Page 25 of 54 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 533

Thread: Bowe Bergdahl, U.S. soldier held in Afghanistan, freed in swap

  1. #241
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Bowe Bergdahl, U.S. soldier held in Afghanistan, freed in swap

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    Hm? Really? You post this: "Got any more far left partisan drivel you'd like to deposit? I hope not because any more and normal people are going to start to puke all over the place."

    ...and you get ticked off because I accuse you of being part of the Right?

    Guy, maybe you disagree with the Right on certain things - but are you assuming that I never disagree with the Left? Look at my chosen name: "Glen Contrarian". Do you think that 'Contrarian' is there just for the hell of it? Yeah, I call myself 'progressive'...but you would be better advised not to assume that I'm some kind of talking-points-repeat-bot.

    I am retired Navy - I give a damn about my fellow military, even the ones who did really stupid things like Bergdahl did. In this case I am defending Obama's actions because his actions were the right thing to do. We followed our national TRADITION. Maybe the tradition of "leave no one behind no matter what" doesn't mean that much to you, but it sure as hell does to me.

    Here's something that a retired Navy warrant officer wrote - it's a truly epic ass-chewing for all those who wanted to just leave Bergdahl there. Maybe you've spent a couple decades or more in the military. If you did, even if you disagree with him, you'll enjoy it as only career military can.
    He did not do the right thing. First of all, the war is not over. Second, Berghdal renounced his citizenship and deserted, third, Obama broke the law in doing it.

    There is no "right thing" in any of it.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  2. #242
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Bowe Bergdahl, U.S. soldier held in Afghanistan, freed in swap

    Quote Originally Posted by ChezC3 View Post
    I was speaking to his pattern of behavior...

    I agree with all you're saying but being responsible for enforcing the law means you get to break it, especially when you're protected by the Senate.
    What? No it doesn't mean you get to break the law because he's protected by the Senate. Just because I know a cop who has my back doesn't mean I should be allowed to commit a crime and get away with it. Either the law applies to everyone or it does not and if it does not, this government will soon fold under its own corruption. Now that doesn't sound half bad to me personally, but I still believe in accountability even though it's now considered a quaint point of view.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChezC3 View Post
    What I don't think your getting is that what I'm saying is did he just let those 5 go free and clear with a pat on the bum and a "No hard feeling, eh?"

    Or

    Did he at some point stick a RFID chip up their asses so that once free -- unbeknownst to them -- they would lead our Intelligence community to other conspirators and if the need arises, like when they get all the intel possible, they send in a drone strike zeroed in on the RFID signal and BOOM! No more bad guys?
    I seriously doubt anything like that occurred. The AP actually contradicted Obama's own statement on the release - Obama stated the US will keep tabs on these guys when the AP reported there is no such thing planned nor logistically a way to do such a thing.

    What I don't get is the benefit of the doubt this President gets - when has his administration shown foresight and planning? In fact it seems to be the direct opposite; they make things up as they go along. So an RFID chip seems silly. It might be a nice thing to think about to sleep at night but that's about it.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  3. #243
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,928
    Blog Entries
    24

    Re: Bowe Bergdahl, U.S. soldier held in Afghanistan, freed in swap

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    Not really, The Taliban and their other 3 allied troops just controlled the area where AQ was training and given safe sancturary.
    Then why was the Bush administration talking with them at all?



    It's been sixty years since then, and thirty years since the Iran/Iraq war that was worse than any war America's ever fought in terms of deaths.

    If such had been done to America by a foreign power, do you really think we would have forgiven - much less forgotten - by then? Remember, there are many alive in Iran today whose parents, siblings, or children died in that war where we gave so much more assistance to the other side.



    And I really couldn't care less. What I care about is getting our soldiers home.



    Why do you think I feel the least sympathy for a deserter? This is NOT about Bergdahl! And it's not about letting those five Taliban free. This is about upholding the tradition we've held for 238 years that no one gets left behind.

    Why is it a big freaking deal? Because the tradition that we leave no one behind is a not-much-short-of-sacred promise we give to our men and women in uniform. NO ONE GETS LEFT BEHIND. If they start thinking that yeah, we might leave them behind, and if that's backed up with our actions like the Right apparently wanted us to do with Bergdahl, that directly affects morale - they're not so willing to stand their ground, and might be more willing to rout. On the other hand, if they KNOW that we've got their backs, if they KNOW that no matter what, we're coming for them, if they KNOW that they won't be left behind until they die, and if that's backed up with our actions like we just did with Bergdahl...that's a heck of a benefit for morale. It means the troops know that they can trust America to come get them.

    Like I said, it's NOT about Bergdahl - it's about TRADITION, and how that tradition directly benefits our troops in the field. Is this really so difficult to grasp?[/QUOTE]


    As to why Bush negotiated with them, I suppose it was because the Taliban were the ones providing sanctuary to AQ, I don’t know you would have to ask him.

    We left 80-100 deserters in Vietnam after the fall of Saigon and no one every question it. I suppose it was because this nation just wanted to wash its hands of Vietnam.

    Well, I tried to explain why some people here think we gave up way to much, I suppose I have failed. I remember a John McCain sitting in Hanoi Hilton, his father was CINCPAC at the time. The North Vietnamese offered to release him, but John and his father refused, stating those captured before him need to be released first.

    Anyway, take care, I will not try to explain things again.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  4. #244
    Relentless Thinking Fury
    ChezC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,125

    Re: Bowe Bergdahl, U.S. soldier held in Afghanistan, freed in swap

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    What? No it doesn't mean you get to break the law because he's protected by the Senate. Just because I know a cop who has my back doesn't mean I should be allowed to commit a crime and get away with it. Either the law applies to everyone or it does not and if it does not, this government will soon fold under its own corruption. Now that doesn't sound half bad to me personally, but I still believe in accountability even though it's now considered a quaint point of view.

    I seriously doubt anything like that occurred. The AP actually contradicted Obama's own statement on the release - Obama stated the US will keep tabs on these guys when the AP reported there is no such thing planned nor logistically a way to do such a thing.

    What I don't get is the benefit of the doubt this President gets - when has his administration shown foresight and planning? In fact it seems to be the direct opposite; they make things up as they go along. So an RFID chip seems silly. It might be a nice thing to think about to sleep at night but that's about it.
    Actually, as has been shown, it does...

    Honey? How did you get into Ockham's account?

    What are ya man, my wife? Did you not listen to me sayin I don't agree but the facts on the ground are as they are -- I've shown it as it is...

    Now, why would an RFID chip sound silly, outside of you just seemingly trying to talk past me and create an argument where there is none to be had?

    We have the logistics to stick a RFID in our dogs but not people? Are you serious? Are you unaware of the technology that's out there? Of DARPA? Of Regina Dugan? This isn't conspiracy theory BS man, these people/things are real, and they are really promoting it...If they already are in the initial phases of marketing it for civilian use you can bet your Aunt Sally that it's been in use militarily.

    Youtube any interview with her and you'll see it is more than "logistically possible".

    Now, AS I SAID, did he or anyone of the dimwits have presence of mind or no?

    You say no, and I AM LIKELY TO AGREE.

  5. #245
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Bowe Bergdahl, U.S. soldier held in Afghanistan, freed in swap


  6. #246
    Educator
    mtm1963's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    05-25-17 @ 04:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,067

    Re: Bowe Bergdahl, U.S. soldier held in Afghanistan, freed in swap

    Quote Originally Posted by Arbo View Post
    Let's not… just answer the question rather than avoiding it.

    The only 'politics' in this situation is being played by the politicians. There are valid concerns about this whole situation and those involved, and those questions don't care who was president when such a thing happens, so continuing on with 'this is just politics' is beyond moronic.



    These are the people released:



    Who is naive?????
    your question a red herring and you know it.


    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    These 5 guys are the Jodl, Himmler, Keitel, Geobbels and Hess of the Taliban, so yes, these 5 guys could very well make a difference.

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    If Bergdahl hadn't deserted his unit, he wouldn't have been captured. That one decision cost several American lives and placed no telling how many more in danger.
    Quote Originally Posted by Capster78 View Post
    This sounds very nice, but very little truth lies in the history of this thinking. It only takes one Hitler, one Mao, one Stalin to shape a movement that tricks people into thinking killing mass amounts of people is ok. So to say 5 high ranking terrorists will have no effect because there are thousands out there is just ignorant.
    how can you elevate these 5 individuals to the status of those who didn't just kill 100's or even 1000's to those who killed millions. ridiculous.

    Quote Originally Posted by Beaudreaux View Post
    I stated that I am glad the guy is coming home. Maybe you missed that. That doesn't mean that I have to shut up about how it was done. Or, ask questions.

    I would think that the people that these 5 kill, would think that it should have mattered and that it does make a difference. What difference does it make? Are you the speech writer for Hillary Clinton also?
    questions are good and no one is asking you to shut up.

    Quote Originally Posted by Travis007 View Post
    Thsi deal puts every American at risk to be taken hostage..
    sorry but that's simply isn't true.

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    He deserted his post. 6 men directly died in operations to find him.

    What do you tell those families?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Bergdahl was a deserter that renounced his American citizenship. As far as I'm concerned, we gave the enemy 5 proven murderers for one stateless criminal.
    100's and 100's of soldiers died doing what they were asked to do in this war.
    Go Vols

  7. #247
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In a Blue State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,732

    Re: Bowe Bergdahl, U.S. soldier held in Afghanistan, freed in swap

    He is a soldier, an American soldier. It doesn't matter if he made a mistake. We should not leave his punishment or capture up to the Taliban. Get him back. Deal with everything else after he is back in us control.
    We went from sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me to safe spaces.

  8. #248
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Bowe Bergdahl, U.S. soldier held in Afghanistan, freed in swap

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_State View Post
    He is a soldier, an American soldier. It doesn't matter if he made a mistake. We should not leave his punishment or capture up to the Taliban. Get him back. Deal with everything else after he is back in us control.
    And that has been the case. Now, with this president, the question is will they?
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  9. #249
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,928
    Blog Entries
    24

    Re: Bowe Bergdahl, U.S. soldier held in Afghanistan, freed in swap

    Quote Originally Posted by tacomancer View Post
    Cute, this is what I love about DP, the same people will jump on and condemn the president saying he can do nothing wrong no matter what he does and it is the same people what will be defending him to the hilt saying he can do no wrong no matter what he does.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  10. #250
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In a Blue State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,732

    Re: Bowe Bergdahl, U.S. soldier held in Afghanistan, freed in swap

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    And that has been the case. Now, with this president, the question is will they?
    No idea. I would love to hear from the SGT's platoon leader and platoon SGT. I think they knew (I have nothing to back this, pure speculation and opinion). The reason I think that was he was in missions outside the wire, and few days later on base guard duty. That was suppose to be a low stress duty. I could be way off.

    The doctors will help him now. Hopefully, he can has some semblance of a normal life. The military will do its thing, but I don't forsee them punishing him after being captive for 5 years. Maybe just ETS.
    We went from sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me to safe spaces.

Page 25 of 54 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •