Page 72 of 89 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482 ... LastLast
Results 711 to 720 of 882

Thread: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

  1. #711
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 06:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,951

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Cries of "activist judge" just means "judge who made a decision I don't like." It's a convenient method to dismiss the judge's decision without actually providing any rebuttal.
    That's what I just said.

  2. #712
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,708

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    I've never voted to ban marriage but it seems pretty obvious that the end result of a ban on gay marriage means that they can't get a marriage license and have their unions recognized as a marriage.

    You can't ban prayer because you don't need the government's approval to pray in your shower.
    I don't need the government's approval to stab my neighbor but they do, in fact, ban that. You're talking about difficulty of enforcement, which is irrelevant.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  3. #713
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    I've never voted to ban marriage but it seems pretty obvious that the end result of a ban on gay marriage means that they can't get a marriage license and have their unions recognized as a marriage.

    You can't ban prayer because you don't need the government's approval to pray in your shower.
    Horse feathers, prayer is in no way comparable to contract rights between 2 people. Why do we keep having to remind you that this is a civil LAW matter, not a religious matter? Your silly reduction of the issue to "it is just a piece of paper", holds no water......The Constitution is just another piece of paper in those terms.

    I keep searching for reasons why you supposedly support GM.....and searching....and searching....
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  4. #714
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 06:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,951

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    I don't need the government's approval to stab my neighbor but they do, in fact, ban that. You're talking about difficulty of enforcement, which is irrelevant.
    You can't police praying in the shower.

    You can police murder. It involves a victim.

  5. #715
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 06:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,951

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Horse feathers, prayer is in no way comparable to contract rights between 2 people. Why do we keep having to remind you that this is a civil LAW matter, not a religious matter? Your silly reduction of the issue to "it is just a piece of paper", holds no water......The Constitution is just another piece of paper in those terms.

    I keep searching for reasons why you supposedly support GM.....and searching....and searching....
    We were discussing votes that result in banning prayer, not comparing prayer to contracts.

    For the, what, 10th time or so, I'll post why I support SSM.

    Because I believe all adults of legal age of consent should be able to marry whomever they choose without explanation.

    End of story.

  6. #716
    Sage

    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,840

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    In their minds, that's exactly what they were doing.

    The ones in CA who voted for Prop 8 were mostly religious people, based on the exit polls. Apparently it was their religion that caused them to vote as they did. I would need to see some evidence that their votes were based on an intent to ignore individual liberties.
    Bravo! Their moral conscience was indeed the ruling factor in their vote. And the dirty little secret is it never would have made it on the ballot if it was not considered constitutionally sound. The legality and constitutionality of anything that goes on a ballot is determined BEFORE it is put up for vote. If a measure is deemed legal and within the guidelines of the constitution and then voted in by the people, no one judge should be able to negate what has been passed by voters. One judge striking down a voted in measure is akin to that judge saying "everyone but me is ignorant".

  7. #717
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Or maybe they were simply expressing their rights to have religious beliefs that are protected by the Constitution and differ from any beliefs you & I have.
    Religious beliefs that run counter to the Constitution are not protected by the Constitution.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  8. #718
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 06:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,951

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    Bravo! Their moral conscience was indeed the ruling factor in their vote. And the dirty little secret is it never would have made it on the ballot if it was not considered constitutionally sound. The legality and constitutionality of anything that goes on a ballot is determined BEFORE it is put up for vote. If a measure is deemed legal and within the guidelines of the constitution and then voted in by the people, no one judge should be able to negate what has been passed by voters. One judge striking down a voted in measure is akin to that judge saying "everyone but me is ignorant".
    This is where the horrible fuzziness of this all comes into play. At one time even Barack Obama, who were have been told was a Professor of Constitutional law, opposed SSM. So obviously it's not as cut and dry as people would like the issue to be. And to your point, people who I suspect know something about the CA constitution believed it could pass, and the voters passed it. The single judge who overturned both the votes of the citizens as well as the potential legality of the matter had his own different interpretation. Who was right and who was wrong? I don't think anyone really knows the answer.

    It's really too bad this issue has come to this.

  9. #719
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    We were discussing votes that result in banning prayer, not comparing prayer to contracts.
    YOU compared a ban on prayer to a ban on gay marriage, that IS comparing prayer to a civil contract....FFS, don't you undersatnd what you are saying?

    For the, what, 10th time or so, I'll post why I support SSM.

    Because I believe all adults of legal age of consent should be able to marry whomever they choose without explanation.

    End of story.
    I know you keep repeating this pleasantry, but as usual, it still conflicts with all of your argument. You still say that marriage "is just a piece of paper", negating the civil law aspects, and defend votes in opposition to gay marriage as "people expressing their Constitutionally protected religious beliefs".

    It is just one contradiction after another, none actually supporting your pleasantry.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  10. #720
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 06:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,951

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Religious beliefs that run counter to the Constitution are not protected by the Constitution.
    Which is why it all comes down to a judge's interpretation of the Constitution and you'll unfortunately you'll never get all judges in this country to agree on the meaning of the words in that document. That's why this issue keeps running on a case to case basis.

    It's rare for SCOTUS to have a unanimous ruling on everything, so even they don't see the words the same.

Page 72 of 89 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •