Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 222

Thread: US to keep nearly 10k troops in Afghanistan after 2014.

  1. #71
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: US to keep nearly 10k troops in Afghanistan after 2014.

    The US may be in Afghanistan indefinitely. As soon as they leave, the farce of a government that is there will collapse. As I recall, Kazai was known as the "mayor of Kabul."

  2. #72
    Guru
    annata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    beneath the bodi tree
    Last Seen
    02-16-17 @ 12:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,163

    Re: US to keep nearly 10k troops in Afghanistan after 2014.

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    The US may be in Afghanistan indefinitely. As soon as they leave, the farce of a government that is there will collapse. As I recall, Kazai was known as the "mayor of Kabul."
    yes. I also am hearing the proposed Bilateral Security Agreement that next Afghani president will sign (BSA) allows further escalation after 2016-next president.

    IF all goes well and the Taliban are defeated, then the war ends if not...open commitment still playable by next POTUS

  3. #73
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: US to keep nearly 10k troops in Afghanistan after 2014.

    Quote Originally Posted by annata View Post
    yes. I also am hearing the proposed Bilateral Security Agreement that next Afghani president will sign (BSA) allows further escalation after 2016-next president.

    IF all goes well and the Taliban are defeated, then the war ends if not...open commitment still playable by next POTUS
    The problem is that the US is not going to defeat the Taliban. The Taliban are part of the people that are there, many of whom that detest the US with a passion. The US presence there will not do anything to destroy that hatred. Some of the people who smile with the US are the very people behind some of the attacks. That is the problem.

  4. #74
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,461

    Re: US to keep nearly 10k troops in Afghanistan after 2014.

    Quote Originally Posted by soot View Post
    I can't speak for all Americans, but I've been furious with our troop presence there for, oh, I don't know, about a decade now.

    Thing is, there's absolutely nothing we can do about it.
    There's plenty we can do; we just don't have a CIC with the balls to do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  5. #75
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,461

    Re: US to keep nearly 10k troops in Afghanistan after 2014.

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    The problem is that the US is not going to defeat the Taliban. The Taliban are part of the people that are there, many of whom that detest the US with a passion. The US presence there will not do anything to destroy that hatred. Some of the people who smile with the US are the very people behind some of the attacks. That is the problem.
    I can't help but laugh everytime someone suggests that the Taliban is in touch with the people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  6. #76
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: US to keep nearly 10k troops in Afghanistan after 2014.

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I can't help but laugh everytime someone suggests that the Taliban is in touch with the people.
    The Taliban are part of the population that is over there, just as white supremacists are a part of the population of the US.

  7. #77
    Guru
    annata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    beneath the bodi tree
    Last Seen
    02-16-17 @ 12:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,163

    Re: US to keep nearly 10k troops in Afghanistan after 2014.

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    The problem is that the US is not going to defeat the Taliban. The Taliban are part of the people that are there, many of whom that detest the US with a passion. The US presence there will not do anything to destroy that hatred. Some of the people who smile with the US are the very people behind some of the attacks. That is the problem.
    definitely a big problem, once the US pulls out of air support next year, the ANA will have no airstrikes to call in. Not sure about drones, but they are more for small targeting.

    I don't see any end here either

  8. #78
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: US to keep nearly 10k troops in Afghanistan after 2014.

    Quote Originally Posted by annata View Post
    definitely a big problem, once the US pulls out of air support next year, the ANA will have no airstrikes to call in. Not sure about drones, but they are more for small targeting.

    I don't see any end here either
    That's right. To make matters worse, the US relationship with Pakistan is in very bad shape. At a result, the Taliban can attack and then retreat back across the border into Pakistan till the cows come home.

  9. #79
    Guru

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,940

    Re: US to keep nearly 10k troops in Afghanistan after 2014.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    It's not. We have had limited humanitarian efforts in some of the countries. But our major form of interventionism is military, and we've done far more damage than good.

    Arguing from a position of propaganda and hyperbole is not helpful.
    I have been to Afghanistan and seen the good work that has been done. Have you.
    I think you might be the one with the propaganda
    President Franklin Roosevelt eulogized a fallen American Soldier by saying, “He stands in the unbroken line of patriots who have dared to die [that] freedom might live, and grow, and increase its blessings. Freedom lives, and through it he lives--in a way that humbles the undertakings of most men."

  10. #80
    Guru
    annata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    beneath the bodi tree
    Last Seen
    02-16-17 @ 12:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,163

    Re: US to keep nearly 10k troops in Afghanistan after 2014.

    Quote Originally Posted by braindrain View Post
    I have been to Afghanistan and seen the good work that has been done. Have you.
    I think you might be the one with the propaganda
    respectfully, being there doesn't really help determine long term policy - it's helpful to see what's on the ground, but those conditions change over our 12 years too.

    I'm far too old to volunteer, and while all respect has to be given to anyone who does - doesn't really mean that service can be used to determine our best move collectively

Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •