Page 29 of 54 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast
Results 281 to 290 of 533

Thread: Bowe Bergdahl, U.S. soldier held in Afghanistan, freed in swap

  1. #281
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Bowe Bergdahl, U.S. soldier held in Afghanistan, freed in swap

    Quote Originally Posted by ChezC3 View Post
    Actually, as has been shown, it does...

    Honey? How did you get into Ockham's account?

    What are ya man, my wife? Did you not listen to me sayin I don't agree but the facts on the ground are as they are -- I've shown it as it is...
    I don't agree you've shown that it is, that's because I don't buy the premise. So we'll have to agree to disagree there.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChezC3 View Post
    Now, why would an RFID chip sound silly, outside of you just seemingly trying to talk past me and create an argument where there is none to be had?
    It's silly because a). The Obama administration has not shown foresight to even contemplate such a move b). the amount of technological infrastructure, secrecy, and logistical functionality as well as a very robust trust based relationship with Qatar would be required, as would assets on the ground and to my knowledge little of that exists today and finally c.) since history is the best predictor of future success, human RFID with remote tracking to have been surgically installed in these 5 assets would and could easily be found and would be obvious to the individuals themselves. They wouldn't notice being put to sleep and waking up with a small incision and feel something under their skin? Comon... this isn't a James Bond movie this is reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChezC3 View Post
    We have the logistics to stick a RFID in our dogs but not people? Are you serious?
    Yep serious.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChezC3 View Post
    Are you unaware of the technology that's out there? Of DARPA? Of Regina Dugan? This isn't conspiracy theory BS man, these people/things are real, and they are really promoting it...If they already are in the initial phases of marketing it for civilian use you can bet your Aunt Sally that it's been in use militarily.
    Yep I'm aware and for the reasons I've already identified, it's ludicrous to imagine these 5 guys have RFID's installed in them without them knowing it, that Qatar has the infrastructure or relationship with the US to track such a thing remotely, and that assets on the ground exist or would be used for the next year to track these guys 24x7x365. Ludicrous.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChezC3 View Post
    Youtube any interview with her and you'll see it is more than "logistically possible".
    It's horse****. Youtube is not the arbiter of truth - as the guys setting their farts on fire would attest.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChezC3 View Post
    Now, AS I SAID, did he or anyone of the dimwits have presence of mind or no?

    You say no, and I AM LIKELY TO AGREE.
    Presence of mind aside, it's still ludicrous given this is Qatar we're talking about. Sorry I want to get on board with your view but my common sense just won't let me.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  2. #282
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Bowe Bergdahl, U.S. soldier held in Afghanistan, freed in swap

    Quote Originally Posted by tacomancer View Post
    Perhaps we could have gotten the 72 year old grandfather back instead and move Bergdahl to the bottom of the list. Monday morning quarterbacking - absolutely. But then again, these Harvard and Yale folks in the White House are supposed to be a lot smarter than us regular yokels. This debacle pretty much debunks that though.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  3. #283
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,360

    Re: Bowe Bergdahl, U.S. soldier held in Afghanistan, freed in swap

    Quote Originally Posted by mtm1963 View Post
    your question a red herring and you know it.




    how can you elevate these 5 individuals to the status of those who didn't just kill 100's or even 1000's to those who killed millions. ridiculous.



    questions are good and no one is asking you to shut up.



    sorry but that's simply isn't true.



    100's and 100's of soldiers died doing what they were asked to do in this war.
    The numbers are irrelevant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  4. #284
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    15,498

    Re: Bowe Bergdahl, U.S. soldier held in Afghanistan, freed in swap

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Ask Senator McCain how he feels now about taking extra beatings in Vietnam, when they were ready to let him go; but he wasn't leaving till his men were freed. And then this! Obama trades five bars of gold for a bar of lead.
    I am well aware of McCain's story...but you cannot hold every POW to McCain's standard.

    As I've pointed out already - this is NOT about Bergdahl. He is INNOCENT until proven otherwise in a court of law, as Gen. Stanley McChrystal (whom you must agree is no fan of the Obama administration) points out:

    Retired Gen. Stanley McChrystal on Wednesday urged Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl’s critics not to “judge” him until all the facts are in and sharply defended the extensive and risky search efforts that claimed the lives of some of his fellow soldiers.

    “We did a huge number of operations to try to stop the Taliban from being able to move him across the border into Pakistan,” McChrystal told Yahoo News in an exclusive interview. “And we made a great effort and put a lot of people at risk in doing that, but that’s what you should do. That’s what soldiers do for each other.”

    Bergdahl’s release as part of a prisoner swap involving five Taliban commanders has drawn angry scrutiny in Congress. It has also prompted some of his former comrades in arms to paint him as a deserter unworthy of the frantic search efforts on his behalf.

    McChrystal, who commanded the war effort in Afghanistan at the time of Bergdahl’s June 2009 vanishing, declined to shed any more light on the circumstances of his disappearance.

    “We’re going to have to wait and talk to Sgt. Bergdahl now and get his side of the story,” he said. “One of the great things about America is we should not judge until we know the facts. And after we know the facts, then we should make a mature judgment on how we should handle it.”

    Asked whether he would have made the same prisoner swap, McChrystal replied: “We don’t leave Americans behind. That’s unequivocal.”


    It's NOT about Bergdahl - it's about proving to our men and women in uniform that we WILL NOT leave Americans behind, even if it means putting more people at risk in order to get them.

    But I suppose now the Right will declare that McChrystal's some kind of liberal stooge and Obama apologist....
    To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what hes doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

  5. #285
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Bowe Bergdahl, U.S. soldier held in Afghanistan, freed in swap

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Perhaps we could have gotten the 72 year old grandfather back instead and move Bergdahl to the bottom of the list. Monday morning quarterbacking - absolutely. But then again, these Harvard and Yale folks in the White House are supposed to be a lot smarter than us regular yokels. This debacle pretty much debunks that though.
    The US could have behaved more honorably had they freed the Doctor who led them to bin Laden from that Pakistani prison, or the American marine being held in a Tia Juana jail. No prisoner exchange from Gitmo would be required in either case. Just economic threats.

    Has anyone else ever wondered just whose side this guy is on?

  6. #286
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,081

    Re: Bowe Bergdahl, U.S. soldier held in Afghanistan, freed in swap

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    If you had continued to read the thread you would see that I concurred with the six number. You would also see that I was reporting what I heard on the radio and was not playing "loose and fancy free" with the facts. The facts remain that we don't know what Bergdahl's status was or is as I also subsequently posted. Nor did I make it a partisan issue as your post does. It seems just as many Democrats are asking the same questions as the Republicans are on this one. But don't let facts get in the way of making something partisan that shouldn't be.
    I am glad you came around once educated on the correct number. My issue was your posting of a bad number in the first place.

    Building an argument based upon wrong facts makes you a purveyor of gossip. Its only intent is to imflame people's angst. (Ya worked their panties into a bunch based upon untruths). This business about some radio guy who's name you can not recall is lame and does not excuse the fact that you posted it, so you own it. Not checking out things you post is intellectually dishonest. In fact, disregard for the truth can be an element in adjudging fraud. I will take those that are foot loose and fancy free with the facts to task. I love honest debate; I loath debate based upon dishonest premises and facts, especially when the poster doesn't care if his/her facts are correct (including being too lazy to offer cites to back up assertions).

    ... as you making it political, I think you were the one that suggested the prisoner swap was designed to be a head fake (was political). I answered by challenge that questioned why he would want to draw attention away from this events as they, to many, just make the Cons look petty and foolish. Probably the wrong time to make that argument. I should have just attacked the absurdity and politics of your assertion.

  7. #287
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,513
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Bowe Bergdahl, U.S. soldier held in Afghanistan, freed in swap

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    I am glad you came around once educated on the correct number. My issue was your posting of a bad number in the first place.

    Building an argument based upon wrong facts makes you a purveyor of gossip. Its only intent is to imflame people's angst. (Ya worked their panties into a bunch based upon untruths). This business about some radio guy who's name you can not recall is lame and does not excuse the fact that you posted it, so you own it. Not checking out things you post is intellectually dishonest. In fact, disregard for the truth can be an element in adjudging fraud. I will take those that are foot loose and fancy free with the facts to task. I love honest debate; I loath debate based upon dishonest premises and facts, especially when the poster doesn't care if his/her facts are correct (including being too lazy to offer cites to back up assertions).

    ... as you making it political, I think you were the one that suggested the prisoner swap was designed to be a head fake (was political). I answered by challenge that questioned why he would want to draw attention away from this events as they, to many, just make the Cons look petty and foolish. Probably the wrong time to make that argument. I should have just attacked the absurdity and politics of your assertion.
    Well if repeating what I heard on the radio makes me a 'purveyor of gossip', then I have been guilty of that for a very long time and will absolutely continue to be so. On the other hand, I think those who automatically question the motives of 'cons' who question the party line, the politically correct version, or the assigned talking points can look pretty petty and foolish themselves.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  8. #288
    Relentless Thinking Fury
    ChezC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,125

    Re: Bowe Bergdahl, U.S. soldier held in Afghanistan, freed in swap

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    I don't agree you've shown that it is, that's because I don't buy the premise. So we'll have to agree to disagree there.

    It's silly because a). The Obama administration has not shown foresight to even contemplate such a move b). the amount of technological infrastructure, secrecy, and logistical functionality as well as a very robust trust based relationship with Qatar would be required, as would assets on the ground and to my knowledge little of that exists today and finally c.) since history is the best predictor of future success, human RFID with remote tracking to have been surgically installed in these 5 assets would and could easily be found and would be obvious to the individuals themselves. They wouldn't notice being put to sleep and waking up with a small incision and feel something under their skin? Comon... this isn't a James Bond movie this is reality.

    Yep serious.

    Yep I'm aware and for the reasons I've already identified, it's ludicrous to imagine these 5 guys have RFID's installed in them without them knowing it, that Qatar has the infrastructure or relationship with the US to track such a thing remotely, and that assets on the ground exist or would be used for the next year to track these guys 24x7x365. Ludicrous.

    It's horse****. Youtube is not the arbiter of truth - as the guys setting their farts on fire would attest.



    Presence of mind aside, it's still ludicrous given this is Qatar we're talking about. Sorry I want to get on board with your view but my common sense just won't let me.
    Have a good day...

  9. #289
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,281

    Re: Bowe Bergdahl, U.S. soldier held in Afghanistan, freed in swap

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    I am well aware of McCain's story...but you cannot hold every POW to McCain's standard.

    As I've pointed out already - this is NOT about Bergdahl. He is INNOCENT until proven otherwise in a court of law, as Gen. Stanley McChrystal (whom you must agree is no fan of the Obama administration) points out:

    Retired Gen. Stanley McChrystal on Wednesday urged Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl’s critics not to “judge” him until all the facts are in and sharply defended the extensive and risky search efforts that claimed the lives of some of his fellow soldiers.

    “We did a huge number of operations to try to stop the Taliban from being able to move him across the border into Pakistan,” McChrystal told Yahoo News in an exclusive interview. “And we made a great effort and put a lot of people at risk in doing that, but that’s what you should do. That’s what soldiers do for each other.”

    Bergdahl’s release as part of a prisoner swap involving five Taliban commanders has drawn angry scrutiny in Congress. It has also prompted some of his former comrades in arms to paint him as a deserter unworthy of the frantic search efforts on his behalf.

    McChrystal, who commanded the war effort in Afghanistan at the time of Bergdahl’s June 2009 vanishing, declined to shed any more light on the circumstances of his disappearance.

    “We’re going to have to wait and talk to Sgt. Bergdahl now and get his side of the story,” he said. “One of the great things about America is we should not judge until we know the facts. And after we know the facts, then we should make a mature judgment on how we should handle it.”

    Asked whether he would have made the same prisoner swap, McChrystal replied: “We don’t leave Americans behind. That’s unequivocal.”


    It's NOT about Bergdahl - it's about proving to our men and women in uniform that we WILL NOT leave Americans behind, even if it means putting more people at risk in order to get them.

    But I suppose now the Right will declare that McChrystal's some kind of liberal stooge and Obama apologist....
    If Bergdahl hadn't walked from his post, would those extra operations have been necessary?

    Oh BTW......
    http://time.com/2826534/bowe-bergdahl-taliban-captors/
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  10. #290
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Bowe Bergdahl, U.S. soldier held in Afghanistan, freed in swap

    Quote Originally Posted by ChezC3 View Post
    Have a good day...
    Can you point to one area where the government as RFID a human prisoner or terrorist without their knowledge and we tracked them successfully - anywhere at any time? This would be a first and truly remarkable if accomplished in Qatar. Have a nice night.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


Page 29 of 54 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •