Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 52

Thread: China and Russia Best Frenemies

  1. #31
    Bohemian Revolutionary
    Demon of Light's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    03-07-17 @ 12:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,095

    Re: China and Russia Best Frenemies

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Yes actually.
    Facedesk.jpg
    "For what is Evil but Good-tortured by its own hunger and thirst?"
    - Khalil Gibran

  2. #32
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: China and Russia Best Frenemies

    Quote Originally Posted by Demon of Light View Post
    Why do you think otherwise?

    The rest of Asia is moving to contain China whether or not they admit it. Cooperation on defense, sharing intelligence, the reduction of their own tensions over fishing/hydrocarbon resources, it's classic containment. They'll still work economically with China, but their military and spending actions are very much Cold War containment. Vietnam was formerly a strong ally of China, but that's no longer the case. And the fights between the countries over territory have died down massively now that they all see China's less than peaceful rise and realize "well ****, we probably should deal with that together."

    Give me a reason why you don't think containment is happening.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  3. #33
    Bohemian Revolutionary
    Demon of Light's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    03-07-17 @ 12:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,095

    Re: China and Russia Best Frenemies

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    They'll still work economically with China
    "For what is Evil but Good-tortured by its own hunger and thirst?"
    - Khalil Gibran

  4. #34
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,354

    Re: China and Russia Best Frenemies

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Such as....?
    Ukraine?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  5. #35
    Sage
    Higgins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,249

    Re: China and Russia Best Frenemies

    It's not only Russia that China are investing in.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/18/bu...anted=all&_r=0

    Easing visas aims to help China buy into Brand Britain - ITV News

    China buys into UK student housing - FT.com


    Slowly but surely the US is being replaced as the worlds no1 superpower.
    ‘This is not peace, it is an armistice for 20 years.’ (Ferdinand Foch. After the Treaty of Versailles, 1919).

  6. #36
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: China and Russia Best Frenemies

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    It's not only Russia that China are investing in.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/18/bu...anted=all&_r=0

    Easing visas aims to help China buy into Brand Britain - ITV News

    China buys into UK student housing - FT.com

    Slowly but surely the US is being replaced as the worlds no1 superpower.
    And what say you? Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

    I know many complained when the US was 'the world's policeman', including Americans, but where does this leave the democracies? The Chinese are certainly into Africa and Central America, with Russia joining them as well, and those links of yours are interesting also. Where would Islamism fit into all of this?

  7. #37
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: China and Russia Best Frenemies

    Quote Originally Posted by Demon of Light View Post
    So? How does that disprove containment? The US traded with the Soviet Union despite having a policy of containment. We move to isolate the Soviets every chance we got. Merely because we sold them millions of tons of grain does not mean that policy of political isolationism and containment did not happen.

    You're going to have to do significantly better than that.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  8. #38
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: China and Russia Best Frenemies

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Ukraine?
    The issue with the 1990s pact with Ukraine is there is no enforcement mechanism. You do realize however, you are classifying the failure to defend Ukraine as the same thing as an illegal occupation and invasion?

    It's amazing just how little you care about appearing to be even remotely balanced.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  9. #39
    Bohemian Revolutionary
    Demon of Light's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    03-07-17 @ 12:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,095

    Re: China and Russia Best Frenemies

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    So? How does that disprove containment? The US traded with the Soviet Union despite having a policy of containment. We move to isolate the Soviets every chance we got. Merely because we sold them millions of tons of grain does not mean that policy of political isolationism and containment did not happen.

    You're going to have to do significantly better than that.
    Isolate | Define Isolate at Dictionary.com

    Contain | Define Contain at Dictionary.com
    "For what is Evil but Good-tortured by its own hunger and thirst?"
    - Khalil Gibran

  10. #40
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,354

    Re: China and Russia Best Frenemies

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    The issue with the 1990s pact with Ukraine is there is no enforcement mechanism. You do realize however, you are classifying the failure to defend Ukraine as the same thing as an illegal occupation and invasion?

    It's amazing just how little you care about appearing to be even remotely balanced.
    Thanks for aknowledging the fact that our government also ignored, like a pompus prick, treaties signed by a previous government.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •