not allowed in or being kicked out for not only being gay but also lying on their entry paperwork because there was an actual form that people signed that said you weren't homosexual when you joined.

    I joined in 1998. We got no such forms and in fact, even with DADT in place, there was a difference in the treatment of gays (from what I have found out, from both personal accounts and information about it) before and after DADT was put into effect. DADT needed to go, absolutely, so that gays could serve openly, but I don't think it made anything worse for gay military members serving than what existed prior to it being put into place. I'm not saying it made it much better, but it did not make it worse for most.

    Now, on a military retention level, it was an issue because it allowed for some people to have an out by simply claiming they were gay. This one I witnessed personally during school. In fact, after having several students from my class (which started at around 600+ students) sign paperwork claiming they were gay within just a couple of weeks, our Master Chief for our class got us all together and told us that if one more person tried it, he was going to make that person call home and tell their mother/father right there in his office that he/she was gay. It was pretty obvious that DADT was being used to get out of the Navy because the school had gotten too hard for them, at least some of them.
    Were you in the Navy RN? If so, thank you for your service.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  8. #238
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,976

    re: Judge strikes down Wisconsin gay marriage ban[W:287]

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I lived in Mid-town Atlanta, the French Quarter, had a homosexual roommate in the Army before don't ask, don't tell and had various and sundry homosexuals trotted into the barracks by him most weekend nights. I've known quite a few homosexuals, so another swing and a miss by the good captain.
    That's it? "Some of my best friends are gay?"

    No ability to support your claims further?

    LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  9. #239
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,056

    re: Judge strikes down Wisconsin gay marriage ban[W:287]

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Yeah, I think allowing the public to vote against the freedom of the individual inevitably leads to suppression of the rights of the minority.
    It also leads to a lot of the problems we have in California, where people want to vote for new programs, but consistently vote against tax raises to pay for those programs. As awful as so many of the people are who end up going to congress, they're still in a position where they're forced to look at the spending/tax hikes that are a part of instigating new programs, whereas Joe Voter is not. Direct Democracy is dum.

  10. #240
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,056

    re: Judge strikes down Wisconsin gay marriage ban[W:287]

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I lived in Mid-town Atlanta, the French Quarter, had a homosexual roommate in the Army before don't ask, don't tell and had various and sundry homosexuals trotted into the barracks by him most weekend nights. I've known quite a few homosexuals, so another swing and a miss by the good captain.
    [shakes head]

Page 24 of 53 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •