Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 178

Thread: Seven States Running Out of Water

  1. #121
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,505

    Re: Seven States Running Out of Water

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    I don't know why in areas on the coasts why they don't redesign their plumbing systems so that toilets use salt water instead of fresh water...

    IMO, plumbing engineering is completely wrong and outdated.

    In theory desalinization units should be placed in every home on the coasts - that way you can use sea water to bathe or for your toilet or even drink.

    Hell, even the local water plants could desalinize salt water.

    Once again tho it's not in the best interests of certain people to do such a thing.
    Probably because it would require a separate set of pipes for the flushing of toilets, and what else? No one bathes, washes dishes, or anything like that with salt water.
    Also because salt water is corrosive and would do considerable damage to any plumbing that wasn't all plastic.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  2. #122
    Professor
    Checkerboard Strangler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Last Seen
    11-12-17 @ 02:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,475

    Re: Seven States Running Out of Water

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    I don't know why in areas on the coasts why they don't redesign their plumbing systems so that toilets use salt water instead of fresh water...
    Might be because the notion of fecal output from some 20 million souls into the Pacific might be pretty bad for the ocean.
    However, the idea of adapting sewage treatment plants into cogeneration facilities is excellent but for some reason no one sees a revenue stream yet, so the idea lays fallow for the time being. Sure would help defray some of the environmental impact of turds though.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    IMO, plumbing engineering is completely wrong and outdated.

    In theory desalinization units should be placed in every home on the coasts - that way you can use sea water to bathe or for your toilet or even drink.
    |

    You know, I am all for decentralization of things like power wherever possible.
    Things like water desal however, are best served by centralized plants, not only because of cost factors but also because the average homeowner has trouble programming their cable box. Imagine them trying to maintain a desal plant.
    And a funny thing about seawater, you still have to pipe it in, even if you live close to it.
    Plumbing and salt water don't get along.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    Hell, even the local water plants could desalinize salt water.

    Once again tho it's not in the best interests of certain people to do such a thing.
    It's not in the best interests of THIS guy:

    nestleceowater.jpg

    Of course, if oil companies succeed in destroying the quality of most of our aquifers as they're currently doing, that guy might find himself in the catbird seat.
    If I didn't respond to your diatribe, it's possible you may have
    engaged in revisionism or broad sweeping generalizations.
    I don't have time for either, and you're probably on my IGNORE list.

  3. #123
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 07:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,237

    Re: Seven States Running Out of Water

    Quote Originally Posted by Buck Ewer View Post
    here is how they do it in Arizona...
    Attachment 67167509
    They actually concede that they live in the desert and landscape their homes accordingly.
    Let me tell you something, I've been to Arizona tons of times, and there's plenty of grass being watered. That includes the public common areas. That photo is a half-truth.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  4. #124
    Professor
    Checkerboard Strangler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Last Seen
    11-12-17 @ 02:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,475

    Re: Seven States Running Out of Water

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Let me tell you something, I've been to Arizona tons of times, and there's plenty of grass being watered. That includes the public common areas. That photo is a half-truth.
    True that, not everyone has awakened from the dream yet.
    The photo does indeed represent something of a half truth, a cultural divide if you will.
    Some desert dwellers are in tune, some ain't and don't intend to be.
    If I didn't respond to your diatribe, it's possible you may have
    engaged in revisionism or broad sweeping generalizations.
    I don't have time for either, and you're probably on my IGNORE list.

  5. #125
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 07:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,237

    Re: Seven States Running Out of Water

    Quote Originally Posted by Checkerboard Strangler View Post
    Might be because the notion of fecal output from some 20 million souls into the Pacific might be pretty bad for the ocean.
    However, the idea of adapting sewage treatment plants into cogeneration facilities is excellent but for some reason no one sees a revenue stream yet, so the idea lays fallow for the time being. Sure would help defray some of the environmental impact of turds though.

    |

    You know, I am all for decentralization of things like power wherever possible.
    Things like water desal however, are best served by centralized plants, not only because of cost factors but also because the average homeowner has trouble programming their cable box. Imagine them trying to maintain a desal plant.
    And a funny thing about seawater, you still have to pipe it in, even if you live close to it.
    Plumbing and salt water don't get along.



    It's not in the best interests of THIS guy:

    nestleceowater.jpg

    Of course, if oil companies succeed in destroying the quality of most of our aquifers as they're currently doing, that guy might find himself in the catbird seat.
    How come this isn't in the news? Either they're covering up or (shall we say) you are incorrect. I think we should shut Big Oil down in California and other low water states, and kill all the associated jobs. What do you think?
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  6. #126
    The Light of Truth
    Northern Light's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:16 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,948

    Re: Seven States Running Out of Water

    There are too many people living at a high standard of living, combined with too many profiteering corporations who are sucking the life out of the ground with zero regard for future generations. When the CEO of Cenovus in Canada was asked what kind of planet he would be leaving his own children in 40-50 years, his reply was, "My sons will be in a better position to figure that out than I would."

    These people are borderline. All they care about is money and nothing else. They were raised by baby boomers who had nothing and so all they see the planet as is one big thing to acquire.

  7. #127
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,505

    Re: Seven States Running Out of Water

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    How come this isn't in the news? Either they're covering up or (shall we say) you are incorrect. I think we should shut Big Oil down in California and other low water states, and kill all the associated jobs. What do you think?
    That is if you buy the idea that the oil companies are destroying the aquifers.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  8. #128
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Seven States Running Out of Water

    Quote Originally Posted by Checkerboard Strangler View Post
    Oh, where to start...there's so much fun stuff in here!
    Well I guess if you're the kind who thinks opinions are the same thing as facts, but I harbor no hatred of wealth as my own economic health is in good standing. So why would I practice self-hatred?



    We're all over the map today, aren't we? Al Gore's in the oil business? Soros? Hmmm, maybe he is, could you find a link to that for me please?



    Here is a fire hydrant ON FIRE - your argument is invalid.
    Attachment 67167516



    Hey I support all forms of energy because I am realistic enough to understand that even petroleum will be here for quite some time to come.
    My issue has more to do with the fact that the petroleum business wishes to maintain a monopoly on things like transportation fuel, otherwise we wouldn't be seeing wealthy players doing their level best to kill off alternatives, would we?

    We wouldn't have seen BP, Shell and Exxon manipulating oil prices for well over a decade, we wouldn't see further manipulation by speculators aimed at slowing the growth of alternatives. We wouldn't see state after state lining up to pass bills aimed at stopping Tesla direct sales.
    Oh wait, isn't that big government stepping in to regulate? Uh ohhh, guess it's okay when it protects established interests like car dealers and oil companies.



    You know, the funny thing is, fracking, like all other forms of oil and natgas exploration, CAN be done in a SAFER manner.
    I didn't say that there's a 100% safe method, I am saying that there are safer "best practices" and methodologies.
    And oil companies would adhere to those best practices if they had to, except that they got a sweetheart deal that exempted them from nearly ALL regulations back around the turn of the millenium, so now individual entities are having to sue them one by one instead, to force them to adopt best practices.
    But it's like so many other aspects of big business.
    See, I do understand the nature of corporations. They by their very nature cannot HAVE a conscience.
    Regulations function as a de facto substitute for a conscience and, while I can name lots of examples of unnecessary regulations, the fact is, some regulations ARE necessary.



    Well, that's good. I wouldn't dare suggest that you step away from your self interests because I know that your mentor would be very upset with you. Attachment 67167518



    Uhhhhh....we all do, we don't have much choice in the matter. It's the sole source, or damn close to it, for transportation energy.
    That's going to change soon of course. Electric cars are today roughly where the home VCR was in 1972 when Sony gave us the BetaMax, a $3500 playtoy for rich folks. Five years later they were under $499, ten years later they were under a hundred bucks, with better features, performance and mature technology.


    As I said above in so many words, it's the lifeblood of modern industrial civilization.



    Whoa, did you just say that oil is "renewable"?
    So you're not only a Rand worshipper, you're also a believer in abiogenic oil too?
    Oil is renewable - that is a basic fact if you understand what oil actually is - which is nothing more than decomposed organic material.

    Also, no true libertarian would worship Rand. She did not create the idea of individualism - nor is she a political libertarian "biblical" figure. I disagree with some of Rands ideas, however she is hardly a "leader" or her philosophy is hardly comparable to the Ten Commandments.... However, my political philosophy hardly has anything to do with this issue - if you want to discuss my politics then start a thread in a different forum and I would be glad to debate or discuss my politics.

    As far as oil and oil prices, well I think the federal government prevents oil from being a cheap commodity - so you can blame the federal government for the 3.80/gallon gas.... What do you really expect with all these regulations, fines, lawsuits and excess taxation - not to mention limitations on where one can drill?

    If you haven't figured it out yet it's the federal government that has their hands in everything - they're like the mafia, and as a result of taxation, regulation and fines the prices of goods and services will be reflected.

    As far as electric cars - they're a joke, the funniest part is they haven't even been able to build a viable electric car yet because they're not thinking in the right direction because all the engineers are all on the same page going forward. They're wasting energy with those junk cars, not to mention some of their designs could seriously turn a car into an inferno.

    These engineers are wasting about 95% of the energy a moving care displaces.

    To compare an electric car to a VCR is a joke.... An electric car is NOT even close to an innovation - as a matter of fact Tesla created an electric car that worked. However the technology has never been the issue - the viability has.

    Presently gas/oil is the cheapest way to power a car... Until electric can make gas obsolete then it will always be that way.

    Also, I don't appreciate the gigantic picture of Ayn Rand either. If you want to accuse me of being an Ayn Rand worshiper - fine - but I don't need a ****ing picture. Save the memes for the 12-year-olds you talk to, who need common core logic to understand concepts.

  9. #129
    Professor
    Checkerboard Strangler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Last Seen
    11-12-17 @ 02:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,475

    Re: Seven States Running Out of Water

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    How come this isn't in the news? Either they're covering up or (shall we say) you are incorrect. I think we should shut Big Oil down in California and other low water states, and kill all the associated jobs. What do you think?
    Gee, I don't remember saying that I think we should shut down Big Oil in California.
    Is that what you want to do?

    And, if you're looking for information about aquifers at risk due to fracking, you needn't look far.

    Here's one article from that well known librul bastion of lefty propaganda - Scientific American:
    Groundwater Contamination May End the Gas-Fracking Boom - Scientific American

    But as I said earlier, there are best practices which could definitely make fracking safer.
    If oil co's were obligated to follow them we might see a drastic reduction in groundwater contamination incidents and
    the aquifers might not be at so much risk.

    But I guess it's like the cycle we've observed in a lot of major industries over the years.
    Take seat belts, for instance. When they were mandated in 1964 the car makers screamed bloody murder.
    They wanted everyone to believe they would go bankrupt if they were forced to put them in.
    Same with safety glass, redundant braking system hydraulics, collapsible steering columns (aka "energy absorbing"),
    and tons of other safety equipment. Eventually they survived (whew!) and cars got better.
    That's why a 2009 Malibu can cut through a 59 Bel-Air like it's made of butter in a head on crash.
    One might be inclined to think the opposite but the fact is, the myth of the heavy lead sled being safer is just that, a myth.

    So, fracking CAN be done in a safer manner but we're either going to have to watch an endless stream of individual lawsuits
    or maybe work for a REPEAL of the EPA exemptions granted the industry by Cheney in order to see oil co's adopt those safer methods.
    If I didn't respond to your diatribe, it's possible you may have
    engaged in revisionism or broad sweeping generalizations.
    I don't have time for either, and you're probably on my IGNORE list.

  10. #130
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Colorado mountains
    Last Seen
    01-03-15 @ 08:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,729

    Re: Seven States Running Out of Water

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Let me tell you something, I've been to Arizona tons of times, and there's plenty of grass being watered. That includes the public common areas. That photo is a half-truth.
    Let me tell you something, that photo makes a lot more sense than this one does;
    images (4).jpg

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •