Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 289

Thread: U.S. Adds 217,000 Jobs in May, Unemployment Rate Stays at 6.3%[W:218]

  1. #81
    cynical class clown
    Luftwaffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    CONNECTICUT
    Last Seen
    11-18-17 @ 10:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    10,499

    re: U.S. Adds 217,000 Jobs in May, Unemployment Rate Stays at 6.3%[W:218]

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Research is something that seems to escape liberals. You want badly to believe what you are told. Clinton changed the way unemployment was measured in 1995 with the official rate, the U-3 always being understated.

    http://www.bls.gov/opub/mlr/1995/10/art3full.pdf
    No, it's just that someone made the claim so it is their responsibility to back it up.

    Deviating otherwise would constitute as making a logical fallacy, "shifting the burden of proof", even the most common of morons understand that one (it's practically the most universally understood fallacy).
    -----MOS 19D = cavalry scout = best damn MOS there is

  2. #82
    Bohemian Revolutionary
    Demon of Light's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    03-07-17 @ 12:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,095

    re: U.S. Adds 217,000 Jobs in May, Unemployment Rate Stays at 6.3%[W:218]

    Working-age population has grown by nearly 7 million since 2008 and about 6 million since Lehman:



    In other words, the economy is not even close to having proportionate pre-crisis levels of employment, just numeric pre-crisis levels. What accounts for the relatively low unemployment rate? The labor force participation rate accounts for it, which by no means is limited just to people retiring. Not a single reputable economist would argue that the change in the participation rate over the past few years is not predominantly due to economic conditions. I assure you that these people are not retirement age.
    "For what is Evil but Good-tortured by its own hunger and thirst?"
    - Khalil Gibran

  3. #83
    Guru
    pinqy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    4,376

    re: U.S. Adds 217,000 Jobs in May, Unemployment Rate Stays at 6.3%[W:218]

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    What are the labor participation rate comparisons?
    64.3% in December 2010, and currently 62.8% Not sure what that has to do with my post, though. And, back then, 7.5% of those not in the labor force said they wanted a job (but weren't trying to find work), while now it's 7% So most of the drop in the participation rate is due to more people not wanting to work.
    Therefore, since the world has still/Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure/Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would,/And train for ill and not for good.

  4. #84
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    re: U.S. Adds 217,000 Jobs in May, Unemployment Rate Stays at 6.3%[W:218]

    Quote Originally Posted by pinqy View Post
    64.3% in December 2010, and currently 62.8% Not sure what that has to do with my post, though. And, back then, 7.5% of those not in the labor force said they wanted a job (but weren't trying to find work), while now it's 7% So most of the drop in the participation rate is due to more people not wanting to work.
    Why would you think people do not want to work? Could it be they are discouraged with the opportunities available? When you have close to 40% of the working age population not working, there are serious economic issues...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  5. #85
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,356

    re: U.S. Adds 217,000 Jobs in May, Unemployment Rate Stays at 6.3%[W:218]

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    Standard MO, so don't let it get you down. My second foray to the forum this week, imagine...
    With things heating up all over the place, maybe we could ask for your attendance four or five times a week? You gotta admit, events are not exactly normal now, and you do have duties, you know!

  6. #86
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    re: U.S. Adds 217,000 Jobs in May, Unemployment Rate Stays at 6.3%[W:218]

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    With things heating up all over the place, maybe we could ask for your attendance four or five times a week? You gotta admit, events are not exactly normal now, and you do have duties, you know!
    I'm not sure I can handle this crowd that often. I get bored easily with the same debate points being used over and over...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  7. #87
    Guru
    pinqy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    4,376

    re: U.S. Adds 217,000 Jobs in May, Unemployment Rate Stays at 6.3%[W:218]

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    Why would you think people do not want to work? Could it be they are discouraged with the opportunities available? When you have close to 40% of the working age population not working, there are serious economic issues...
    What are you defining as "working age?" The Labor Force Participation rate is age 16+ with no upper limit. Under 20 has a very low participation rate (fewer need jobs) and over 55 the rate starts dropping too. For ages 25-54 the participation rate is 80.9% A-13. Employment status of the civilian noninstitutional population by age, sex, and race

    And you did realize that 62.8 participation is higher than anytime before November 1977, right? Surely you're not claiming the labor market is better off now than every month between 1947 (earliest available data) and November 1977?

    And no, if they were discouraged, they would want to work but don't think they'd succeed. If you say, "no, I don't want a job" I'm not going to assume discouragement. The number of discouraged has gone down, as I already showed.
    Therefore, since the world has still/Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure/Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would,/And train for ill and not for good.

  8. #88
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    re: U.S. Adds 217,000 Jobs in May, Unemployment Rate Stays at 6.3%[W:218]

    Quote Originally Posted by Tettsuo View Post
    U.S. Adds 217,000 Jobs in May, Unemployment Rate Stays at 6.3% | Fox Business

    The U.S. added 217,000 jobs in May as labor markets seem to be gaining the kind of sustained momentum that has proven elusive as the economy has struggled to recover from the 2008 financial crisis.
    The headline unemployment rate was 6.3%, according to figures released Friday by the Labor Department. That rate is the same as in April, when 288,000 jobs were created, far more than had been expected.
    There are massive unemployment problems a) first and foremost they never consider those who have been not-recieveing employment benefits, and they certainly don't place emphasis on jobs "gained" and only focus on "jobs lost" and c) this farce has never focused on unemployment..... All those factors create a false unemployment numbers by the formula alone.

    My only though process when it comes to such a "scam" is basically to keep consumer faith in the economy and the market.

    Either way the formula for determining unemployment is flawed, because it doesn't factor the millions that are "lost" in the void of unemployment or even those who are are working cash jobs.

    IMO, you don't have to be an economist - just intelligent, informed and especially vigilant.

  9. #89
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    re: U.S. Adds 217,000 Jobs in May, Unemployment Rate Stays at 6.3%[W:218]

    Quote Originally Posted by pinqy View Post
    What are you defining as "working age?" The Labor Force Participation rate is age 16+ with no upper limit. Under 20 has a very low participation rate (fewer need jobs) and over 55 the rate starts dropping too. For ages 25-54 the participation rate is 80.9% A-13. Employment status of the civilian noninstitutional population by age, sex, and race

    And you did realize that 62.8 participation is higher than anytime before November 1977, right? Surely you're not claiming the lab or market is better off now than every month between 1948 and November 1977?
    I didn't define working age, the US Dept of Labor does that, and I'm not sure I'd be proud of any number that is almost 40 years old, also one which was at a time when women were just entering the workforce in mass. Now, if you want to argue the merits of why women felt the need to do so, we can...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  10. #90
    Guru
    pinqy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    4,376

    re: U.S. Adds 217,000 Jobs in May, Unemployment Rate Stays at 6.3%[W:218]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    There are massive unemployment problems a) first and foremost they never consider those who have been not-recieveing employment benefits,
    That is a lie, and you know it, because you've been told so and shown the proof. Unemployment insurance is NOT and never has been part of the definiton used by BLS. It's not even asked in the survey

    and they certainly don't place emphasis on jobs lost and only focus on "jobs gained"
    "Jobe gained" is NET CHANGE and already includes jobs lost.
    Therefore, since the world has still/Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure/Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would,/And train for ill and not for good.

Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •