Page 40 of 51 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast
Results 391 to 400 of 503

Thread: US soldier freed from captivity in Afghanistan

  1. #391
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,584

    Re: US soldier freed from captivity in Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    I appreciate your service, and I mean that in a for real, non passive aggressive way.

    That being said, had you messed up and got captured by those assholes, I would still support cleaning out Guantanamo to get you back.

    The truth will eventually come out about this one way or the other. What makes me furious is that some immediately made this political because they hate some stupid political figure. Fox will probably spend months ripping this dude. I wonder if they've turned comments back on yet.

    Anyway, this whole ****ing thing just really rubbed me the wrong way. I see that the dude is getting out, feel relief, and say as much in the thread. Then I get swarmed by pissed off Republicans.

    Maybe this will help : **** both sides. It's one of the most piss poor choices every time I get to vote, and now one half of the duopoly has almost completely eliminated itself from consideration via its behavior.

    We need some people who want to help the country more than to promote some stupid political party label. Washington was right on when he warned about both political parties and foreign entanglements.

    Either way, I had better start making my way out of the thread. I go between annoyed and furious, and **** that.
    So, let me get this straight: we can only criticise presidents that we like?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  2. #392
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,136

    Re: US soldier freed from captivity in Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    So, let me get this straight: we can only criticise presidents that we like?
    this interpretation barely even reaches strawman level. you should consider rereading my post.

  3. #393
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,584

    Re: US soldier freed from captivity in Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    We free a possible deserter and we can"t get a marine released from a Mexican jail who received and honorable discharge as well as letting 4 Americans die in Benghazi........Go figure.
    Hell, we oughta see if the Mexicans want a few Gitmo prisoners.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  4. #394
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,584

    Re: US soldier freed from captivity in Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    this interpretation barely even reaches strawman level. you should consider rereading my post.
    Well, what's really happening is a massive display of your own partisanship. It's the new strategy of the Leftward leaning folks, since "you're a racist" lost most of it's gas, "you're a partisan hack" has taken it's place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  5. #395
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,136

    Re: US soldier freed from captivity in Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Well, what's really happening is a massive display of your own partisanship. It's the new strategy of the Leftward leaning folks, since "you're a racist" lost most of it's gas, "you're a partisan hack" has taken it's place.
    this has also been clarified previously. given your repeated and willful mischaracterization of my posts as well as your strawman arguments, i have no desire to discuss this topic with you. good bye.

  6. #396
    Sage
    Arbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    07-12-16 @ 01:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,395
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: US soldier freed from captivity in Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    Bush voter in 2000;
    And I voted for Mickey Mouse. Does me saying it make it true?

    now i'm reading posts advocating holding prisoners for life without trial and lambasting me for being happy that a POW has been released. i've seen a lot of really partisan stuff, but this is just unbelievable.
    Holding enemy combatants, that have attacked and killed our people, while hostilities continue. That is kinda the norm.

    You are not being lambasted, it was simply asked if you can see past your narrow view.. if perhaps some of these other stories, from people that were there, could be true and perhaps this guy is not a hero. But it appears just asking to consider anything other than what you already think makes you mad.

    And again, it is really poor form to call it 'partisan'. It has nothing to do with parties, it has to do with following the rule of law, it has to do with the possibility that the guy is a deserter and thus is responsible for the deaths of many other Americans, it has to do with releasing terrorists that have attacked and killed Americans… doesn't matter what party the person that did it is…
    "nah i think the way cons want to turn this into a political issue is funny though" - Philly Boss

  7. #397
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,136

    Re: US soldier freed from captivity in Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by Arbo View Post
    And I voted for Mickey Mouse. Does me saying it make it true?
    my full presidential voting record since age 18 :

    1992 : Ross Perot

    1996 : DNV

    2000 : Bush

    2004 : Badnarik

    2008 : Obama, because he was running against a hawk, and i was concerned that McCain would make the wars last forever, as well as potentially signing us up for new ones.

    2012 : Obama, because you guys ran a candidate who came off as an out of touch plutocrat who was going to give us more failed trickle down nonsense.

    believe what you will about my partisan leanings. i am a left leaning independent, and i have posted my political compass publicly on this site. i have also explained the specifics of the evolution of my political views in multiple threads.

    Quote Originally Posted by Arbo View Post
    Holding enemy combatants, that have attacked and killed our people, while hostilities continue. That is kinda the norm.

    You are not being lambasted, it was simply asked if you can see past your narrow view.. if perhaps some of these other stories, from people that were there, could be true and perhaps this guy is not a hero. But it appears just asking to consider anything other than what you already think makes you mad.

    And again, it is really poor form to call it 'partisan'. It has nothing to do with parties, it has to do with following the rule of law, it has to do with the possibility that the guy is a deserter and thus is responsible for the deaths of many other Americans, it has to do with releasing terrorists that have attacked and killed Americans… doesn't matter what party the person that did it is…
    if you want to claim that you personally are not making this political, and that you would be making the exact same line of argument in this thread under a Republican president, i will take your word for it.

  8. #398
    Sage
    Arbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    07-12-16 @ 01:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,395
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: US soldier freed from captivity in Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    What makes me furious is that some immediately made this political because they hate some stupid political figure.
    If you repeat a lie often enough, it is still a lie.
    "nah i think the way cons want to turn this into a political issue is funny though" - Philly Boss

  9. #399
    Sage
    Arbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    07-12-16 @ 01:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,395
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: US soldier freed from captivity in Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    if you want to claim that you personally are not making this political, and that you would be making the exact same line of argument in this thread under a Republican president, i will take your word for it.
    I wouldn't care if the president was Obama or either Bush, or LBJ or Kennedy or Nixon or GOD. The whole issue doesn't pass the stink test. And whoever the president is, they appear to have done wrong, and played a political game.
    "nah i think the way cons want to turn this into a political issue is funny though" - Philly Boss

  10. #400
    Sage


    eohrnberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,952
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: US soldier freed from captivity in Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by Arbo View Post
    I wouldn't care if the president was Obama or either Bush, or LBJ or Kennedy or Nixon or GOD. The whole issue doesn't pass the stink test. And whoever the president is, they appear to have done wrong, and played a political game.
    I'd have to agree.

    And whom is it in the White House who's constantly playing political games?
    Playing for political gains? (real or perceived - more often than not just perceived rather than real)
    Flexible principals when it comes to the truth, which loses out for political gains? (real or perceived - more often than not just perceived rather than real)

    You only get one guess. . . . . .
    the Fix-is-in Bureau of Investigation

Page 40 of 51 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •