Page 76 of 89 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886 ... LastLast
Results 751 to 760 of 882

Thread: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

  1. #751
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Two faced means I wasn't being honest. I was.
    I am questioning your honesty.....since your statements contradict.

    A marriage license is a piece of paper giving legality to a union.
    It is a civil contract, not a "prayer".


    I never in my 50+ years on this Earth have known anyone who got married and when asked why they were getting married, gave "The Consitutional allowed me to get married" as their reason for marrying.
    Straw, no one said they did.


    I married my husband because I fell in love with him and wanted to spend my life with him, not because we were Consitutionally allowed to marry or because we could enter into a civil contract.
    But...you did get your marriage recognized by the state.....to gain legal protection for your union.

    Why do I fascinate you so much?
    I keep telling, your contradictions are hilarious.
    Last edited by Gimmesometruth; 05-23-14 at 01:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  2. #752
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    I am questioning your honesty.....since your statements contradict.

    A marriage license is a piece of paper giving legality to a union. I never in my 50+ years on this Earth have known anyone who got married and when asked why they were getting married, gave "The Consitutional allowed me to get married" as their reason for marrying. I married my husband because I fell in love with him and wanted to spend my life with him, not because we were Consitutionally allowed to marry or because we could enter into a civil contract.

    Why do I fascinate you so much?
    Hey, whatever floats your boat. I don't have enough time on my hands and my life is too busy to try to get people who agree with me to argue with me at the same time.

    I hope you have a great Memorial Day weekend with your loved ones.

  3. #753
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Amandi View Post
    That is your opinion.
    No, I am quoting and paraphrasing her comments....that is a fact...not opinion. Reducing civil contracts and the concepts behind them to "pieces of paper" is not a path to supporting SSM.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  4. #754
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    30,001

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    You can't police praying in the shower.

    You can police murder. It involves a victim.
    They couldnt police old sodomy laws either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  5. #755
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    They couldnt police old sodomy laws either.
    Correct, short of following people into their bedrooms. That didn't work so well, did it?

  6. #756
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Amandi View Post
    That is your opinion. Mine is as long as she would vote for SSM she is supporting it. That is all legal mariage is to me too, a piece of paper that grants the couple to handle some legal matters as one person. Also, a person could support same sex marriage and still think it isnt a constitutional issue. People have different opinions and you wont change them by accusing them of doing things or calling them names.
    Apparently with some posters, you're only allowed to have an opinion that mirrors their opinion if the reasons for your opinion are exactly the same as the reason for their opinion.

    I'll have to try that in my real life and see how it works. If my husband & I are selecting draperies and we both agree to buy the purple drapes, and my reason is because they look good with the wall color but his reason is because they are a mix of his favorite colors red & blue, I need to argue with him anyway.

  7. #757
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    30,001

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Correct, short of following people into their bedrooms. That didn't work so well, did it?
    DIdnt stop them from making the laws...something absolutely intrusive and no business of the govt or other people.

    Yet an organization in the state could legally get enough sigs on a petition and get it on a ballot. (very possible).

    Then people of the state could vote on it. My understanding of your position on this is that if the people decided to vote sodomy was illegal, then that would become the law (enforceable or not).

    Or use sugar as another example. What if an organization got enough sigs on a petition to make it illegal to sell candy, period. (Not all that remote, look at sugary drink size in NYC). If the majority of voters voted to outlaw candy....is that right? Do they have the right to make that choice for everyone in the city or state?


    I'm not asking you to agree...I'm asking you to explain it from your perspective of an American and free will and personal liberty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  8. #758
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    DIdnt stop them from making the laws...something absolutely intrusive and no business of the govt or other people.

    Yet an organization in the state could legally get enough sigs on a petition and get it on a ballot. (very possible).

    Then people of the state could vote on it. My understanding of your position on this is that if the people decided to vote sodomy was illegal, then that would become the law (enforceable or not).

    Or use sugar as another example. What if an organization got enough sigs on a petition to make it illegal to sell candy, period. (Not all that remote, look at sugary drink size in NYC). If the majority of voters voted to outlaw candy....is that right? Do they have the right to make that choice for everyone in the city or state?
    We used to have laws on the books that allowed slavery, prohibited women from voting, and prohibited grown ups from drinking alcohol too. We had a lot of crazy laws on the books at one time. I take an optimistic look at life and assume we're past those kinds of laws, and when they do come up, and get voted on, if they are proven to be unconstitutional, they end up getting overturned.

    These days it's a lot harder to get things on ballots unless they are deemed by some people to be Constitutional. Even Consitutional scholars disagree on what's Constitutional and what isn't.

    The only way to prevent it is to remove people's rights to vote, and I won't ever support that idea.

  9. #759
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    30,001

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    We used to have laws on the books that allowed slavery, prohibited women from voting, and prohibited grown ups from drinking alcohol too. We had a lot of crazy laws on the books at one time. I take an optimistic look at life and assume we're past those kinds of laws, and when they do come up, and get voted on, if they are proven to be unconstitutional, they end up getting overturned.

    These days it's a lot harder to get things on ballots unless they are deemed by some people to be Constitutional. Even Consitutional scholars disagree on what's Constitutional and what isn't.

    The only way to prevent it is to remove people's rights to vote, and I won't ever support that idea.

    No that is what some of us are trying to convey....at the state or city level, things do not have to meet the Constitutional bar. "Anything not in the Const. is left up to the states.'

    At the state level, if voters wish to pass legislation that infringes on other people's rights, the STATE needs to show that the legislation is in the best interests of the state...and that *does not mean if the majority wants it.* If people want to vote to outlaw candy and the state doesnt see that it's in the best interests of the state (no good reason for it)....then it does not allow that to go to voters because it enables a majority to infringe unnecessarily on a personal liberty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  10. #760
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    All judges IMO are "activist" in a way because they're all human and all see things differently. They can't even agree on the interpretation of the Constitution. There will always be rulings we as individuals agree with, and then those we don't agree with.
    Granted, for example i think Scalia is a scumbag. However, odds of someone who made it thru law school being completely clueless and fully injecting personal prejudice into their decisions is much lower than relying on the uneducated masses with these ballots. At least i think so. Pretty much most voters seem aware of "free speech, religion, right to bear arms" and that's about it.

Page 76 of 89 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •