Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 118

Thread: Bloomberg: Universities becoming bastions of intolerance

  1. #71
    Sage


    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    midwest
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    11,305
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Bloomberg: Universities becoming bastions of intolerance

    Quote Originally Posted by Sababa View Post
    so you are just another person who makes an accusation you can't back up. It must suck to be conservative since this seems to be a trait for you guys.
    I didn't realize that things this obvious needed "backing up" but I guess liberals can be a little thick at times so I'll explain it slowly and without a lot of big fancy words.

    The OP of this thread is dealing with a growing trend on University campuses where students, often with the guidance of faculty,(that's teachers and stuff) are displaying more intolerance to the opinions of "non-liberal" voices. In support of this point several examples of prominent conservatives being shouted down and being forced to cancel speaking engagements were cited.

    When asked for an example of a similar situation involving a prominent liberal receiving similar treatment the example of Eric Holder cancelling a speech to a group of police academy graduates was given. This example is not an apples to apples comparison for two reasons. First, it was a police academy. The OP was dealing with colleges and universities. Second and most important, it was an Oklahoma citizens group that organized the protest. It wasn't affiliated with the academy or the graduates.

    So to sum up, in a thread about trends on college campuses a rebuttal was offered that didn't involve a university, students, or faculty. The only similarity is that he did cancel the speaking engagement due to protest.

  2. #72
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Last Seen
    01-28-15 @ 05:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    5,587
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Bloomberg: Universities becoming bastions of intolerance

    Colleges preach tolerance but practice intolerance.

  3. #73
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 09:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: Bloomberg: Universities becoming bastions of intolerance

    That's because one side of conservatism (the Money) dislikes academia because their quaint humanism opposes Social Darwinism and the other (the Grassroots) because they don't respect scholarship.
    If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not to yourself, but be certain the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.

    St. Benedict

  4. #74
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,072

    Re: Bloomberg: Universities becoming bastions of intolerance

    Quote Originally Posted by Morality Games View Post
    That's because one side of conservatism (the Money) dislikes academia because their quaint humanism opposes Social Darwinism and the other (the Grassroots) because they don't respect scholarship.
    Nonsense.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  5. #75
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    03-05-18 @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,862

    Re: Bloomberg: Universities becoming bastions of intolerance

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I don't like Bloomberg because of his ideology, but he called this one.
    No so sure. Yes conservatives disregard facts they don't like, but his evidence here is weak. I've never been to Harvard, but voting habits and student protests wouldn't convince me. I'd need to see evidence of the schools unwillingness to listen. Rice was invited. It's not a bad thing to take protest head on. I once heard a story of Bush I doing it brilliantly.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #76
    Professor

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    02-26-18 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,527

    Re: Bloomberg: Universities becoming bastions of intolerance

    Quote Originally Posted by Morality Games View Post
    That's because one side of conservatism (the Money) dislikes academia because their quaint humanism opposes Social Darwinism and the other (the Grassroots) because they don't respect scholarship.
    Is this an attempt to soak a post with sarcasm and wit? Remember, if that is the case, tone and inflection is lost on the internet.

    If you're serious....I started laughing at the "money" part. Most of academia easily fall in the upper class category.

  7. #77
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    39,302

    Re: Bloomberg: Universities becoming bastions of intolerance

    Not because of salaries we don't. When "upper class" includes those with extensive education as a marker, we do.

  8. #78
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Seen
    02-06-18 @ 01:01 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    521

    Re: Bloomberg: Universities becoming bastions of intolerance

    Quote Originally Posted by Khayembii Communique View Post
    I think this raises a discussion point more so than an inherent problem. Universities - many of them, at least - are public, and these speakers are being funded in many cases by student org dollars which mostly come from the university. The speakers, therefore, are being paid public dollars to speak at a public university. Now, I don't know about anyone else here, but if I was going to college and, say, someone that was calling for the genocide of Israelis or Palestinians, or who was promoting racial violence, came to speak and was being paid to do so at my university, I wouldn't want them to. I'd protest with the goal of getting it shut down.

    So the real question is, where is the line? Should there be one, or should students be allowed to protest whomever they want with the goal of shutting down the speech?
    There should be no line, for if there is one, it always gets moved and muddled.

  9. #79
    Sage
    Khayembii Communique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,001

    Re: Bloomberg: Universities becoming bastions of intolerance

    Quote Originally Posted by JRSaindo View Post
    There should be no line, for if there is one, it always gets moved and muddled.
    I disagree. I think there's always a line, even if we want to act like it's not there. There's only so much a society will tolerate. That's just how it is.
    "I do not claim that every incident in the history of empire can be explained in directly economic terms. Economic interests are filtered through a political process, policies are implemented by a complex state apparatus, and the whole system generates its own momentum."

  10. #80
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    85,109

    Re: Bloomberg: Universities becoming bastions of intolerance

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    No so sure. Yes conservatives disregard facts they don't like, but his evidence here is weak. I've never been to Harvard, but voting habits and student protests wouldn't convince me. I'd need to see evidence of the schools unwillingness to listen. Rice was invited. It's not a bad thing to take protest head on. I once heard a story of Bush I doing it brilliantly.
    It's very evident that Libbos--afraid of the Conservative message--will do anything to silence Conservative speech.
    Quote Originally Posted by americanwoman View Post
    So there is absolutely no evidence this woman, whom you called a slut, did this but you are ready to take someone's word as evidence. Guess you don't think witch hunts have to end when it's going after the certain people.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •