Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 97

Thread: Judge puts U.S. Rep. Conyers back on primary ballot[W:28]

  1. #71
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,762

    Re: Judge puts U.S. Rep. Conyers back on primary ballot

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    Roberts
    Created the situation where GOP governors can deny citizens Medicaid, as with 76,000 in Georgia just for starters.
    The Robert's court rulings on Citizens Divided 1.0 and 2.0 make Rehnquist look like a liberal.
    And then we have the VRA ruling which has allowed Southern and GOP states to play voter suppression far beyond voter ID.
    This certainly makes Roberts a far-right conservative, though he does worry about his legacy--he should .
    Physics is Phun

  2. #72
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,762

    Re: Judge puts U.S. Rep. Conyers back on primary ballot

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    Is being a consistent conservative a requirement for judges?
    It was in the Senate when the GOP continued to filibuster Obama appointments to the bench.
    Hence, the "nuclear option".

    If the GOP takes the Senate,
    zero appoointees to the bench or anything else will be approved until there is a GOP President or the GOP loses the Senate .
    Last edited by NIMBY; 05-27-14 at 07:30 PM.
    Physics is Phun

  3. #73
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,657

    Re: Judge puts U.S. Rep. Conyers back on primary ballot

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    The reason the judge ruled this way was that there was a decent chance(paraphrasing) that when the court case goes through, the requirement for circulators to be registered voters will be deemed unconstitional under free speech. If that is the case, keeping Conyers off the ballot would be unfair as he would have been unable to run even though the law was unconstitutional. As such, the judge ruled he be added to the ballot. Many stays(which this essentially is) are done for similar reasons: there is a decent chance(note this does not necessarily mean a good chance) he will win in court, and not issuing the stay would clearly harm him. Interestingly, this is almost identical language used as with the stays in several states on rulings against state bans on SSM.

    Now there are several issues in this case I am unclear on, but I do understand the ruling. Not sure I like it (when I get home and can actually look stuff up on computer instead of pain in ass tablet will maybe get a better feel for my opinion on it.
    Even if you add in the 2 circulators, there were still 800 signatures that were disqualified. Right or wrong (and again...unless you are from Michigan and really, a democrat this shouldnt matter) I cant say I would be shocked if there wasnt a little bit of political rhythm from a fed appointed judge for and on behalf of a long standing seated rep. I aint sayin...Im just sayin...

  4. #74
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,657

    Re: Judge puts U.S. Rep. Conyers back on primary ballot[W:28]

    Is no one else repulsed at the notion of an ideologically leaning justice (conservative AND democrat)?

  5. #75
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,095

    Re: Judge puts U.S. Rep. Conyers back on primary ballot

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Your whole reason as to why his ruling was not conservative was based on what you and other judges thought was the right ruling. So to you what conservatism is is based on popularity? Can you at least explain how his ruling violated what you consider conservatism to be?
    Your request to me:

    Name one case that he ruled in a manor at odds with conservatism.


    I assume you meant a "manner" so I gave you an example.

    Research the case they ruled on and read the rulings including the dissenting opinion. I agree with the dissent.

  6. #76
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:22 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,292
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Judge puts U.S. Rep. Conyers back on primary ballot

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Your request to me:

    Name one case that he ruled in a manor at odds with conservatism.


    I assume you meant a "manner" so I gave you an example.

    Research the case they ruled on and read the rulings including the dissenting opinion. I agree with the dissent.
    So that puts us right back to you being the arbitor of what conservatism is. Interesting...
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #77
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:22 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,292
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Judge puts U.S. Rep. Conyers back on primary ballot

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Even if you add in the 2 circulators, there were still 800 signatures that were disqualified. Right or wrong (and again...unless you are from Michigan and really, a democrat this shouldnt matter) I cant say I would be shocked if there wasnt a little bit of political rhythm from a fed appointed judge for and on behalf of a long standing seated rep. I aint sayin...Im just sayin...
    I just scanned the ruling this morning before I left, so I cannot comment accurately on the details. I will try and research it tomorrow and give more complete thoughts.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #78
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,336

    Re: Judge puts U.S. Rep. Conyers back on primary ballot

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    The reason the judge ruled this way was that there was a decent chance(paraphrasing) that when the court case goes through, the requirement for circulators to be registered voters will be deemed unconstitional under free speech. If that is the case, keeping Conyers off the ballot would be unfair as he would have been unable to run even though the law was unconstitutional. As such, the judge ruled he be added to the ballot. Many stays(which this essentially is) are done for similar reasons: there is a decent chance(note this does not necessarily mean a good chance) he will win in court, and not issuing the stay would clearly harm him. Interestingly, this is almost identical language used as with the stays in several states on rulings against state bans on SSM.

    Now there are several issues in this case I am unclear on, but I do understand the ruling. Not sure I like it (when I get home and can actually look stuff up on computer instead of pain in ass tablet will maybe get a better feel for my opinion on it.
    That is not what the good judge claimed as the basis for his ruling. This from the NYT. I believe it is a quote.


    In his ruling on Friday, Judge Matthew F. Leitman of Federal District Court said that the “failure to comply with the registration statute was the result of good-faith mistakes.”

    “They believed they were in compliance with the statute,” the judge wrote.

    Judge didn't even try to come up with a BS excuse.

  9. #79
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:22 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,292
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Judge puts U.S. Rep. Conyers back on primary ballot

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    That is not what the good judge claimed as the basis for his ruling. This from the NYT. I believe it is a quote.


    In his ruling on Friday, Judge Matthew F. Leitman of Federal District Court said that the “failure to comply with the registration statute was the result of good-faith mistakes.”

    “They believed they were in compliance with the statute,” the judge wrote.

    Judge didn't even try to come up with a BS excuse.
    Ah, from the NYT...I got my info from the ruling. Best not to let others interpret.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  10. #80
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,728

    Re: Judge puts U.S. Rep. Conyers back on primary ballot

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Ah, from the NYT...I got my info from the ruling. Best not to let others interpret.
    This decision referenced a similar similar Ohio law which was struck down by a Federal appeals court in 2008. Requiring petition gatherers to be citizens of the state they are petitioning in is unconstitutional. I can agree with that decision, since lots of out of state money goes into state races. If you don't have to be a citizen to attempt to buy an election, you shouldn't have to be a citizen to petition for a candidate. You are both doing essentially the same thing - supporting a candidate, which is a legal activity. In the end, this was nothing more than a political ploy designed to force Conyers off the ballot, and the court called BS on it.

    Article is here.
    Last edited by danarhea; 05-27-14 at 08:45 PM.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •