Page 15 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 503

Thread: US soldier freed from captivity in Afghanistan

  1. #141
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,985

    Re: US soldier freed from captivity in Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Yeah Capster......I agree. Still because some Repubs spoke out against BO. Pointed out how he went around Congress again.

    They think its just the GOP making this Political. But then......once again. Johnny Quest McCain to the Obama Emotional Rescue.



    McCain Now Supports Trading Taliban Prisoner for US Prisoner....

    Sen. John McCain says he now would be inclined to support trading a Taliban prisoner held at Guantanamo Bay for a U.S. soldier held captive in Afghanistan.

    In 2012, McCain called the idea of negotiating with the Taliban "bizarre" and "highly questionable," but on Tuesday he said on CNN's "Anderson Cooper 360" that he would be open to a swap now being discussed.

    U.S. Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl has been held by a group with ties to the Taliban for almost four years, and the group has demanded the United States release five Taliban prisoners in exchange for him.

    The Washington Post reported that U.S. officials confirmed that talks among diplomats and the Pentagon were under way. The official U.S. policy is not to negotiate with terrorists, but the military is winding down operations there by the end of the year and could risk leaving Bergdahl behind, CNN noted.

    McCain said his stance has changed only because the previous proposal was to release five "hard-core" Taliban leaders as a "confidence-building measure." The current proposal would be an actual exchange of prisoners.

    "I would be inclined to support such a thing, depending on a lot of details," he said.....snip~


    Read Latest Breaking News from Newsmax.com McCain Says He's Now Open to a U.S.-Taliban Prisoner Exchange
    Sunday June 01, 2014 <<<<< !


    Flip Flop and Fry Johnny Quest.....show me the Declaration of War on the Taliban for an exchange of Prisoners.
    I believe that would be S.J. Res. 23, passed in the 107th congress.

    https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/107/sjres23/text
    "If you can't stand the way this place is, Take yourself to higher places!"
    Break, By Three days grace

    Hilliary Clinton/Tim Kaine 2016

  2. #142
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 07:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    15,538

    Re: US soldier freed from captivity in Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by Capster78 View Post
    Is that indicative of hate for 1 person who has little control over what happens in congress. Or perhaps, is that more indicative of the times where congress has become more and more partisan. I think you are making a case based on dishonest information. Partisanship has been an increasing problem and I don't think you could prove that it is a result of some kind of conspiratory hate for Obama. What I think you can prove, is that congress itself has become ineffective regaurdless of who would be sitting in that seat right now.
    What can be proven is that while the partisanship has been growing since the early 1990's - which IMO is a direct result of the passage of the Civil Rights Act (a long story, but I strongly feel that can be proven thanks to Nixon's Southern Strategy) - the current level of obstruction is beyond anything we've seen since the Civil War...and it is a deliberate act on the part of the GOP.
    To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what hes doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

  3. #143
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 07:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    15,538

    Re: US soldier freed from captivity in Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by Capster78 View Post
    No, I would not risk a single life looking for someone who willfully walked off post. Now if he was captured against his will, yes.. You go and get the guy out of there even if it costs you 3-4-5 lives. Because if you don't do that, you will find an entire army that has little loyalty to itself because of the knowledge the army has little loyalty to its member. If soldiers start feeling that way, you start to become an ineffective army.



    Free a soldier that............. might have possibly left the base as a Taliban apologist. As much as you think that does not matter, yes it actually does.
    You bring up a good point...except that it is not proven that he deserted. We have indications of such, but do we have proof that would stand up in a court-martial? Not to my knowledge. And in the military, it's just like in the civilian world - we're supposed to assume innocence until proven guilty.

    He has not been proven guilty (yet), so we must assume innocence...and so the actions by the Obama administration are just and proper.
    To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what hes doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

  4. #144
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,985

    Re: US soldier freed from captivity in Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by Capster78 View Post
    No, I would not risk a single life looking for someone who willfully walked off post. Now if he was captured against his will, yes.. You go and get the guy out of there even if it costs you 3-4-5 lives. Because if you don't do that, you will find an entire army that has little loyalty to itself because of the knowledge the army has little loyalty to its member. If soldiers start feeling that way, you start to become an ineffective army.



    Free a soldier that............. might have possibly left the base as a Taliban apologist. As much as you think that does not matter, yes it actually does.
    if he intentionally walked off in an act of defection, we will punish him accordingly.
    "If you can't stand the way this place is, Take yourself to higher places!"
    Break, By Three days grace

    Hilliary Clinton/Tim Kaine 2016

  5. #145
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,121

    Re: US soldier freed from captivity in Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by Capster78 View Post
    I don't care if those who hate Obama are questioning his decision to lay out a hero's welcome mat to someone that may actually deserve to be punished for desertion. What matters to me is not that Obama is president, but that ANYONE who is the President of the United States would do what he has just done. If Bush had done it, I would be just as critical. It does not matter who is sitting in that seat. It is only you who wishes to cover up this issue because you believe people hate Obama.
    i give zero ****s about the Obama angle.

    my first post on this sums up my feelings, and i should have left it at that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix
    this is a good thing. i can't imagine what he went through. i'm very glad that he is being released.
    and then somebody wants to call me on it and make it political? that sucks, and it made me see red.

    either way, i apologize for the tone of my most recent post to you.

  6. #146
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    01-15-15 @ 03:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,578

    Re: US soldier freed from captivity in Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by APACHERAT View Post
    We use words like DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY and Obama and the entire White House staff go scrambling looking for a dictionary.
    oh look someone saw A FEW GOOD MEN

  7. #147
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: US soldier freed from captivity in Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    I believe that would be S.J. Res. 23, passed in the 107th congress.

    https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/107/sjres23/text
    Well that would work BUT for one issue.....that's an Authorization for a use of Force. So there is no Prisoner of War Exchange. Its not a Declaration of War. Furthermore......the Taliban is Not a governmental Force, nor do they field an Army.

  8. #148
    Professor
    Capster78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    08-24-15 @ 02:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,253

    Re: US soldier freed from captivity in Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    if he intentionally walked off in an act of defection, we will punish him accordingly.
    You don't think that it is highly doubtfull he will be punished based on the welcome he received when he was brought back? You think the President and his Administration would willfully commit political suicide?
    - There was never a good war, or a bad peace.
    - Idealistically, everything should work as you planed it to. Realistically, it depends on how idealistic you are as to the measure of success.
    - Better to be a pessimist before, and an optimist afterwords.

  9. #149
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,985

    Re: US soldier freed from captivity in Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Well that would work BUT for one issue.....that's an Authorization for a use of Force. So there is no Prisoner of War Exchange. Its not a Declaration of War. Furthermore......the Taliban is Not a governmental Force, nor do they field an Army.
    it authorized the "war on terror"
    "If you can't stand the way this place is, Take yourself to higher places!"
    Break, By Three days grace

    Hilliary Clinton/Tim Kaine 2016

  10. #150
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: US soldier freed from captivity in Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    What will the concequences be if Qatar cuts them lose?
    A strongly worded letter.

    No, wait, that's only for the really big stuff.

    Presidential disappointment. There ya go.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

Page 15 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •