Page 79 of 89 FirstFirst ... 29697778798081 ... LastLast
Results 781 to 790 of 882

Thread: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

  1. #781
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    In their minds, that's exactly what they were doing.

    The ones in CA who voted for Prop 8 were mostly religious people, based on the exit polls. Apparently it was their religion that caused them to vote as they did. I would need to see some evidence that their votes were based on an intent to ignore individual liberties.
    And in the minds of those who would vote to kill anyone proclaiming to be a witch or even homosexual, or to stone to death adulterers or rape victims who didn't scream loud enough when in a city, they could easily see these things as "voting to express their religious beliefs". Those are all religious beliefs I can find in just the Bible. And there are plenty of people out there who take all parts of the Bible seriously, as the absolute word of God, none of it to be ignored or even considered "obsolete". Get enough of these people together in one place, and you can have votes that do these things. That is why we are not governed mainly by direct democracy, but rather by a constitutional republic. The most important part being the constitution part, because that is what protects people from being subject to the whim/vote of the majority in way that can harm them or at least cause them hardship or to be treated unfairly within the law (which goes against the main principles of at least the US Constitution).
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  2. #782
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    I've never voted to ban marriage but it seems pretty obvious that the end result of a ban on gay marriage means that they can't get a marriage license and have their unions recognized as a marriage.

    You can't ban prayer because you don't need the government's approval to pray in your shower.
    You can ban prayer the same way that you can ban things like sodomy, enforcement when discovered. Even if you only pray in your shower, you can get caught. It would be very difficult to enforce, particularly if that is the only thing you are going after a person for, but not impossible.

    For instance, in Mapp v. Ohio, Mapp was arrested and convicted of possessing "obscene" material (basically pornography) that was found in her house during an illegal search. The case actually was a landmark decision that established that evidence obtained illegally cannot be used against people. But, I am using it to show that plenty of things can be outlawed, even if they are in your home.

    Mapp v. Ohio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    The reason we don't need the government's approval to pray in our showers, or anywhere else for that matter on an individual basis, is because of the US Constitution and enforcement of that Constitution by the SCOTUS.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  3. #783
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    Ah.

    Missed that.

    Maybe he's NOT against it then. Wonder if he'll get re-elected?
    Nah, continues to claim it's "against his personal views" (with any politician, god knows where the truth lies) but doesn't want to waste more state funds defending unconstitutional law that has no chance of winning. That's his way out

    If anything, asshole governors like snyder in michigan should be voted out after the massive (geographic wise) state is *last* in spending on roads - so bad some bridges have been declared by engineers to be irreparable - yet he throws away state $ appealing the court's ruling to throw out an illegal law that affects its supporters in no way whatsoever.

  4. #784
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Correct, short of following people into their bedrooms. That didn't work so well, did it?
    Actually, it worked against at least some people. Had Lawrence and Garner not appealed their case all the way up to the SCOTUS, they would have been considered criminals, just as Bowers was for violating state laws against sodomy. In fact, many people have a criminal record just from charges of sodomy prior to 2003.

    Lawrence v. Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Bowers v. Hardwick - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Bowers actually found such laws to be constitutional, showing that they were in fact enforceable and were even being enforced, at least against some people.

    Heck, the only thing it took in the Lawrence case to make the discovery was a ticked off lover/boyfriend/whatever (even a neighbor could do it) to call and report a "suspicious" person or some crime they claim happened and that would be more than enough for the police to act on, even to enter the house and be able to use any evidence of other crimes being committed within that house against someone. It is known as the "good faith exception" within the law. If the police don't/didn't know that the person reporting a crime were lying, then they are within their right to act and to use evidence found in that act.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  5. #785
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    That's what I posted.

    if they are proven to be unconstitutional, they end up getting overturned.
    Proven?

    A few pages ago you labeled Judge Walkers decision as "just an opinion", denigrating it.

    Suddenly, now....such things are "proof"!

    That is some consistency....not a contradiction....in terms....at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  6. #786
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,153

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Proven?

    A few pages ago you labeled Judge Walkers decision as "just an opinion", denigrating it.

    Suddenly, now....such things are "proof"!

    That is some consistency....not a contradiction....in terms....at all.
    The good news is with any luck the SCOTUS will agree with you & me, and SSM will be made legal throughout this country, and then you will be cleared to marry your boyfriend in whatever state in the southwest you live in. I will be very happy for you when that happens, gimme, because I think every adult should be able to marry whomever he chooses.

  7. #787
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    The good news is with any luck the SCOTUS will agree with you & me, and SSM will be made legal throughout this country, and then you will be cleared to marry your boyfriend in whatever state in the southwest you live in. I will be very happy for you when that happens, gimme, because I think every adult should be able to marry whomever he chooses.
    There you are, using homosexuality as an insult (and you are, since the vast majority of your posts to me are attempts to insult).

    And this comes as a result of simply pointing out, once again, a contradiction of yours.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  8. #788
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,153

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    There you are, using homosexuality as an insult (and you are, since the vast majority of your posts to me are attempts to insult).

    And this comes as a result of simply pointing out, once again, a contradiction of yours.
    I know a few gay people and they aren't insulted when discussing their preference of same sex versus opposite sex. You're insulted when people assume you're gay? Interesting.

    Have you got some friends to go out with tonight so you can get your mind off me for a little while? I worry about you. But my husband and I have plans tonight and I can't give you all my attention for much longer.

  9. #789
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    I know a few gay people and they aren't insulted when discussing their preference of same sex versus opposite sex. You're insulted when people assume you're gay? Interesting.
    No, I said you attempted to insult by labeling someone as homosexual. The application of the label towards someone who has not expressed their orientation is usually done to insult....and again, your posts to me are 100% meant to insult, it is not in your nature to compliment me.....so yes, it is a clear attempt to smear. It is High School chit, and it is so weird seeing someone nearly the same age as me, who claims to have gay friends, who claims to be pro-SSM, act like this.

    Have you got some friends to go out with tonight so you can get your mind off me for a little while? I worry about you. But my husband and I have plans tonight and I can't give you all my attention for much longer.
    Again, everything is personal for you, you can't stay focused on the point, your ARGUMENT......instead, it is personal.....so you try to use homosexuality as an insult, you make this about "obsession".....you get all defensive....in the wrong way.....because you cannot defend your ARGUMENT.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  10. #790
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,153

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    No, I said you attempted to insult by labeling someone as homosexual. The application of the label towards someone who has not expressed their orientation is usually done to insult....and again, your posts to me are 100% meant to insult, it is not in your nature to compliment me.....so yes, it is a clear attempt to smear. It is High School chit, and it is so weird seeing someone nearly the same age as me, who claims to have gay friends, who claims to be pro-SSM, act like this.


    Again, everything is personal for you, you can't stay focused on the point, your ARGUMENT......instead, it is personal.....so you try to use homosexuality as an insult, you make this about "obsession".....you get all defensive....in the wrong way.....because you cannot defend your ARGUMENT.
    Wow. You just insulted a whole lot of gay people by telling them that acknowledging their lifestyle is now an insult.

    Grab that beer quick. You need it.

Page 79 of 89 FirstFirst ... 29697778798081 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •