Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
Results 111 to 114 of 114

Thread: Officials: Congress Not Told of Swap Because Taliban Threatened to Kill Bergdahl If I

  1. #111
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,920
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Officials: Congress Not Told of Swap Because Taliban Threatened to Kill Bergdahl

    Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon View Post
    What exactly are you disagreeing with?
    They were rarely substantive until RWR, and have been condemned by the ABA. SCOTUS has dismissed them when they have figured in cases.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  2. #112
    Guru

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    4,488

    Re: Officials: Congress Not Told of Swap Because Taliban Threatened to Kill Bergdahl

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    They were rarely substantive until RWR...
    The very first one was in regards to the President's view of the constitutionality of a provision of law.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    ...and have been condemned by the ABA..


    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    SCOTUS has dismissed them when they have figured in cases.
    Which only means they may have disagreed with the President's conclusion; not his authority to issue them.

  3. #113
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,920
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Officials: Congress Not Told of Swap Because Taliban Threatened to Kill Bergdahl

    Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon View Post
    The very first one was in regards to the President's view of the constitutionality of a provision of law.







    Which only means they may have disagreed with the President's conclusion; not his authority to issue them.
    No. SCOTUS does not regard them as having any legal weight. I'm not going to debate this. Believe what you wish.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  4. #114
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Officials: Congress Not Told of Swap Because Taliban Threatened to Kill Bergdahl

    Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon View Post
    Like I said, violating an unconstitutional law is irrelevant.
    That's true. However, whether or not the law IS unconstitutional is up to interpritation at this point as the only authority to deem it such with any air of finality is the SCOTUS. Contrary to what you may desire, you don't have a magic wand to wave and declare things to be "irrelevant". Clearly there is concern over the potential violation of the law, and that concern is present by some on both sides of the aisle, so reality seems to contradict your notion that it's "irrelevant". To what extent it has relevance has yet to be determined.

    But I must say, an excellent job of moving the goal posts. Going from attempting to counter someone claiming he broke the law, to now trying to present your argument that it doesn't MATTER that he broke the law.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •