Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 222

Thread: US to keep nearly 10k troops in Afghanistan after 2014.

  1. #21
    Sage
    Higgins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,253

    Re: US to keep nearly 10k troops in Afghanistan after 2014.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman123 View Post
    They have been helping themselves. More than 12,000 members of the ANA and ANP have been killed fighting the Taliban and defending their country. I hope our continued military presence will do exactly what the link outlines.
    The ANA and the ANP are one thing however the Taliban are still receving help from many people from village elders, afghan government and normal local people. In my opinion the only thing a continued US presence guarantees is that the Taliban will still have a western enemy to target and to use as a recruiting tool in the country.
    ‘This is not peace, it is an armistice for 20 years.’ (Ferdinand Foch. After the Treaty of Versailles, 1919).

  2. #22
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,419

    Re: US to keep nearly 10k troops in Afghanistan after 2014.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    We'll always have an excuse for drone bombing civilians.
    Yes, the US just loves bombing civilians. We can't get enough of it! We gotta keep troops in country so we can keep doing it!!


  3. #23
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,419

    Re: US to keep nearly 10k troops in Afghanistan after 2014.

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    In my opinion the only thing a continued US presence guarantees is that the Taliban will still have a western enemy to target and to use as a recruiting tool in the country.
    Correct, that's the plan... as opposed to them overrunning the democratic government.

    I understand if you don't care about people in Afghanistan, but some of us do.

  4. #24
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In a Blue State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,733

    Re: US to keep nearly 10k troops in Afghanistan after 2014.

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    BBC News - US to keep 9,800 Afghanistan troops after 2014


    If I was an American I would be furious with this. It's going to keep coming out of the tax payers pocket and the servicemen/women over there will remain targets for the foreseeable future.
    Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

    We should have never put boots on the ground.
    We went from sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me to safe spaces.

  5. #25
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: US to keep nearly 10k troops in Afghanistan after 2014.

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    The ANA and the ANP are one thing however the Taliban are still receving help from many people from village elders, afghan government and normal local people. In my opinion the only thing a continued US presence guarantees is that the Taliban will still have a western enemy to target and to use as a recruiting tool in the country.
    This is exactly right. Our continued military interventionism plays right into the hands of the terrorist propaganda machine. It's a shame that people cannot seem to recognize the propaganda and blow back of this system. Yet on their projections and suggestions are we to act. It's stupid, it's damaging, it's obvious. More appeal to ignorance in this country it seems.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  6. #26
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,419

    Re: US to keep nearly 10k troops in Afghanistan after 2014.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Our continued military interventionism plays right into the hands of the terrorist propaganda machine.
    Our withdrawal could result in the overthrow of a democratic government.

    But you're fine with that, ay?

  7. #27
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: US to keep nearly 10k troops in Afghanistan after 2014.

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Yes, the US just loves bombing civilians. We can't get enough of it! We gotta keep troops in country so we can keep doing it!!

    Seems to be the trend. Just gorging ourselves on the death and destruction of our fellow humans. No thought, no intelligence, no plan; just infinity war. Only the sickest of the sick can endorse infinity war.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  8. #28
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,419

    Re: US to keep nearly 10k troops in Afghanistan after 2014.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Seems to be the trend. Just gorging ourselves on the death and destruction of our fellow humans. No thought, no intelligence, no plan; just infinity war.
    What a sick and twisted point of view. It must be some kind of hell to think like that.

    If you honestly believe that, how can you not leave the country and renounce citizenship? If I believed that, I would. I would not accept it and live in such a country. I have standards and a moral conscience. But you still live here. That makes me question whether you actually like that idea.
    Last edited by ecofarm; 05-27-14 at 02:39 PM.

  9. #29
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: US to keep nearly 10k troops in Afghanistan after 2014.

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Our withdrawal could result in the overthrow of a democratic government.

    But you're fine with that, ay?
    Governments obtain their legitimacy through the consent of the governed. If you are not of the governed, you have no proper say. End of story.

    But we could engage in our own propaganda if we were really interested in breaking the cycle. Building roads and schools and hospitals would go a much further way to producing a more Western sympathetic Middle East than blowing up friends and family could ever do.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  10. #30
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,419

    Re: US to keep nearly 10k troops in Afghanistan after 2014.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Governments obtain their legitimacy through the consent of the governed. If you are not of the governed, you have no proper say. End of story.
    That's BS. Who made it up, you?

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •