Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 106

Thread: Gay dads' brains show activity akin to both parents': study

  1. #91
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Gay dads' brains show activity akin to both parents': study

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    I really wonder how one goes about comparing brain activity. And not only that, but does similar "brain activity" correspond to the same cognitive experience?

    All that aside, let's suppose that this is indeed true. If carried out to it's logical conclusion, could one then devise a test for males for homosexuality?

    Interesting.
    People can think long and hard without it being good thinking at all. I present progressives as exhibit "A" for this argument.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  2. #92
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: Gay dads' brains show activity akin to both parents': study

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    The problem with your position is that you cannot say that there is no attraction, because it is possible that the attraction is there, but the conditions have not manifested themselves such that the person is aware of the attraction. Again, you can't say someone is attracted to something, until they are aware of it.
    Well i'm confused about the significance of this argument cause if you're correct, that has what bearing on orientation vs behavior? Suppose a "straight" prisoner finds a lover in prison and then gets out and like you claim, finds a male partner. Perhaps like i see from others on this site even, his "gay" relationship has more to do with not wanting to put up with women. Maybe in his desperate lack of other options he got used to the idea of being with a guy. People have a thousand reasons for their behavior. What has not changed for that prisoner, i can pretty much guarantee, is he's *still attracted to women*

  3. #93
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Gay dads' brains show activity akin to both parents': study

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    People can think long and hard without it being good thinking at all. I present progressives as exhibit "A" for this argument.
    Can you give a specific example, as in a person?

  4. #94
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Gay dads' brains show activity akin to both parents': study

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    Well i'm confused about the significance of this argument cause if you're correct, that has what bearing on orientation vs behavior?
    My position is that environmental influences and conditioning have an affect on sexuality. I gave the example of people going to prison who enter with one type of sexual behavior and exit with another. You say that they were already like that but not aware of it. I say that IF it is true that people can have a particular sexual orientation, and not be aware of it, then it is possible that every heterosexual person could be gay, and not simply be aware of it. And it may be that every homosexual person is straight, but may not be aware of it. That is so because we simply have no way of knowing, until a person is aware of it. It's not hard to understand.

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    Suppose a "straight" prisoner finds a lover in prison and then gets out and like you claim, finds a male partner. Perhaps like i see from others on this site even, his "gay" relationship has more to do with not wanting to put up with women.
    Who on this site is gay because they don't want to put up with women? Do let me start guessing!!

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    Maybe in his desperate lack of other options he got used to the idea of being with a guy. People have a thousand reasons for their behavior. What has not changed for that prisoner, i can pretty much guarantee, is he's *still attracted to women*
    Well, like I say, the incarceration rate for black males is high. So I know people who have been to prison. I was talking with my brother once on this subject and he told me about this guy who went to prison. When he came out, he told his girlfriend that he wanted the same thing she wanted now.
    Last edited by MildSteel; 05-30-14 at 08:32 PM.

  5. #95
    Curmudgeon


    LowDown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,562
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Gay dads' brains show activity akin to both parents': study

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    This article makes the claim that "gay men" are more attuned parents than either sex of the heterosexual alone. Interesting?
    More functional MRI crap. It doesn't mean anything.

    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --HL Mencken

  6. #96
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:52 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: Gay dads' brains show activity akin to both parents': study

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    They are not contradictory. They can have attractions that they may not have been aware of or, more likely, were denying but that were there. Their activities however do not indicate their actual attractions. The most telling evidence of prison not turning people gay or even bi is the fact that the vast majority of those who are proclaimed heterosexuals going into prison who are released from prison will go back into heterosexual relationships, longterm or just sexual after their release, even if they engaged in a good deal of same sex sexual activity while in prison.
    So... activities do not indicate actual attractions while in prison, but provide the "most telling evidence" once they come out?

  7. #97
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: Gay dads' brains show activity akin to both parents': study

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    Who on this site is gay because they don't want to put up with women? Do let me start guessing!!
    A few have posted they've "tried to be gay", like watching porn, cause of difficulty with women...didn't work of course. Hardly unique though. I've heard same thing from other online and offline friends. Humans are rather "homo-social" - we get along more with the same sex as we have more in common. There seems to be a growing belief (misconception in my view) that as the stigma goes away it's "easier being gay", easier to get laid, to not have to put up with emo crap from females.

  8. #98
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Gay dads' brains show activity akin to both parents': study

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    A few have posted they've "tried to be gay", like watching porn, cause of difficulty with women...didn't work of course. Hardly unique though. I've heard same thing from other online and offline friends. Humans are rather "homo-social" - we get along more with the same sex as we have more in common. There seems to be a growing belief (misconception in my view) that as the stigma goes away it's "easier being gay", easier to get laid, to not have to put up with emo crap from females.
    Maybe it's just me but I find people in general can be hard to deal with at times.

  9. #99
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Last Seen
    06-13-15 @ 10:52 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,460

    Re: Gay dads' brains show activity akin to both parents': study

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Uh, no, they haven't.
    Perhaps it might help if you actually read the article I referred to?

    How Does the Gender of Parents Matter? - Biblarz - 2010 - Journal of Marriage and Family - Wiley Online Library

    "The entrenched conviction that children need both a mother and a father inflames culture wars over single motherhood, divorce, gay marriage, and gay parenting. Research to date, however, does not support this claim. Contrary to popular belief, studies have not shown that "compared to all other family forms, families headed by married, biological parents are best for children" (Popenoe, quoted in Center for Marriage and Family, p. 1).


    More from the article:

    "Studies of primary caretaker married fathers; egalitarian coparenting heterosexual couples; single mother or fathers after a death divorce or desertion; heterosexual single mothers by accident or choice; lesbian mothers and gay fathers after heterosexual divorce; planned lesbian motherhood through donor insemination (DI) or adoption; planned gay fatherhood through surrogacy or coparenting with women"

    It's also not difficult to find research on adoptive parents, foster parents, kinship carers, grandparents, extended families etc

    So basically your statement is just nonsense.
    Last edited by Ceist; 05-30-14 at 11:19 PM.

  10. #100
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Last Seen
    06-13-15 @ 10:52 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,460

    Re: Gay dads' brains show activity akin to both parents': study

    How Does the Gender of Parents Matter? - Biblarz - 2010 - Journal of Marriage and Family - Wiley Online Library


    "The family type that is best for children is one that has responsible, committed, stable parenting. Two parents are, on average, better than one, but one really good parent is better than two not-so-good ones. The gender of parents only matters in ways that don't matter."

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •