Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 272

Thread: Should Target take action to keep rifles out of their stores?[W:37]

  1. #31
    Sage
    Gaius46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,441

    Re: Should Target take action to keep rifles out of their stores?

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    I think carrying rifles into a store is a bit asinine. But when people want to take away ones constitutional right, those in favor of retaining their rights will push back. I would never carry my rifle or shotgun into targets or any other store, but if I was wearing my .38 I would give it a second thought. But actions like this, carrying rifles in a Target store is what happens when some people want to trample on other people’s rights. Both sides go to the extremes.
    Yeah a group of guys carrying rifles into Target as a form of protest is pretty much a public relations disaster waiting to happen. While asserting their rights - which don't exist inside a private establishment - they're pushing alot of fence sitters to the other side. Stupid
    Don't be a grammar nazi - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 1 #7

  2. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Should Target take action to keep rifles out of their stores?

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    Why would any sane person "believe" such a thing. They're strangers. Why would I assume they both care to and HAVE properly 'secured' their weapons and don't pose any danger?

    If you're an experienced gun owner, the first thing you'd do if one of them handed you their weapon is check it, to see that it IS unloaded, or if loaded the safety properly set. So you wouldn't assume, or shouldn't, that anyone that person HAD properly 'secured' his weapon. Similarly, when walking next to some yahoo with a rifle slung over his shoulder, I can promise you I'll assume he's an idiot and that thing is one unfortunate bump from discharging, putting me in danger.
    Would you have the same concern if an individual had a pocket knife? do you honestly believe a gun owner is any different than a knife owner?

    As a gun enthusiast myself included gun owners are more than willing to safely show their firearms off in a more than safe matter - and on top of that tech gun safety...

    99.9% of gun crime is the result of stolen guns (at least in the lower 48) - yes accidents occur like every other job but the odds of a 20 ton piece of machinery is way falling on you is greater than being shot by a gun a legal gun owner is more obscure than being shot by a legal gun owned by a family member.

  3. #33
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Should Target take action to keep rifles out of their stores?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius46 View Post
    Yeah a group of guys carrying rifles into Target as a form of protest is pretty much a public relations disaster waiting to happen. While asserting their rights - which don't exist inside a private establishment - they're pushing alot of fence sitters to the other side. Stupid
    So discrimination exists within the confines of a business yet the Bill of Rights stays at the door?

    I love how modern Libertarians and progressives have ganged up to promote SOCIAL INJUSTICE.

  4. #34
    Sage
    Gaius46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,441

    Re: Should Target take action to keep rifles out of their stores?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    So discrimination exists within the confines of a business yet the Bill of Rights stays at the door?

    I love how modern Libertarians and progressives have ganged up to promote SOCIAL INJUSTICE.

    Yes. The Bill of Rights applies to the government. It does not apply to private parties.
    Don't be a grammar nazi - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 1 #7

  5. #35
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,719

    Re: Should Target take action to keep rifles out of their stores?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    Would you have the same concern if an individual had a pocket knife? do you honestly believe a gun owner is any different than a knife owner?
    Silly comparison in my view. That knife can't 'accidentally' discharge. And even if that knife owner loses it and attacks me, I have a very good chance of surviving a stab wound - not so much with a 9mm round. Guns =/= knives, which is why the 2nd Amendment didn't cover pocket knives, and we don't send soldiers into battle armed with pocket knives. Firearms are incredibly efficient killing machines, knives, except in the most expert hands in some situations, are not.

    And you assume into the equation a responsible gun owner like yourself. Why would anyone do that? You don't know that gun owner (most likely) so why would you assume he's had proper training and is a conscientious person? I wouldn't, and even if I knew the person, I'd still ask them to unload before entering my house, preferably store the gun in their car or another secure location. This didn't used to be controversial - just common sense gun safety. Now I'm supposed to disregard it all. I don't get it.

    As a gun enthusiast myself included gun owners are more than willing to safely show their firearms off in a more than safe matter - and on top of that tech gun safety...

    99.9% of gun crime is the result of stolen guns (at least in the lower 48) - yes accidents occur like every other job but the odds of a 20 ton piece of machinery is way falling on you is greater than being shot by a gun a legal gun owner is more obscure than being shot by a legal gun owned by a family member.
    I think you've made up that stat.... But more importantly, I don't know why I should assume that armed person is a "good guy with a gun" (in NRA speak). Or that if even marginally provoked will remain a good guy with a gun and not a nutjob who settles a disagreement over his place in line by shooting the guy he's fighting.

  6. #36
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Should Target take action to keep rifles out of their stores?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius46 View Post
    Yes. The Bill of Rights applies to the government. It does not apply to private parties.
    The Bill of rights LIMITS the governments NOT empowers the governments..

  7. #37
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,857
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should Target take action to keep rifles out of their stores?

    Moderator's Warning:
    Should Target take action to keep rifles out of their stores?[W:37]The next person that brings Trayvon/Zimmerman into this subject will be infracted and thread banned. Stick to the topic.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  8. #38
    Sage
    Gaius46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,441

    Re: Should Target take action to keep rifles out of their stores?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    The Bill of rights LIMITS the governments NOT empowers the governments..
    The Bill of Rights is a (partial) listing of rights that the government must respect. Until the early 1900s it applied only to the Federal government. After that, under the incorporation doctrine, most of the BoR also applied to the states.

    It does not apply to private citizens.
    Don't be a grammar nazi - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 1 #7

  9. #39
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Should Target take action to keep rifles out of their stores?

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    Silly comparison in my view. That knife can't 'accidentally' discharge. And even if that knife owner loses it and attacks me, I have a very good chance of surviving a stab wound - not so much with a 9mm round. Guns =/= knives, which is why the 2nd Amendment didn't cover pocket knives, and we don't send soldiers into battle armed with pocket knives. Firearms are incredibly efficient killing machines, knives, except in the most expert hands in some situations, are not.

    And you assume into the equation a responsible gun owner like yourself. Why would anyone do that? You don't know that gun owner (most likely) so why would you assume he's had proper training and is a conscientious person? I wouldn't, and even if I knew the person, I'd still ask them to unload before entering my house, preferably store the gun in their car or another secure location. This didn't used to be controversial - just common sense gun safety. Now I'm supposed to disregard it all. I don't get it.



    I think you've made up that stat.... But more importantly, I don't know why I should assume that armed person is a "good guy with a gun" (in NRA speak). Or that if even marginally provoked will remain a good guy with a gun and not a nutjob who settles a disagreement over his place in line by shooting the guy he's fighting.
    Yeah like I have previously stated - nations where guns are banned have an epic problem with mass stabbings, the UK, China, North Korea etc.... I suppose that proves humans kill humans and not guns. A murder tool is just that and it's the individual that takes advantage - because people are killers not weapons....

    You just want a political debate instead of logic.... I'm not going to give you that opportunity, because you have no argument other than people are bad and like guns.

  10. #40
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,719

    Re: Should Target take action to keep rifles out of their stores?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    Yeah like I have previously stated - nations where guns are banned have an epic problem with mass stabbings, the UK, China, North Korea etc.... I suppose that proves humans kill humans and not guns. A murder tool is just that and it's the individual that takes advantage - because people are killers not weapons....

    You just want a political debate instead of logic.... I'm not going to give you that opportunity, because you have no argument other than people are bad and like guns.
    I've purposely kept my comments non-political, and have been very careful not to disparage gun owners - I am one. Most, the vast majority in my experience, are good, responsible people, but my point was I DO NOT KNOW THEM ALL so why would anyone assume that guy with the rifle is one of them, and is safety conscious, has had good training and practices what he's learned.

    Have you ever shot on a range? Did they allow those not shooting to keep their firearms loaded and ready? It's been a while for me, so maybe rules have changed and now everyone is locked and loaded at all times....

Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •