Page 30 of 54 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast
Results 291 to 300 of 533

Thread: Bowe Bergdahl, U.S. soldier held in Afghanistan, freed in swap

  1. #291
    Relentless Thinking Fury
    ChezC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,125

    Re: Bowe Bergdahl, U.S. soldier held in Afghanistan, freed in swap

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Can you point to one area where the government as RFID a human prisoner or terrorist without their knowledge and we tracked them successfully - anywhere at any time? This would be a first and truly remarkable if accomplished in Qatar. Have a nice night.
    I said good day...

  2. #292
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    15,498

    Re: Bowe Bergdahl, U.S. soldier held in Afghanistan, freed in swap

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    If Bergdahl hadn't walked from his post, would those extra operations have been necessary?

    Oh BTW......
    Bowe Bergdahl: Taliban Captors Speak to TIME - TIME
    Did you not see what I wrote? This is NOT about Bergdahl...and that's pretty much what Gen. McChrystal said, too. We don't say, "Well, is this soldier worth bringing home?" We say, "We WILL bring this soldier home." Why? Because he's a soldier. It does not matter what he did or did not do - we bring them home.

    It was not about what Bergdahl did or did not do. What about that do you not get?

    Oh, wait, I forgot - Obama had something to do with it, therefore the Right must oppose it to the bitter end. And we all know what the Right would have said if we'd refused to get him and let him die there. Such vast, vast hypocrisy on the Right. This is one of the major reasons I left the GOP back in the early 1990's - I saw where it was going, and I was right. What passes for conservatives today don't have a clue as to what conservatives really were...which is why Bob Dole himself said that it was very unlikely that he, Bush 41, and Reagan could be elected today.
    To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what hes doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

  3. #293
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Bowe Bergdahl, U.S. soldier held in Afghanistan, freed in swap

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    Did you not see what I wrote? This is NOT about Bergdahl...and that's pretty much what Gen. McChrystal said, too. We don't say, "Well, is this soldier worth bringing home?" We say, "We WILL bring this soldier home." Why? Because he's a soldier. It does not matter what he did or did not do - we bring them home.

    It was not about what Bergdahl did or did not do. What about that do you not get?

    Oh, wait, I forgot - Obama had something to do with it, therefore the Right must oppose it to the bitter end. And we all know what the Right would have said if we'd refused to get him and let him die there. Such vast, vast hypocrisy on the Right. This is one of the major reasons I left the GOP back in the early 1990's - I saw where it was going, and I was right. What passes for conservatives today don't have a clue as to what conservatives really were...which is why Bob Dole himself said that it was very unlikely that he, Bush 41, and Reagan could be elected today.
    Yes we should bring him home... last.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  4. #294
    Educator
    mtm1963's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    05-25-17 @ 04:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,067

    Re: Bowe Bergdahl, U.S. soldier held in Afghanistan, freed in swap

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    The numbers are irrelevant.
    when we are talking about 1 soldier being released, 5 taliban being released, 6 soldiers who were killed searching for Bowe Bergdahl and then comparing the 5 taliban released as being like the killer of millions...............hitler, stalin and mao............ oh yes numbers matter.

    we are talking about 5 people released.

    a family has their son back.......... SAFE!!
    Go Vols

  5. #295
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    15,498

    Re: Bowe Bergdahl, U.S. soldier held in Afghanistan, freed in swap

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Yes we should bring him home... last.
    That would be up to the Army. BTW, the last one brought home from Vietnam was also accused of desertion and collaboration. Just a thought.
    To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what hes doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

  6. #296
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    15,498

    Re: Bowe Bergdahl, U.S. soldier held in Afghanistan, freed in swap

    Quote Originally Posted by mtm1963 View Post
    when we are talking about 1 soldier being released, 5 taliban being released, 6 soldiers who were killed searching for Bowe Bergdahl and then comparing the 5 taliban released as being like the killer of millions...............hitler, stalin and mao............ oh yes numbers matter.

    we are talking about 5 people released.

    a family has their son back.......... SAFE!!
    Picture this: you're a general, and you're about to go to war. The morale of your troops is as always a crucial factor. Do you want your troops to know that if something happens to them, the Army will never give up on finding you and bringing you home no matter what? Or do you want your troops to know that if they decide they don't like you for whatever reason, you'll be left to rot? Which is better for morale?

    This, sir, is why bringing Bergdahl home was never about Bergdahl himself, but about showing all our troops that yes, America WILL bring you home, no matter what. If you can't see the importance of that, perhaps you should go study military history, beginning with the Eastern Front during WWII.

    And remember, even in the military we are INNOCENT until proven guilty.
    To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what hes doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

  7. #297
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Bowe Bergdahl, U.S. soldier held in Afghanistan, freed in swap

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    That would be up to the Army.
    I don't think the Army made the decision to bring Bergdahl home I think it was the President and the State Department.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    BTW, the last one brought home from Vietnam was also accused of desertion and collaboration. Just a thought.
    Fact of the matter is, every soldier has a breaking point. The question is what information is provided and when. There's a difference between voluntary collaboration and breaking under torture.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  8. #298
    Educator
    mtm1963's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    05-25-17 @ 04:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,067

    Re: Bowe Bergdahl, U.S. soldier held in Afghanistan, freed in swap

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    Picture this: you're a general, and you're about to go to war. The morale of your troops is as always a crucial factor. Do you want your troops to know that if something happens to them, the Army will never give up on finding you and bringing you home no matter what? Or do you want your troops to know that if they decide they don't like you for whatever reason, you'll be left to rot? Which is better for morale?

    This, sir, is why bringing Bergdahl home was never about Bergdahl himself, but about showing all our troops that yes, America WILL bring you home, no matter what. If you can't see the importance of that, perhaps you should go study military history, beginning with the Eastern Front during WWII.

    And remember, even in the military we are INNOCENT until proven guilty.
    a person in the military knows that's true and its their expectation that will happen - they will not give up and they will do everything to find them.

    as for the last 3(numbers) sentences in your post, all assumptions about me coming from you............ as in NOT based on anything i said specifically about Berdahl.
    Go Vols

  9. #299
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    15,498

    Re: Bowe Bergdahl, U.S. soldier held in Afghanistan, freed in swap

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    I don't think the Army made the decision to bring Bergdahl home I think it was the President and the State Department.
    And if the Army feels the need to ask the president first, they'll do just that. What's more, in the beginning, the search for Bergdahl was directed by the Army - no outside 'permission' needed. But when it became a matter of our intelligence services having to be the ones to find Bergdahl, they can't just go tell the Army, "There he is, go get him." It becomes a much bigger thing, a matter to be taken up at the cabinet level.

    Fact of the matter is, every soldier has a breaking point. The question is what information is provided and when. There's a difference between voluntary collaboration and breaking under torture.
    Do we know why Bergdahl did what he did, or what he was subjected to? No. "Innocent till proven guilty". If the Army finds him guilty and sends him off to Leavenworth, that's fine. But we bring our soldiers home.
    To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what hes doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

  10. #300
    Sage
    Arbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    07-12-16 @ 01:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,395
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Bowe Bergdahl, U.S. soldier held in Afghanistan, freed in swap

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    Okay, and which side of the fence do you think I stand on?
    That's irrelevant to your false point.
    "nah i think the way cons want to turn this into a political issue is funny though" - Philly Boss

Page 30 of 54 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •