Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2331323334 LastLast
Results 321 to 330 of 339

Thread: White House mistakenly identifies CIA chief in Afghanistan

  1. #321
    Battle Ready
    Grim17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwestern U.S.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,117
    Blog Entries
    20

    Re: White House mistakenly identifies CIA chief in Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Wilson was drawn in because the VP office wanted a recommendation, they went to Plame because she was the go to for nonproliferation. The Office knew she was CIA and covert.
    She recomended him for the mission.

    LOL..."so?"....so your story, your tale was total bs. She was covert AT THE TIME HARLOW CONFIRMED HER STATUS. Is reading that tough?
    I was wrong... Bad recollection on my part.

    Novak said LOTS of things, all of it to cover his azz. He was told not use her name because she was covert......and Novak should not have been told about her in the first place, but was by design. He was a willing patsy.
    First, Harlow to my knowledge doesn't disagree with what Novak said...Second, you again make accusations that the facts just don't substanciate.

    Which is what I said above, she was the CIA expert on nonproliferation issues, the VP Office sought her.
    Wilson and plame to this day deny that.

    Wrong, it is a criminal act to do it intentionally with malice.
    You and other Bush bashers have contended that malice was precisely the motivation behind it, but of course don't have anything to prove it....

    Here's what it says:

    Whoever, in the course of a pattern of activities intended to identify and expose covert agents and with reason to believe that such activities would impair or impede the foreign intelligence activities of the United States, discloses any information that identifies an individual as a covert agent to any individual not authorized to receive classified information, knowing that the information disclosed so identifies such individual and that the United States is taking affirmative measures to conceal such individual’s classified intelligence relationship to the United States, shall be fined under Title 18 or imprisoned not more than three years, or both.


    The first part is a given, and automatic since before the issue ever happened, everyone already knew that when a covert operatives identity is made public through the news media, the CIA can no longer use that operative for foreign missions. Meaning disclosing such a person's identity who is still employed by the agency automatically impedes "the foreign intelligence activities of the United States". So all that Fitz needed in order to prosecute someone for disclosing her name, was to establish that her covert status was known before hand... Which obviously Fitz could find no evidence of, or anything to indicate such.


    Your premise is in error, no foundation. The documents Armitage read were secret, he knew what that means....and his mea culpa was his out.
    That's false... The documents he read may have been classified, but that does not mean that the people who are mentioned in them are covert operatives who's identities are classified. As Armitage indicated it's standard operating procedure for the CIA to redact the name of an operative in their reports and memos, or clearly indicate their status if one is named. That wasn't the case in the document that Armitage saw. Her name was used and it was not indicated that her identity was classified.

    You just keep revealing how little you know about this, Rove, Libby and Fleischer all told reporters her name in connection to Niger/Wilson, blowing her cover.
    That is correct, but of course it wasn't known at the time that her identity was classified.

    It was orchestrated by the VP Office, Fitz investigated and recognized it...... and stated such. It is completely revealing to admit that it was done intentionally to harm Wilson.....which is the point. You have already been shown that she was covert....BY YOUR OWN CITATION. The CIA believed it was damaging....enough so as to file a criminal referral to the DOJ.
    Here's where you lose me... If that were true, then one or more people would have been charged with the crime of disclosing her name, but of course nobody was... That's because Fitz found no indication to suggest that anyone was ever informed or had knowledge of plames covert status prior to disclosing her identity as the person who got Wilson the CIA mission.

    This is where the facts contradict your accusations. On the other hand, the facts fit rather nicely with what I said, which was:

    Nobody revealed her name to "out" her... it was part of the story and if anything, it was done to both embarrass and discredit Wilson.

  2. #322
    Professor
    JoeTrumps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Memphis
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,565

    Re: White House mistakenly identifies CIA chief in Afghanistan

    Please explain how the Plame "scandal" is WORSE than this current SNAFU by Obama? When that lady was outed she was sitting behind a desk in Virginia; while the guy Obama outed was ON THE FRONT LINES in Afghanistan at the time of the outing.

    Lucky for Obama the media prays to a gold statue of him, otherwise it would be lights out.

  3. #323
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: White House mistakenly identifies CIA chief in Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    ...[/I]
    1. I've looked this quite a bit and I've never seen any indication they knew of her status. I believe if the knew that, they would not have done what they did.

    2. Valerie Plame testified under oath that her boss asked her if Joe Wilson would make the trip and would she email his qualifications. The Right took this as her recommending him ... it wasn't. His trip was almost a year prior to Bush's SOTU address.

    3. According to the transcript of Fitzgerald's press conference when Libby was indicted Valerie Plame status was classified.
    Quote Originally Posted by FITZERALD
    "Valerie Wilson was a CIA officer. In July 2003, the fact that Valerie Wilson was a CIA officer was classified. Not only was it classified, but it was not widely known outside the intelligence community.

    Valerie Wilson's friends, neighbors, college classmates had no idea she had another life."
    4. Fitzgerald's role was not necessarily to prosecute anyone, that may have been the result, but it was more investigative. He wasn't looking for the first person to to leak her identity, he was looking for ALL of the people. The fact that Armitage was first was meaningless to him

    Quote Originally Posted by FITZERALD
    It was known that a CIA officer's identity was blown, it was known that there was a leak. We needed to figure out how that happened, who did it, why, whether a crime was committed, whether we could prove it, whether we should prove it.

    And given that national security was at stake, it was especially important that we find out accurate facts.
    Transcript of Special Counsel Fitzgerald's Press Conference


  4. #324
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: White House mistakenly identifies CIA chief in Afghanistan

    So, lets see. Libs still disseminating false narrative concerning Plame, when according to their standard, Wilson should have been jailed for outing his own wife in Vanity Fair long before this episode.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  5. #325
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: White House mistakenly identifies CIA chief in Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    She recomended him for the mission.
    Your memory betrays you again:

    In March 2007, Plame addressed the question while testifying before the United States House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform: "I did not recommend him. I did not suggest him. There was no nepotism involved. I did not have the authority.... It's been borne out in the testimony during the Libby trial, and I can tell you that it just doesn't square with the facts." She described that in February 2002, while discussing an inquiry from the office of Vice President Cheney about the alleged Iraqi uranium purchases, a colleague who knew of her husband's diplomatic background and previous work with the CIA suggested sending him, and that she agreed to facilitate the discussion between her husband and her superiors despite her own ambivalence about the idea.

    Plame affair - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


    I was wrong... Bad recollection on my part.
    It is a runing theme with you.
    Are you accepting that she was, at the time Novak published, a covert CIA agent?



    First, Harlow to my knowledge doesn't disagree with what Novak said.
    About what, specifically?
    ..Second, you again make accusations that the facts just don't substanciate.
    About what, specifically?



    Wilson and plame to this day deny that.
    In his testimony to the grand jury, Libby testified that both he and Vice President Cheney believed that Joseph Wilson was qualified for the mission, though they wondered if he would have been selected had his wife not worked at the CIA.[37][38]

    Subsequent press accounts reported that "White House officials wanted to know how much of a role she had in selecting him for the assignment."[39]

    In his book, Tenet writes "Mid-level officials in [the CIA’s Counterproliferation Division (CPD)] decided on their own initiative to [ask Joe Wilson to look into the Niger issue because] he'd helped them on a project once before, and he'd be easy to contact because his wife worked in CPD."[40]

    IBID



    You and other Bush bashers...
    Um, Bush was out of the loop, the "bash" is all about the VP's Office:

    It was established at trial that it was Cheney himself who first told Libby about Plame's identity as a CIA agent, in the course of complaining about criticisms of the administration's run-up to war leveled by her husband, former ambassador Joseph Wilson. And, as Fitzgerald notes: "The evidence at trial further established that when the investigation began, Mr. Libby kept the Vice President apprised of his shifting accounts of how he claimed to have learned about Ms. Wilson's CIA employment."

    The investigation, Fitzgerald writes, "was necessary to determine whether there was concerted action by any combination of the officials known to have disclosed the information about Ms. Plame to the media as anonymous sources, and also whether any of those who were involved acted at the direction of others. This was particularly important in light of Mr. Libby's statement to the FBI that he may have discussed Ms. Wilson's employment with reporters at the specific direction of the Vice President."

    Dan Froomkin - Fitzgerald Again Points to Cheney - washingtonpost.com


    That's false... The documents he read may have been classified,
    Um, the MEMO was stamped SECRET on every page.

    Here is the unclassifed, redacted, court released copy:

    http://www.nysun.com/pics/31062_1.php

    See all of the places it is stamped SECRET.
    Maybe Armitage had trouble reading documents, there is a lot of that going around lately too.



    That is correct, but of course it wasn't known at the time that her identity was classified.
    FFS, you just got done reading from HARLOW that he confirmed during his conversations with Novak that she was COVERT.

    WTF? Are you forgetting what I just corrected you about?



    Here's where you lose me... If that were true, then one or more people would have been charged with the crime of disclosing her name, but of course nobody was... That's because Fitz found no indication to suggest that anyone was ever informed or had knowledge of plames covert status prior to disclosing her identity as the person who got Wilson the CIA mission.
    Libby's lies, Fitzgerald wrote, "made impossible an accurate evaluation of the role that Mr. Libby and those with whom he worked played in the disclosure of information regarding Ms. Wilson's CIA employment and about the motivations for their actions."

    Dan Froomkin - Fitzgerald Again Points to Cheney - washingtonpost.com

    This is where the facts contradict your accusations. On the other hand, the facts fit rather nicely with what I said, which was:

    Nobody revealed her name to "out" her... it was part of the story and if anything, it was done to both embarrass and discredit Wilson.
    I still have no idea how you think revealing that she worked at the CIA would be an "embarrassment" to Wilson, he was proud of her career. To reveal her position was an act of malice, just the acknowledging that it was done to "get Joe Wilson" is a recognizing of the fact. I have no idea why you think your saying what you say is supposed to be an excuse.

    Four upper WH employees nearly simultaneously revealing the name of a covert agent to multiple reporters does not happen by accident, especially when you admit it was done intentionally.
    Last edited by Gimmesometruth; 05-28-14 at 11:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  6. #326
    Battle Ready
    Grim17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwestern U.S.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,117
    Blog Entries
    20

    Re: White House mistakenly identifies CIA chief in Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Your memory betrays you again:
    Actually, no it didn't...


    In March 2007, Plame addressed the question while testifying before the United States House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform: "I did not recommend him. I did not suggest him. There was no nepotism involved. I did not have the authority.... It's been borne out in the testimony during the Libby trial, and I can tell you that it just doesn't square with the facts." She described that in February 2002, while discussing an inquiry from the office of Vice President Cheney about the alleged Iraqi uranium purchases, a colleague who knew of her husband's diplomatic background and previous work with the CIA suggested sending him, and that she agreed to facilitate the discussion between her husband and her superiors despite her own ambivalence about the idea.

    Plame affair - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    In 2007, Senator Kit Bond released the entire text of Mrs. Wilson’s February 12, 2002 memo. The memo that led the Senate investigation to conclude that Plame recommended Wilson for the trip. Here is the text of that memo where she referenced a February 5, 2002 CIA intelligence report about Niger, Iraq, and uranium that had been circulating in the previous week:


    Iraq-related Nuclear Report Makes a Splash

    The report forwarded below has prompted me to send this on to you and request your comments and opinion. Briefly, it seems that Niger has signed a contract with Iraq to sell them uranium. The IC [Intelligence Community] is getting spun up about this for obvious reasons. The embassy in Niamey has taken the position that this report can’t be true — they have such cozy relations with the GON [Government of Niger] that they would know if something like this transpired.

    So where do I fit in? As you may recall, [redacted] of CP/[office 2] recently approached my husband to possibly use his contacts in Niger to investigate [a separate Niger matter]. After many fits and starts, [redacted] finally advised that the station wished to pursue this with liaison. My husband is willing to help, if it makes sense, but no problem if not. End of story.

    Now, with this report, it is clear that the IC is still wondering what is going on… my husband has good relations with both the PM and the former minister of mines, not to mention lots of French contacts, both of whom could possibly shed light on this sort of activity. To be frank with you, I was somewhat embarrassed by the agency’s sloppy work last go-round, and I am hesitant to suggest anything again. However, [my husband] may be in a position to assist. Therefore, request your thoughts on what, if anything, to pursue here. Thank you for your time on this
    .




    Are you accepting that she was, at the time Novak published, a covert CIA agent?
    Under the law, yes I believe she was considered to be covert.


    About what, specifically?
    Novak was not told by Harlow her status was covert, or that her identity was classified. He is not allowed to disclose to the public if a person is a covert operative. Secondly, you say it was planned to leak her name to Novak and that he was a patsy. There is absolutely no evidence to support that accusation.


    In his testimony to the grand jury, Libby testified that both he and Vice President Cheney believed that Joseph Wilson was qualified for the mission, though they wondered if he would have been selected had his wife not worked at the CIA.[37][38]

    Subsequent press accounts reported that "White House officials wanted to know how much of a role she had in selecting him for the assignment."[39]

    In his book, Tenet writes "Mid-level officials in [the CIA’s Counterproliferation Division (CPD)] decided on their own initiative to [ask Joe Wilson to look into the Niger issue because] he'd helped them on a project once before, and he'd be easy to contact because his wife worked in CPD."[40]
    Too bad for both you and Tenet, that Plame's memo on February 12, 2002 totally contradicts that.



    It was established at trial that it was Cheney himself who first told Libby about Plame's identity as a CIA agent, in the course of complaining about criticisms of the administration's run-up to war leveled by her husband, former ambassador Joseph Wilson. And, as Fitzgerald notes: "The evidence at trial further established that when the investigation began, Mr. Libby kept the Vice President apprised of his shifting accounts of how he claimed to have learned about Ms. Wilson's CIA employment."

    The investigation, Fitzgerald writes, "was necessary to determine whether there was concerted action by any combination of the officials known to have disclosed the information about Ms. Plame to the media as anonymous sources, and also whether any of those who were involved acted at the direction of others. This was particularly important in light of Mr. Libby's statement to the FBI that he may have discussed Ms. Wilson's employment with reporters at the specific direction of the Vice President."
    That's fine and dandy, but what Fitz couldn't establish was that anyone in the Administration was informed in any way that Plame was a covert operative, or that he identity was classified.




    Um, the MEMO was stamped SECRET on every page.

    Here is the unclassifed, redacted, court released copy:

    http://www.nysun.com/pics/31062_1.php

    See all of the places it is stamped SECRET.
    Maybe Armitage had trouble reading documents, there is a lot of that going around lately too.
    I never said the memo wasn't secret... I said that just because it was classified, does not make the identity of the people mentioned in it classified... In fact, here is a screen shot of the memo mentioning plame from your link.

    Pay real close attention to what I highlighted in yellow:

    plame.jpg

    You see what I mean?

    Even the CIA memo sent to the State Department describer her as a "CIA WMD managerial type" and did NOT say she was a covert operative.

    (continued below)

  7. #327
    Battle Ready
    Grim17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwestern U.S.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,117
    Blog Entries
    20

    Re: White House mistakenly identifies CIA chief in Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth
    FFS, you just got done reading from HARLOW that he confirmed during his conversations with Novak that she was COVERT.

    WTF? Are you forgetting what I just corrected you about?
    Sorry, but Harlow did not tell Novak that. He said that he could mention in his article the thing about her recommending Wilson, but that he shouldn't use her name. According to Novak Harlow said not to use it because it could be an issue if she traveled abroad, but he never said her identity was classified, or indicated in any way that doing so would be dangerous... which is why he went ahead and used it anyway.

    What you fail to grasp here is, that if Harlow had told him she was a covert operative and her identity was classified, a) Harlow would have been in big trouble for leaking that information, and b) Robert Novak would have been indicted because he would have violated the law for knowingly disclosing her name in his article.




    Libby's lies, Fitzgerald wrote, "made impossible an accurate evaluation of the role that Mr. Libby and those with whom he worked played in the disclosure of information regarding Ms. Wilson's CIA employment and about the motivations for their actions."

    Dan Froomkin - Fitzgerald Again Points to Cheney - washingtonpost.com
    Now you've found the "cover your butt" portion of this issue... Fitz spent nearly 2 years and untold millions of tax payer dollars on a witch hunt that turned out to be, as Dana Perino said yesterday, a "nothing burger". There was no way he could pronounce publicly that all that time and all those millions of dollars were for nothing and that nobody had violated the law... He used Libby as an excuse, a scape goat, which is why he indicted him in the first place.

    I still have no idea how you think revealing that she worked at the CIA would be an "embarrassment" to Wilson, he was proud of her career. To reveal her position was an act of malice, just the acknowledging that it was done to "get Joe Wilson" is a recognizing of the fact. I have no idea why you think your saying what you say is supposed to be an excuse.
    So they could say "This guy isn't a covert agent and he doesn't even work for the CIA... The only reason they sent someone so unqualified was because his wife, who works at the CIA in Langley, pulled some strings to get him the job,"

    Yes, I exaggerated it, just as I'm sure the Bush Administration wanted it to be... It's called "Politics".

    Four upper WH employees nearly simultaneously revealing the name of a covert agent to multiple reporters does not happen by accident, especially when you admit it was done intentionally.
    I think there's a good chance it was done by design (that's speculation), but they had no idea that her identity was classified or that she was a cover agent... As far as they knew, she worked at a desk in Langley, just as the "secret" memo that was sent to the Administration that you alluded to above.

    There was no crime, because nobody was ever informed of her status... Why is that so hard for you to understand?

  8. #328
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: White House mistakenly identifies CIA chief in Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    Novak was not told by Harlow her status was covert, or that her identity was classified.
    Harlow, the former CIA spokesman, said in an interview yesterday that he testified last year before a grand jury about conversations he had with Novak at least three days before the column was published. He said he warned Novak, in the strongest terms he was permitted to use without revealing classified information, that Wilsonís wife had not authorized the mission and that if he did write about it, her name should not be revealed.
    Harlow said that after Novakís call, he checked Plameís status and confirmed that she was an undercover operative. He said he called Novak back to repeat that the story Novak had related to him was wrong and that Plameís name should not be used.


    Secondly, you say it was planned to leak her name to Novak and that he was a patsy. There is absolutely no evidence to support that accusation.
    Anyone with half a brain can see that, Novak was used as a patsy




    Too bad for both you and Tenet, that Plame's memo on February 12, 2002 totally contradicts that.
    I am still waiting for how this has any significance.





    That's fine and dandy, but what Fitz couldn't establish was that anyone in the Administration was informed in any way that Plame was a covert operative, or that he identity was classified.

    I never said the memo wasn't secret... I said that just because it was classified, does not make the identity of the people mentioned in it classified...
    The term classified information means information or material designated and clearly marked or clearly represented, pursuant to the provisions of a statute or Executive order (or a regulation or order issued pursuant to a statute or Executive order), as requiring a specific degree of protection against unauthorized disclosure for reasons of national security.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  9. #329
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: White House mistakenly identifies CIA chief in Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    Sorry, but Harlow did not tell Novak that. He said that he could mention in his article the thing about her recommending Wilson, but that he shouldn't use her name.
    You make no sense, mentioning her....would be disclosing, identifying her...Plame.

    Harlow, the former CIA spokesman, said in an interview yesterday that he testified last year before a grand jury about conversations he had with Novak at least three days before the column was published. He said he warned Novak, in the strongest terms he was permitted to use without revealing classified information, that Wilson’s wife had not authorized the mission and that if he did write about it, her name should not be revealed.
    Harlow said that after Novak’s call, he checked Plame’s status and confirmed that she was an undercover operative. He said he called Novak back to repeat that the story Novak had related to him was wrong and that Plame’s name should not be used.



    What you fail to grasp here is, that if Harlow had told him she was a covert operative and her identity was classified, a) Harlow would have been in big trouble for leaking that information, and b) Robert Novak would have been indicted because he would have violated the law for knowingly disclosing her name in his article.
    He did disclose her name, he was not prosecuted because he turned states evidence.





    Now you've found the "cover your butt" portion of this issue... Fitz spent nearly 2 years and untold millions of tax payer dollars on a witch hunt that turned out to be, as Dana Perino said yesterday, a "nothing burger". There was no way he could pronounce publicly that all that time and all those millions of dollars were for nothing and that nobody had violated the law... He used Libby as an excuse, a scape goat, which is why he indicted him in the first place.
    Libby lied under oath, he was dead meat.



    So they could say "This guy isn't a covert agent and he doesn't even work for the CIA... The only reason they sent someone so unqualified was because his wife, who works at the CIA in Langley, pulled some strings to get him the job,"

    Yes, I exaggerated it, just as I'm sure the Bush Administration wanted it to be... It's called "Politics".
    There is no point there, the VP said Wilson was qualified. The point still is you admitted they went after his wife to hurt him.



    I think there's a good chance it was done by design (that's speculation), but they had no idea that her identity was classified or that she was a cover agent... As far as they knew, she worked at a desk in Langley, just as the "secret" memo that was sent to the Administration that you alluded to above.There was no crime, because nobody was ever informed of her status... Why is that so hard for you to understand?
    Now you are trying to argue that a document labeled SECRET is not secret, that these top level officials did not understand what SECRET means, that they suddenly became unaware of the implications of USC 426.

    I think it is completely stretching the bonds of rationality to say that a CIA pr guy can find out with one call that she was covert.....but yet this escaped members of Cheney's office.

    You can believe that fairy tale if you like....and.....you do.

    You can play it that way if you like, but it is baseless.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  10. #330
    Battle Ready
    Grim17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwestern U.S.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,117
    Blog Entries
    20

    Re: White House mistakenly identifies CIA chief in Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Harlow, the former CIA spokesman, said in an interview yesterday that he testified last year before a grand jury about conversations he had with Novak at least three days before the column was published. He said he warned Novak, in the strongest terms he was permitted to use without revealing classified information, that Wilson’s wife had not authorized the mission and that if he did write about it, her name should not be revealed.
    Harlow said that after Novak’s call, he checked Plame’s status and confirmed that she was an undercover operative. He said he called Novak back to repeat that the story Novak had related to him was wrong and that Plame’s name should not be used.
    1. He didn't tell him that her identity was classified, just that he shouldn't use it because it might cause problems for her if she ever chose to travel abroad.
    2. He was not allowed to reveal to Novak that she was a covert agent who's identity was classified, or he would have been breaking the law himself.
    3. He never told him he couldn't use her name, he just suggested that he shouldn't
    4. Novak made it clear that Harlow gave no indication that revealing her name might put her in danger, otherwise he said he would have never printed it.


    Anyone with half a brain can see that, Novak was used as a patsy
    Translated:"To hell with the evidence, to hell with the testimony and to hell with the known facts... I hate republicans and I say it was a plot to destroy her career, destroy her life, and put her in danger of physical harm DAMMIT!!"




    I am still waiting for how this has any significance
    .

    You are the one who asserted that I had a lapse in memory and that she didn't suggest her husband for the mission... I was just proving to you my memory on that was just fine and it was you who was in error.







    The term classified information means information or material designated and clearly marked or clearly represented, pursuant to the provisions of a statute or Executive order (or a regulation or order issued pursuant to a statute or Executive order), as requiring a specific degree of protection against unauthorized disclosure for reasons of national security.

    You are wrong... Dead wrong...

    A "classified" or "secret" document means that the subject matter being described or discussed in the document is classified, not the names within it unless noted... Using your logic, If that memo mentioned President Obama's name, that would mean that his identity is classified also. lol

    As Armitage said, in all his years in Washington he has never known the CIA to ever print the name of covert agent on any memo or document. They always redact the name of covert agents if it's a copy of an archive document, and in the case of a memo like the one Armitage saw, (that you were so kind to link to) they either use a code name for them, or if it's an instance where the agents name is relevant, they specify that the agents name is classified and not to be disclosed to anyone without the proper security clearance.

    Sorry man, but that line of bull your selling just doesn't hold water.

    Nobody was indicted because nobody knew, so there was no crime and no conspiricy... In other words, Fitz served up a 2 and a half year, multi-million dollar "nothing burger"... Wasn't it delicious?

Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2331323334 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •