Page 58 of 89 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast
Results 571 to 580 of 882

Thread: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

  1. #571
    Sage

    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,880

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    all examples of morons choosing to break the law
    nobody forced them to break the law they were stupid and choose too, they thought laws and rights didnt apply to them and they found out they were wrong

    so again let us know when you have FACTUAL examples of people being FORCED to break the law lol
    What part of breaking their moral conscience versus breaking man made laws don't you understand? Sure they could have violated what in their soul they believe to be right to adhere to your accommodation laws but they chose to not compromise their conscience. And thanks to folks like you it cost them dearly.

  2. #572
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,217

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    I am tired of the same bullcrap. It all comes down to people oppose same sex marriage because it is not what they were taught to view marriage as. They come out with all these half baked rationalizations of "marriage is about procreation" or "marriage has always been between a man and a woman" but even under the lowest possible scrutiny of the facts those rationalizations are clearly incorrect and wrong. What they are really saying is they cannot see a purpose for marriage if it includes same sex couples. It is their problem. They have the issue. They are too narrow minded to see beyond their preconceptions and prejudices.
    You've evolved. They haven't. And they also represent, if polls are to be believed, almost 1/2 of the population of this country.

    They are also entitled to believe what they do without being degraded for it.

    I was born in 1962. I can assure you, through the bulk of my 50+ years on this Earth, when the word "marriage" came into my mind, I pictured a man and a woman, because that's what was the norm when I was born and for many years after that. Does it make me narrow minded that my mind defaults to Dan & Susan and not Dan & Stephen? The mention of a random group of native Americans or a couple of Roman emporers marrying someone of the same sex doesn't change the fact that the bulk of our citizens were born into a society with opposite sex people in marriage, and it will take decades if not generations to change that.

    You certainly don't expect the accepted national perception of something to turn on a dime, do you?

  3. #573
    Sage

    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,880

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    The price of living in a free society. Actually it goes beyond even that when you consider that people have being doing that for thousands of years.
    I disagree. A free society means people are allowed the freedoms afforded them. In our society religious freedoms are the very first mentioned in the 1st Amendment. To deny a man to be who he is because of his moral conscience in the public square is unacceptable and frankly unconstitutional.

  4. #574
    Guru
    WorldWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,041

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Can you actually post real examples of all of these hypothetical situations? It is hard for me to take someone seriously when they are claiming someone is facing jail time for violating an "accommodation" law. In what state does that occur?

    #1 Nurses: Since the hospital receive federal funds they could not be required to assist with abortions.
    (Court temporarily stops NJ hospital from forcing nurses to participate in abortions - Alliance Defending Freedom)

    #2 The doctors in question had been providing the woman with fertility treatments for about a year. The practice also had an exclusive contract with the insurance company for coverage. http://media.trb.com/media/acrobat/2008-08/41684837.pdf

    #3 He's referencing Boston Catholic Charities who voluntarily decided to stop adoption placement since their discriminated against taxpayers but still wanted to collect $1,000,000 in government funds for doing adoption placements. Usually the claim is that the State forced them to close, not the case as there are multiple Catholic Charities still adoption placement placement. (CNS STORY: Catholic Charities in Boston Archdiocese to end adoption services)

    #4 The baker who closed up shop is Sweetcakes by Mellisa who closed their storefront (the still operate from their home) because the owners said that business fell off. The bakery was not closed, as was said above, because "he was found violating accommodation laws". That is complete hyperbole. The bakery is still in business, the storefront was closed - not because of government action, but because the public didn't support their discriminatory conduct by not buying their cakes. (Baker Who Lost Shop After Refusing Gay Couple’s Wedding Cake Has Surprise Reaction to Ongoing Attacks: ‘My Eternal Home Is What Matters’ | Video | TheBlaze.com)



    >>>>

  5. #575
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,217

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    I disagree. A free society means people are allowed the freedoms afforded them. In our society religious freedoms are the very first mentioned in the 1st Amendment. To deny a man to be who he is because of his moral conscience in the public square is unacceptable and frankly unconstitutional.
    I agree wholeheartedly with this. The First Amendment protects the rights of people to exercise their freedom of religion.

    For some reason people believe it's acceptable to insult people who are exercising their First Amendment rights while at the same time screaming about Constitutional rights of marriage which should be honored.

    Either you respect the Constitution, or you don't. I marvel how some people believe the Constitution doesn't apply except when they believe it applies.

  6. #576
    Sage

    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,880

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by WorldWatcher View Post
    #1 Nurses: Since the hospital receive federal funds they could not be required to assist with abortions.
    (Court temporarily stops NJ hospital from forcing nurses to participate in abortions - Alliance Defending Freedom)

    #2 The doctors in question had been providing the woman with fertility treatments for about a year. The practice also had an exclusive contract with the insurance company for coverage. http://media.trb.com/media/acrobat/2008-08/41684837.pdf

    #3 He's referencing Boston Catholic Charities who voluntarily decided to stop adoption placement since their discriminated against taxpayers but still wanted to collect $1,000,000 in government funds for doing adoption placements. Usually the claim is that the State forced them to close, not the case as there are multiple Catholic Charities still adoption placement placement. (CNS STORY: Catholic Charities in Boston Archdiocese to end adoption services)

    #4 The baker who closed up shop is Sweetcakes by Mellisa who closed their storefront (the still operate from their home) because the owners said that business fell off. The bakery was not closed, as was said above, because "he was found violating accommodation laws". That is complete hyperbole. The bakery is still in business, the storefront was closed - not because of government action, but because the public didn't support their discriminatory conduct by not buying their cakes. (Baker Who Lost Shop After Refusing Gay Couple’s Wedding Cake Has Surprise Reaction to Ongoing Attacks: ‘My Eternal Home Is What Matters’ | Video | TheBlaze.com)



    >>>>
    Nice try World Watcher but no cigar.

  7. #577
    Sage

    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,880

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    I agree wholeheartedly with this. The First Amendment protects the rights of people to exercise their freedom of religion.

    For some reason people believe it's acceptable to insult people who are exercising their First Amendment rights while at the same time screaming about Constitutional rights of marriage which should be honored.

    Either you respect the Constitution, or you don't. I marvel how some people believe the Constitution doesn't apply except when they believe it applies.
    Thank you Tres for your response. It gives me hope.

  8. #578
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,125

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    You've evolved. They haven't. And they also represent, if polls are to be believed, almost 1/2 of the population of this country.

    They are also entitled to believe what they do without being degraded for it.

    I was born in 1962. I can assure you, through the bulk of my 50+ years on this Earth, when the word "marriage" came into my mind, I pictured a man and a woman, because that's what was the norm when I was born and for many years after that. Does it make me narrow minded that my mind defaults to Dan & Susan and not Dan & Stephen? The mention of a random group of native Americans or a couple of Roman emporers marrying someone of the same sex doesn't change the fact that the bulk of our citizens were born into a society with opposite sex people in marriage, and it will take decades if not generations to change that.

    You certainly don't expect the accepted national perception of something to turn on a dime, do you?
    Fair enough. But my little ounce of contempt does not justify the persecution complex of some of these people. Tell them to suck it up. They do not own marriage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

  9. #579
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,863
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Yes some of them accepted a certain form of gay unions (which isn't the same as gay marriage).
    It is the equivalent of marriage. The Indians didn't call it marriage, but the essence was the same. Life long partners. Yeah, they didn't have ceremonies for it afaik, but then neither did the European peasantry before 1563 or so. That was when the Council of Trent decided that marriages must be performed in front of a priest with witnesses.

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    I have a hard time accepting the notion that gay marriage accepted on a societal level has been a commonplace occurence in the past but then again, it doesn't really matter.
    You're right, it doesn't matter. It is just a little bit of fact to be thrown at those that are anti-SSM and try to use history as to it "never being accepted" and it just recently having become "a thing".

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Most of us posting on this board today were raised in a society where people had a married mother and a father as the norm (divorce, death or single mother birth aside) which is why many people struggle with the idea of marriage being something other than that. There are also many whose religious beliefs tell them that marriage is between a man and a woman. It amazes me to read posts accusing those people of being ignorant, bigots, and some of the other nasty words I see tossed at those people. Because some people's views on marriage have evolved doesn't mean everyone's views on marriage, or at least what they perceive marriage to be, have evolved.
    Personally I have no problem with them believing that SSM is wrong. But I do have a problem with them trying to deny Rights based on their religious beliefs.

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    The way to bring people into a new way of thinking IMO isn't with insults and degradation, but instead with logic, reason, some passion, and education. That isn't the case on this board, and I think the ones who argue with too much insulting against the non-believers aren't astute enough to realize the mistake they are making. If this was all being handled another way, I would suspect far more than a little over half of the country would share their views, but bullying and insulting isn't the way to go about it. People by nature will push back and resist when attacked.
    Yeah, I can do without the name calling myself. But there are times when its necessary unfortunately. Sometimes you have to fight fire with fire.

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Also, I find it interesting that many of the people whose arguments are based on the "wisdom" of judges are the same people who scream when they talk about the decision of SCOTUS on hot topics like Citizens United. Are judges infallible? No, to read some of the same people who claim they are for this particular situation.
    I'd scream if it was the result of a few judges, 30+ though all from across the county, even in same view states? I think I'd shut my mouth at that point.

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    This is where the gay-rights advocates have gone wrong.
    Nobody's perfect.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  10. #580
    Guru
    WorldWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,041

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    Nice try World Watcher but no cigar.

    What is incorrect?


    1. Did the judge not issue the injunction and the nurses were not forced to assist with abortion?

    2. Were the Doctors not treating the lesbian for infertility for a year and were they not under exclusive contract with the woman's medical insurance provider?

    3. Maybe you disagree with the fact that the Catholic News Service reported that the Archdiocese received $1,000,000 in taxpayer funding?

    4. You can't possibly disagree with the owner of the bakery when she said:

    "“Just the whole being affected big time in our wedding industry part of the business — the vendors not referring us any more,” Melissa said when asked how the incident impacted her business. “We coasted it through the summer to see how it would be. We had quite a few wedding cakes that we had booked and people cancelled. The referrals that we would get, none of those came in. In past years, Melissa said that the family had a good cushion and that the majority of their money would come in during wedding season each summer. While this would carry the business through the winter, the stark reality was that the family’s current financial situation and the dearth of orders meant that closing the shop was a necessity, as Melissa said that she and Aaron were struggling to meet financial commitments each month.”


    >>>>

Page 58 of 89 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •