Page 7 of 54 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 533

Thread: Bowe Bergdahl, U.S. soldier held in Afghanistan, freed in swap

  1. #61
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: Bowe Bergdahl, U.S. soldier held in Afghanistan, freed in swap

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    That is a possibility. But then if he was a deserter then why didn't the intelligence community object to his promotion in absentia to sergeant in 2011?
    Because the IC has no input into whether or not he is promoted. The rule (it might even be law) is that POW's get promoted non-competitively, automatically.

  2. #62
    Sage
    Arbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    07-12-16 @ 01:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,395
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Bowe Bergdahl, U.S. soldier held in Afghanistan, freed in swap

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Yes, it was very clever how the GOP stuck an unconstitutional statute into the 2012 defense budget bill. Obama had to sign it into law so the military could get paid. But Obama also took an oath to uphold the constitution and that means he isn't obligated to enforce unconstitutional laws passed by congress. Hence, the signing statement.
    The executive branch is not an arbiter of what is constitutional. That's why we have three branches of government.
    "nah i think the way cons want to turn this into a political issue is funny though" - Philly Boss

  3. #63
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,966

    Re: Bowe Bergdahl, U.S. soldier held in Afghanistan, freed in swap

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    Because most people think it is just fine that the Administration got the guy out of captivity. It just isn't as emotionally volatile as is the VA scandal or, for many, Benghazi. And it doesn't hurt Hillary.
    I think it's very emotionally volatile because of:

    1) the great sympathy for the prisoner
    2) the fear that the released Taliban will kill
    and most of all
    3) there's the appearance of the (frequently detested) president ignoring Congress, the Constitution, and acting alone. This is a very very frightening thing for conservatives.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  4. #64
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:04 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,474

    Re: Bowe Bergdahl, U.S. soldier held in Afghanistan, freed in swap

    Quote Originally Posted by Arbo View Post
    The executive branch is not an arbiter of what is constitutional. That's why we have three branches of government.
    I'm pretty sure the executive branch has studied the constitution and know where their authority lies. But I seriously doubt that congress does. It will be interesting to see if congress takes the issue to court....I'm guessing they won't because they can get more political mileage out of falsely accusing Obama of breaking the law than they can having their statute struck down as unconstitutional.
    Last edited by Moot; 06-03-14 at 12:34 AM.

  5. #65
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,520

    Re: Bowe Bergdahl, U.S. soldier held in Afghanistan, freed in swap

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Yes, it was very clever how the GOP stuck an unconstitutional statute into the 2012 defense budget bill. Obama had to sign it into law so the military could get paid. But Obama also took an oath to uphold the constitution and that means he isn't obligated to enforce unconstitutional laws passed by congress. Hence, the signing statement.
    He took an oath to faithfully execute the laws, too. The Executive Branch doesn't have the authority to decide what's constitutional and what isn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  6. #66
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Bowe Bergdahl, U.S. soldier held in Afghanistan, freed in swap

    Quote Originally Posted by mtm1963 View Post
    there are 1000's of people just like these 5 individuals who are killing. 5 more makes NO difference!! again 5 more makes NO difference!!

    NONE!!!!!!!

    this person will be back with his family and friends, those who love and care about him.

    what's your care? politics?
    He deserted his post. 6 men directly died in operations to find him.

    What do you tell those families?
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  7. #67
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:04 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,474

    Re: Bowe Bergdahl, U.S. soldier held in Afghanistan, freed in swap

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    He took an oath to faithfully execute the laws, too. The Executive Branch doesn't have the authority to decide what's constitutional and what isn't.
    The congress has the authority to legislate the laws, but it doesn't have the authority to tell the executive branch how to execute the laws....and that is what that statute tried to do.

  8. #68
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Bowe Bergdahl, U.S. soldier held in Afghanistan, freed in swap

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    I think it's very emotionally volatile because of:

    1) the great sympathy for the prisoner
    2) the fear that the released Taliban will kill
    and most of all
    3) there's the appearance of the (frequently detested) president ignoring Congress, the Constitution, and acting alone. This is a very very frightening thing for conservatives.
    A President who blatantly and often violates the law should frighten everybody.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  9. #69
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,966

    Re: Bowe Bergdahl, U.S. soldier held in Afghanistan, freed in swap

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    A President who blatantly and often violates the law should frighten everybody.
    If that is the case.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  10. #70
    Sage


    Thoreau72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    20,305

    Re: Bowe Bergdahl, U.S. soldier held in Afghanistan, freed in swap

    Quote Originally Posted by Arbo View Post
    The executive branch is not an arbiter of what is constitutional. That's why we have three branches of government.
    Under the specious notion of the Unitary Executive, that branch IS an arbiter of what is constitutional, and many other things. Bush brought us the UE, and Barack simply loves it!

Page 7 of 54 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •