Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 114

Thread: Officials: Congress Not Told of Swap Because Taliban Threatened to Kill Bergdahl If I

  1. #41
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Officials: Congress Not Told of Swap Because Taliban Threatened to Kill Bergdahl

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    So wait, the Taliban threatened to kill Bergdahl if the White House leaked the details of a trade that the White House already told the Washington Post about nearly 4 months ago and had twice been presented to Congress (and rejected) in the last few years?

    It was not a secret trade. It was just a dangerously stupid trade that everyone told the President not to make.

    Yeah kind of hard to believe JM .....I even have that piece posted up here in Breaking News Blogs forum and at the time in Feb.

  2. #42
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Officials: Congress Not Told of Swap Because Taliban Threatened to Kill Bergdahl

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    If this is true and Congress was not informed because the Taliban threatened to kill Bergdahl if that happened, then why weren't the pertinent Congressional people informed of that when the White House contacted them to apologize for not informing them? Not a single one said the White House gave them a good reason for not informing them other than Bergdahl was practically at death's door. Well he obviously wasn't practically at death's door, but only an idiot would believe this new story has any chance to be believable by anybody other than the hard core Obama worshippers.
    That's Right AO. And we already have the Answer from the Chair of the Senate Intelligence Committee.

    SF Chronicle.....who she releases her statements too.


    Feinstein says White House didn’t notify Congress on prisoner exchange.....

    Sen. Dianne Feinstein, the California Democrat who chairs the Senate Intelligence Committee, told reporters Tuesday that she got a call from the White House apologizing for not letting Congress know about its exchange of Taliban prisoners for Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl, a prisoner of Afghan rebels since 2009.

    “It’s very disappointing that there was not a level of trust to justify alerting us to that,” Feinstein said. “I had a call from the White House last night, from (Deputy National Security Adviser) Tony Blinken, apologizing for it.”

    Feinstein said a prisoner swap was last discussed with lawmakers in 2011. She said Republican opposition to a swap may have contributed to the administration’s lack of notice, adding, “The White House is pretty unilateral about what they want to do when they want to do it.”.....snip~

    Feinstein says White House didn’t notify Congress on prisoner exchange - Politics Blog

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/us-par...broke-law.html




    Democrat Dianne Feinstein: Obama Broke The Law With Bergdahl Swap....

    The firestorm surrounding the Obama administration's decisions to allow five high level Taliban members to go free in exchange for Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl without the consent of Congress continues to rage on Capitol Hill. As the details of what many see as a bad deal continue to emerge, with many of Bergdahl's fellow soldiers expressing anger and outrage over him being welcomed home as a deserter, many lawmakers are questioning the legality of the swap.

    One of those lawmakers is Democrat Senator Dianne Feinstein, who chairs the Senate Intelligence Committee.

    Two top lawmakers on the Senate Intelligence Committee said Tuesday that the Obama administration broke the law by not informing Congress before the prisoner exchange that resulted in Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl’s release.

    Democratic Sen. Dianne Feinstein and Republican Sen. Saxby Chambliss said the administration violated the law by failing to address serious concerns they had about the deal to swap Bergdahl for five Taliban detainees. Chambliss said he had not had a conversation with the White House about a possible exchange for at least 18 months.

    "It comes to us with some surprise and dismay that the transfers went ahead with no consultation, totally not following law," Feinstein told reporters following a closed door meeting. "And in an issue with this kind of concern to a committee that bears the oversight responsibility, I think you can see that we're very dismayed about it ." .....snip~


    Democrat Dianne Feinstein: Obama Broke The Law With Bergdahl Swap - Katie Pavlich

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/us-par...oke-law-3.html

  3. #43
    Sayonara!
    Maenad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    By the water.
    Last Seen
    07-09-14 @ 10:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,259

    Re: Officials: Congress Not Told of Swap Because Taliban Threatened to Kill Bergdahl

    The link does not match the topic of this thread.
    Redneck, hillbilly, fundie, Bible thumper, cracker, split tails, geezer, loon, xenophobe, islamaphobe, and homophobe are not words of tolerance.

  4. #44
    Sayonara!
    Maenad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    By the water.
    Last Seen
    07-09-14 @ 10:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,259

    Re: Officials: Congress Not Told of Swap Because Taliban Threatened to Kill Bergdahl

    It is bad enough Obama negotiated with terrorists. But what is even worse is that he allowed them to blackmail him. This thread needs a link to the proper article. But if that did happen, he is the weakest president this country has ever had.
    Redneck, hillbilly, fundie, Bible thumper, cracker, split tails, geezer, loon, xenophobe, islamaphobe, and homophobe are not words of tolerance.

  5. #45
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,504
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Officials: Congress Not Told of Swap Because Taliban Threatened to Kill Bergdahl

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    That's Right AO. And we already have the Answer from the Chair of the Senate Intelligence Committee.

    SF Chronicle.....who she releases her statements too.


    Feinstein says White House didn’t notify Congress on prisoner exchange.....

    Sen. Dianne Feinstein, the California Democrat who chairs the Senate Intelligence Committee, told reporters Tuesday that she got a call from the White House apologizing for not letting Congress know about its exchange of Taliban prisoners for Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl, a prisoner of Afghan rebels since 2009.

    “It’s very disappointing that there was not a level of trust to justify alerting us to that,” Feinstein said. “I had a call from the White House last night, from (Deputy National Security Adviser) Tony Blinken, apologizing for it.”

    Feinstein said a prisoner swap was last discussed with lawmakers in 2011. She said Republican opposition to a swap may have contributed to the administration’s lack of notice, adding, “The White House is pretty unilateral about what they want to do when they want to do it.”.....snip~

    Feinstein says White House didn’t notify Congress on prisoner exchange - Politics Blog

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/us-par...broke-law.html




    Democrat Dianne Feinstein: Obama Broke The Law With Bergdahl Swap....

    The firestorm surrounding the Obama administration's decisions to allow five high level Taliban members to go free in exchange for Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl without the consent of Congress continues to rage on Capitol Hill. As the details of what many see as a bad deal continue to emerge, with many of Bergdahl's fellow soldiers expressing anger and outrage over him being welcomed home as a deserter, many lawmakers are questioning the legality of the swap.

    One of those lawmakers is Democrat Senator Dianne Feinstein, who chairs the Senate Intelligence Committee.

    Two top lawmakers on the Senate Intelligence Committee said Tuesday that the Obama administration broke the law by not informing Congress before the prisoner exchange that resulted in Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl’s release.

    Democratic Sen. Dianne Feinstein and Republican Sen. Saxby Chambliss said the administration violated the law by failing to address serious concerns they had about the deal to swap Bergdahl for five Taliban detainees. Chambliss said he had not had a conversation with the White House about a possible exchange for at least 18 months.

    "It comes to us with some surprise and dismay that the transfers went ahead with no consultation, totally not following law," Feinstein told reporters following a closed door meeting. "And in an issue with this kind of concern to a committee that bears the oversight responsibility, I think you can see that we're very dismayed about it ." .....snip~


    Democrat Dianne Feinstein: Obama Broke The Law With Bergdahl Swap - Katie Pavlich

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/us-par...oke-law-3.html
    But now they magnify the 'crime' with a lie--that they couldn't tell Congress without jeopardizing Bergdahl's life. Come on. After he was safely in custody, and they sent their apology to the pertinent members of Congress, they couldn't have told them that then? Of course they could. But they didn't. So if the OP news story is the real deal, they are just compounding another screw up by trying to cover it with a totally fabricated lie.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  6. #46
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Officials: Congress Not Told of Swap Because Taliban Threatened to Kill Bergdahl

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    Oh, yes, attacking a President's siblings or children is definitely raising the bar.

    Oddly, I never really thought of former President Carter as a peanut farmer. Naval Academy, grad studies in nuclear physics, and later, a successful business, then a political career, and then humanitarian work including decades'-long involvement with Habitat for Humanity.

    Out of all this, what you got was "Peanut Boy."
    Too much education can indoctrinate yourself er personality. Carter isn't building those homes alone - as a matter of fact I highly doubt Carter could build a ****ing coffee table.

    Carter hasn't done **** but play games with Kim Jong-Il, and fudge a massive hostage crisis.

    Also, I never intended to label his brother with himself, you or another poster just opened the door for "Billy Beer" or other questionable investments.... However since we're on the subject - How about Bill Clinton pardoning his brother on coke charges???

  7. #47
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Officials: Congress Not Told of Swap Because Taliban Threatened to Kill Bergdahl

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    But now they magnify the 'crime' with a lie--that they couldn't tell Congress without jeopardizing Bergdahl's life. Come on. After he was safely in custody, and they sent their apology to the pertinent members of Congress, they couldn't have told them that then? Of course they could. But they didn't. So if the OP news story is the real deal, they are just compounding another screw up by trying to cover it with a totally fabricated lie.
    Yes, and we even have one of his own Spokespeople Caitlin Hayden. Who aptly points out they assumed and then took for Granted Congress. Then we have Bo apologizing then hurriedly calling for the briefing in front of the full Senate. As you seen as soon as McKeon called for Hearings.


    The White House apologized for keeping lawmakers in the dark regarding the exchange of an American soldier for five Taliban fighters, senators said Tuesday, as controversy grew over the issue. Administration officials plan a classified briefing for the full 100-member chamber Wednesday, with lawmakers from both parties fuming over the trade, which saw captured soldier Bowe Bergdahl released Saturday to US special forces in Afghanistan.

    Feinstein reflected mounting bipartisan concern as lawmakers questioned the merits of releasing from Guantanamo five hardened Taliban fighters and officials in exchange for Bergdahl.

    Seeking to mop up the political fallout, a senior White House official called Senator Saxby Chambliss, the Intelligence Committee's top Republican, late Monday "apologizing for not giving us advance warning," Chambliss said. Senate Democrat Carl Levin said Obama put Congress "on notice" last December in a signing statement saying he has constitutional authority to move quickly on detainees. And Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said he was told of the swap Friday and that he supported the exchange. Democratic Senator Joe Manchin called the affair "very disturbing."

    But few others openly backed the president. House Speaker John Boehner said the only reason Obama did not give the necessary notice "is because the administration knew it faced serious and sober bipartisan concern and opposition."

    The swap will be debated in an open House hearing next week, with Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel invited to testify.....snip~

    White House apologizes to lawmakers over secret POW swap

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/breaki...-pow-swap.html

  8. #48
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,399

    Re: Officials: Congress Not Told of Swap Because Taliban Threatened to Kill Bergdahl

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Congress not told of swap because Taliban threatened to kill Bergdahl if it leaked
    This news is just now breaking and this is all the info on it now. If this is true, does this change the situation a lot or anything?
    No, it doesn't change anything. Contrary to popular belief, the two (administration and Congress) can keep a secret when/if they need to.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  9. #49
    Guru
    The Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    York, Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:14 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,721

    Officials: Congress Not Told of Swap Because Taliban Threatened to Kill Bergd...

    Maybe President Osama has some relatives in the Taliban and he decided to do them a favor?

    That's more realistic than this bull**** excuse that he's giving.

  10. #50
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Officials: Congress Not Told of Swap Because Taliban Threatened to Kill Bergdahl

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Heya Maggie. Do you think this explain Placing the National Interests and Security of the Country over that of one individual.
    I'd say it was. Maybe they planted a Trojan Horse.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •