Page 19 of 53 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 524

Thread: Judge strikes down Wisconsin gay marriage ban[W:287:411]

  1. #181
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    re: Judge strikes down Wisconsin gay marriage ban[W:287]

    Quote Originally Posted by Sababa View Post
    No they don't and I didn't say that at all. I guess that is the problem with this kind of bigotry they just don't see homosexuals as humans.
    Again, the REALLY stupid strawman. Or is it so far out in left field that it's just a really stupid non sequitur?
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  2. #182
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    01-15-15 @ 03:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,578

    re: Judge strikes down Wisconsin gay marriage ban[W:287]

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    Again, the REALLY stupid strawman. Or is it so far out in left field that it's just a really stupid non sequitur?
    Which is exactly what you did. In no way did I reduce homosexual to their sexuality.
    Now explain to me why you thought that?

  3. #183
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    re: Judge strikes down Wisconsin gay marriage ban[W:287]

    Quote Originally Posted by Sababa View Post
    Which is exactly what you did. In no way did I reduce homosexual to their sexuality.
    Now explain to me why you thought that?
    I already explained it. If your claim is that sodomy laws make it illegal for homosexuals to "be themselves", then you are defining "themselves" by their sodomy. And the really strange thing is that this isn't strange. It's not strange because homosexuals do that to themselves. The only people in the world that I know of that define themselves primarily by their sexual behavior is the GLBT community. Your post merely reinforced that.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  4. #184
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    01-15-15 @ 03:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,578

    re: Judge strikes down Wisconsin gay marriage ban[W:287]

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I already explained it. If your claim is that sodomy laws make it illegal for homosexuals to "be themselves", then you are defining "themselves" by their sodomy. And the really strange thing is that this isn't strange. It's not strange because homosexuals do that to themselves. The only people in the world that I know of that define themselves primarily by their sexual behavior is the GLBT community. Your post merely reinforced that.
    Oh I don't think you could possibly be that dumb. There were laws against being homosexual......that is an attraction. How they expressed it was through loving relationships. Sex is only part of that. Being oneself is to show their love openly just as heterosexuals do. Or are you saying every time you introduce your spouse you are defining yourself by your sexuality? This is a stupid bigoted approach by the people who don't see gay people as fully human. One's sexuality is part of who they are, forcing some people not to be able to express it publicly (which is not sex but sexuality which includes flirting, love, hand-holding, etc. _) is a crime against humanity. You deserve to be in Den Hague.

  5. #185
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,709

    re: Judge strikes down Wisconsin gay marriage ban[W:287]

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Many of us have known all along that all same sex marriage bans were unconstitutional. Basically, Scalia pointed out what was true but he himself could not see the actual logic in the ruling of Windsor. Windsor gives these judges a case to reference here, but it isn't the reason those bans are unconstitutional. That reference is important in at least some of those states because some states simply have too many people that oppose same sex marriage still (despite that support decreasing every day).

    But just because a ruling can be referenced in foreseeable future cases, does not make the ruling wrong. That is where Scalia's "logic" fails.
    Actually, Scalia knew full well what Windsor meant. He said as much in his dissent.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  6. #186
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    34,936

    re: Judge strikes down Wisconsin gay marriage ban[W:287]

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I already explained it. If your claim is that sodomy laws make it illegal for homosexuals to "be themselves", then you are defining "themselves" by their sodomy. And the really strange thing is that this isn't strange. It's not strange because homosexuals do that to themselves. The only people in the world that I know of that define themselves primarily by their sexual behavior is the GLBT community. Your post merely reinforced that.
    It's easy to understand if you turn it around, i.e. if heterosexual sex were outlawed. While heterosexuals would not define themselves by the sex they have, outlawing heterosexual sex would in fact make it illegal for heterosexuals to be themselves.

  7. #187
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    re: Judge strikes down Wisconsin gay marriage ban[W:287]

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I can't recall any way it has ever been illegal to "be oneself" unless one defines "oneself" by virtue of their sexual activity and that sexual activity is, at the time, illegal.
    On the contrary, many times people did not have to be caught having sex or even proven to have been having sex to get charged with having had sex. Just being in a same sex intimate relationship was enough to warrant the assumption that it involved sex. Even you are making that assumption that sex is involved just because a person is involved in a same sex intimate relationship. It certainly did not require proof of sexual activity with a person of the same sex to get a person committed for being homosexual in the past. All it took was either a confession of the attraction or evidence that the person had the attractions and might be willing to act on those.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  8. #188
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    re: Judge strikes down Wisconsin gay marriage ban[W:287]

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Actually, Scalia knew full well what Windsor meant. He said as much in his dissent.
    Oh he knew what was meant, he simply did not want to accept that the logic given for Windsor was sound for why it violated the Constitution, due mainly to his personal beliefs.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  9. #189
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    re: Judge strikes down Wisconsin gay marriage ban[W:287]

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I already explained it. If your claim is that sodomy laws make it illegal for homosexuals to "be themselves", then you are defining "themselves" by their sodomy. And the really strange thing is that this isn't strange. It's not strange because homosexuals do that to themselves. The only people in the world that I know of that define themselves primarily by their sexual behavior is the GLBT community. Your post merely reinforced that.
    Sodomy laws were not the only things used against homosexuals in the past, even our own history. Prior to its removal as a mental disorder, homosexuality could be used to commit a person involuntarily without any evidence that they were actually having sex with someone of the same sex.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  10. #190
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,709

    re: Judge strikes down Wisconsin gay marriage ban[W:287]

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Oh he knew what was meant, he simply did not want to accept that the logic given for Windsor was sound for why it violated the Constitution, due mainly to his personal beliefs.
    Right. That's why he was whining. I mean "dissenting." His rants in decisions about homosexuality are always entertaining. Ironically, his dissents have just served to provide more ammunition for the equality side.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

Page 19 of 53 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •