Page 18 of 53 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 524

Thread: Judge strikes down Wisconsin gay marriage ban[W:287:411]

  1. #171
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,144

    re: Judge strikes down Wisconsin gay marriage ban[W:287]

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    Reveals the extent of their bigotry quite nicely doesn't it and yeah, it's definitely laugh in their faces time. Although i really think DPs would have just slowed down the fight for marriage, since the significance is more than a word. The federal govt grants over 1000 rights based on marriage license, not DPs, and the federal govt can never agree on anything. Consequently, some of the first states to have DPs now have marriage equality.

    DPs are also absurdly easy to deny rights to, even when they're legal. For instance, the bigot governor in my state opted to prevent partner benefits to state employees who got a DP, in one of the cities that allows those. He said too bad, we require marriage license. It seems close to impossible to make DPs equal with all the legal wrangling that would require, compared to a federal judge simply striking down a state marriage ban.

    I agree that DP's would have just delayed the inevitable....but gay marriage would have been years down the road and would have rolled in at a much slower pace. The snowballing effect we are seeing toda is a direct result of ultra-conseratives fighting against DP's and the effect of the aftermath. They only have themselves to blame.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  2. #172
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    re: Judge strikes down Wisconsin gay marriage ban[W:287]

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    Oh that's just silly.... Gay's who have children, guess what? The bio parent wins... Just like in hetero child rearing.. Oh wait..


    Tim-
    And what's your point? You were saying that SSM shouldn't be allowed because of the children. Lame reason since whether or not SSM is legal, gays can still raise children. Your point was refuted.

  3. #173
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    re: Judge strikes down Wisconsin gay marriage ban[W:287]

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    While looking for more information on the upcoming November elections I cam across this which I thought was a very interesting article.

    Latest Same-Sex Marriage Rulings Prove That Scalia Was Right


    Latest Same-Sex Marriage Rulings Prove That Scalia Was Right | FiveThirtyEight
    Many of us have known all along that all same sex marriage bans were unconstitutional. Basically, Scalia pointed out what was true but he himself could not see the actual logic in the ruling of Windsor. Windsor gives these judges a case to reference here, but it isn't the reason those bans are unconstitutional. That reference is important in at least some of those states because some states simply have too many people that oppose same sex marriage still (despite that support decreasing every day).

    But just because a ruling can be referenced in foreseeable future cases, does not make the ruling wrong. That is where Scalia's "logic" fails.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  4. #174
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    re: Judge strikes down Wisconsin gay marriage ban[W:287]

    Quote Originally Posted by Sababa View Post
    So what you are saying is that homosexual should be happy it is no longer illegal to be themselves. wow just wow.
    Are you saying that homosexuals define themselves entirely by their sex acts? Well, now that you mention it, I guess they do.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  5. #175
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    re: Judge strikes down Wisconsin gay marriage ban[W:287]

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    Are you saying that homosexuals define themselves entirely by their sex acts? Well, now that you mention it, I guess they do.
    Not the argument he made at all.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  6. #176
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    re: Judge strikes down Wisconsin gay marriage ban[W:287]

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Not the argument he made at all.
    Certainly the argument implied by his statement.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  7. #177
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    01-15-15 @ 03:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,578

    re: Judge strikes down Wisconsin gay marriage ban[W:287]

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    Are you saying that homosexuals define themselves entirely by their sex acts? Well, now that you mention it, I guess they do.
    No they don't and I didn't say that at all. I guess that is the problem with this kind of bigotry they just don't see homosexuals as humans.

  8. #178
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    01-15-15 @ 03:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,578

    re: Judge strikes down Wisconsin gay marriage ban[W:287]

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    Certainly the argument implied by his statement.
    ONly to bigots who don't see homosexuals as humans........so can I assume you want them all dead? Why do you want to kill all homosexuals?

  9. #179
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    re: Judge strikes down Wisconsin gay marriage ban[W:287]

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    Certainly the argument implied by his statement.
    More like the argument you wished to read from his statement. Not the argument made when taken in context.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  10. #180
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    re: Judge strikes down Wisconsin gay marriage ban[W:287]

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    More like the argument you wished to read from his statement. Not the argument made when taken in context.
    I can't recall any way it has ever been illegal to "be oneself" unless one defines "oneself" by virtue of their sexual activity and that sexual activity is, at the time, illegal.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

Page 18 of 53 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •