Page 83 of 89 FirstFirst ... 33738182838485 ... LastLast
Results 821 to 830 of 882

Thread: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

  1. #821
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,119

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    The tactics used by pro-Prop 8 campaigners were not merely homophobic. They were laser-focused to exploit Californians’ deepest and most irrational fears about gay people, indoctrinating an entire state with cruelly anti-gay propaganda. Early on, Prop 8’s supporters decided to focus their campaign primarily on children, stoking parents’ fears about gay people brainwashing their kids with pro-gay messages or, implicitly, turning their children gay.

    video

    Another notorious commercial shows an earnest school administrator fretting that a “new health curriculum” that mentions gay marriage will “mess up” children with reference to “gay attraction.”

    video

    And Prop 8 supporters quickly zeroed in on the terrifying possibility that religious adoption agencies “may be forced to place children in same-sex marriages.”

    video

    In perhaps the most insulting ad, two gay fathers are quizzed about marriage and reproduction by their daughter; the takeaway, of course, is that this faux-family is twisting the mind and morals of their child with perverse ideas about marriage and love.

    video

    This message of belittlement cut across pretty much every pro-Prop 8 ad—ads that ran incessantly in the state for months. The campaign’s strategy was to debase gay families as deviant and unhealthy while insinuating that gay people are engaged in a full-scale campaign to convert children to their cause. This strategy worked. And it worked because wealthy donors like Brendan Eich flooded the campaign with the money it needed to run ads like the like the one featuring the Pepperdine professor's grave warning.* Eich wasn’t just a casual opponent of marriage equality. He was a major contributor to the most vitriolic anti-gay campaign in American history, one that set the standard of homophobic propaganda that continues to this day. When we talk about Eich’s anti-gay stance, we aren’t just talking about abstract beliefs. We’re talking about concrete actions that harmed thousands of gay families and informed innumerable gay Americans that they were sinful, corrupted predators.[/INDENT]

    Brendan Eich supported Prop 8, which was worse than you remember.
    A blog isn't data.

  2. #822
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    I assumed you were gay, and you told me that was an insult. End of story.
    No, you tried to use an accusation of homosexuality as a weapon, it isn't the first time, it won't be the last, we have all seen it before. It backfired, you have shown yourself for what you are.

    But don't stop, continue....it is all you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  3. #823
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,119

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    No, you tried to use an accusation of homosexuality as a weapon, it isn't the first time, it won't be the last, we have all seen it before. It backfired, you have shown yourself for what you are.

    But don't stop, continue....it is all you know.
    I assumed you were gay and said so. You said that was an insult. The posts are right here. Using "we"? Who is "we"? I never had anyone else on this board say being acknowledged as gay is an "insult".

    You did.

    You think it's an insult to be labeled "gay" and you said so.

    No "we" here, son. Own your words and move on.

  4. #824
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Ceist View Post
    I would say it was more because of the dirty 'smear and fear' ad campaigns vilifying gay and lesbian people.
    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    If there is some data out there supporting this, I'd love to see it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    The tactics used by pro-Prop 8 campaigners were not merely homophobic. They were laser-focused to exploit Californians’ deepest and most irrational fears about gay people, indoctrinating an entire state with cruelly anti-gay propaganda. Early on, Prop 8’s supporters decided to focus their campaign primarily on children, stoking parents’ fears about gay people brainwashing their kids with pro-gay messages or, implicitly, turning their children gay.

    video

    Another notorious commercial shows an earnest school administrator fretting that a “new health curriculum” that mentions gay marriage will “mess up” children with reference to “gay attraction.”

    video

    And Prop 8 supporters quickly zeroed in on the terrifying possibility that religious adoption agencies “may be forced to place children in same-sex marriages.”

    video

    In perhaps the most insulting ad, two gay fathers are quizzed about marriage and reproduction by their daughter; the takeaway, of course, is that this faux-family is twisting the mind and morals of their child with perverse ideas about marriage and love.

    video

    This message of belittlement cut across pretty much every pro-Prop 8 ad—ads that ran incessantly in the state for months. The campaign’s strategy was to debase gay families as deviant and unhealthy while insinuating that gay people are engaged in a full-scale campaign to convert children to their cause. This strategy worked. And it worked because wealthy donors like Brendan Eich flooded the campaign with the money it needed to run ads like the like the one featuring the Pepperdine professor's grave warning.* Eich wasn’t just a casual opponent of marriage equality. He was a major contributor to the most vitriolic anti-gay campaign in American history, one that set the standard of homophobic propaganda that continues to this day. When we talk about Eich’s anti-gay stance, we aren’t just talking about abstract beliefs. We’re talking about concrete actions that harmed thousands of gay families and informed innumerable gay Americans that they were sinful, corrupted predators.[/INDENT]

    Brendan Eich supported Prop 8, which was worse than you remember.
    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    A blog isn't data.
    Videos produced by Prop 8 supporters that ran in CA before the vote showing their homophobic propaganda....is not information (data) that the supporters were using such propaganda to influence the vote?

    Are you going to argue that it did not in any sense influence the vote for Prop 8?
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  5. #825
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,119

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Videos produced by Prop 8 supporters that ran in CA before the vote showing their homophobic propaganda....is not information (data) that the supporters were using such propaganda to influence the vote?

    Are you going to argue that it did not in any sense influence the vote for Prop 8?
    I'd like to see some data to back up the claim that the people voted because of propoganda and not their own religious views.

  6. #826
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    I assumed you were gay and said so.
    I know that is what you claimed, but it is a lie, since as I said, you are always trying to insult, and using an accusation of homosexuality is used as an insult by folks like you.
    You said that was an insult.
    Yup, because people who are desperate to score points use accusations of homosexuality to insult, which is what you did.
    The posts are right here. Using "we"? Who is "we"? I never had anyone else on this board say being acknowledged as gay is an "insult".
    There you are again, you have nothing to "acknowledge", because you had no knowledge to begin with, your excuse is "assume", not knowledge. You once again, contradict yourself.

    You did.You think it's an insult to be labeled "gay" and you said so.No "we" here, son. Own your words and move on.
    I'll remind you, I'm older and wiser, you have simply further exposed your true nature.

    It is time to end the personal crap and get back to the op.....check yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  7. #827
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,119

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    I know that is what you claimed, but it is a lie, since as I said, you are always trying to insult, and using an accusation of homosexuality is used as an insult by folks like you.Yup, because people who are desperate to score points use accusations of homosexuality to insult, which is what you did.There you are again, you have nothing to "acknowledge", because you had no knowledge to begin with, your excuse is "assume", not knowledge. You once again, contradict yourself.


    I'll remind you, I'm older and wiser, you have simply further exposed your true nature.

    It is time to end the personal crap and get back to the op.....check yourself.
    You said it was insulting to be thought to be gay. Your posts are right there.

    ETA I never insulted anyone in any of my posts in this thread, including you.

  8. #828
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    I'd like to see some data to back up the claim that the people voted because of propoganda and not their own religious views.
    Is there a difference? Christian scripture has been used to vilify homosexuals, the propaganda has existed for centuries. The campaign ads fed on those built in biases with further homophobic propaganda, so I have no idea how you could separate pre-existing biases from "new" biases.

    The give away is that prop 8 would not pass now, and CA voters have not changed their religious views.
    Last edited by Gimmesometruth; 05-24-14 at 12:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  9. #829
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    You said it was insulting to be thought to be gay.
    No, I said folks like you taht are desperate to score points, to insult, use the accusation of homosexuality as a slur, an insult.
    Your posts are right there.
    I know where they are, and I know what you are trying to do, and yours have backfired on you.

    ETA I never insulted anyone in any of my posts in this thread, including you.
    Of course you say this, but it is not true.

    You can give it a rest now, the damage is done and you are jut going to get in trouble if you continue on withe the person crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  10. #830
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,119

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Is there a difference? Christian scripture has been used to vilify homosexuals, the propaganda has existed for centuries. The campaign ads fed on those built in biases with further homophobic propaganda, so I have know idea how you could separate pre-existing biases from "new" biases.

    The give away is that prop 8 would not pass now, and CA voters have not changed their religious views.
    Sure there's a difference. Negative ads are shown all of the time. Most people are smart enough to ignore them as propoganda.

    If these people were astute enough to go to the polls and case votes, they probably knew enough about the subject to cast votes based on what worked for them. The data I've seen said they voted for Prop 8 because of their time spent in church. Some were older and hold the very common view that marriage is between a man and a woman, because that's all there ever was in their lifetimes.

    Blaming it on the ads run is simply a copout and not acknowledging the truth.

    Last poll I saw said 55% of Americans are in favor of SSM. That isn't a spectacularly high number of people. Do 45% of the people still oppose it because of any particular ads running today, and if so, where are these ads being run?

Page 83 of 89 FirstFirst ... 33738182838485 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •