Page 44 of 89 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast
Results 431 to 440 of 882

Thread: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

  1. #431
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Oh. That's nice.

    I'm pro-gay marriage.

    I'm talking about the treatment of blacks.
    We are talking about the right to marriage, the most basic of human rights. If you cannot see how that underlies ANY civil right, I don't know what else to say other than you have lost all perspective of the context of the debate.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  2. #432
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,966

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    And as I said before, here is where we differ. I see the treatment of blacks until the civil rights movement as horrible. I don't see not getting a marriage certificate as "horrible". I also don't see married people as being "first class citizens" in order to get the notion of gays being "second class citizens", but that's just my opinion.

    The reason I'm for gay marriage is that I'm just not against it, to be honest. Maybe if I thought this was truly a tragedy that gay couples don't get that peice of paper, I'd be more active in my support of it. I know a lot of people who never married, but were very happy.

    I just think people should be able to marry who they want and that's that.

    You still haven't said how legalizing SSM will make the prejudices against gays go away, or them being able to get jobs and houses they are not getting today.
    I never said it would but I did answer you:

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa
    And the civil rights movement wasnt about changing prejudice...it was about giving *people*...blacks...equal rights, making sure they were no longer treated like 2nd class citizens and had *equal protection under the law.*

    Just like this step in SSM is one piece of recognizing the same for gays.
    And the reason you dont view the struggle by gays as the same is because they were able to 'hide' in society...and had to...otherwise the persecution would have been the same or similar.

    Even today gays are beaten to death, just because of who they are. In the past especially, they would have been driven out of neighborhoods as perverts, deviants (people call that that here on the forum), kicked out of church, removed from jobs (like teaching), not hired for jobs, etc etc etc.

    To survive, they hid. Blacks could not hide.
    Last edited by Lursa; 05-21-14 at 07:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  3. #433
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    You were trying to say that the right denied a homosexual is a long from a right denied to a Black. It is not, since in this CASE, they both involve the most basic of human rights.....the right to marry.
    Thank you for sharing your opinion. Mine is different.

  4. #434
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    I'm sure, then, that you agree Christianity has no specific authority to claim the word "marriage."

    Side note/fun fact:
    The terrible, activist judge in PA that overturned the ban was endorsed by none other than social conservative hero Rick Santorum!
    I never claimed Christianity held the "rights" to "marriage" I merely pointed out that religion/bond was the basis of marriage and that government shouldn't be involved.....

    I don't give a **** about Rick Santorum so who gives a ****?

    If you're gay then join a church that will marry you - of you're opposed to homosexuality then join a church that caters to your ideas.... It's that simple.

    Government can stay out of all of that!

  5. #435
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    I never said it would but I did answer you:
    So then the issue of gay discrimination isn't relevant. I knew that as well.

    How are married people "1st class" citizens? In what context, I mean.

  6. #436
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Santorum endorsed him because he was a good and smart legislator. Santorum surprisingly enough isn't a one issue person.
    And his judicial reasoning in this case is excellent. I already posted the opinion, but here it is again for those interested:

    http://www.aclupa.org/files/8714/006...OD_OPINION.pdf
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  7. #437
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,020

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Amandi View Post
    I found a couple of stories/blogs. I dont know about finding actual polls or research but I will continue to try.

    Prop 8: Let’s Get Rid of Marriage Instead! | Women's Media Center
    A Gay-Marriage Solution: End Marriage? - TIME
    And those show a couple of legal scholars and a single blogger who are suggesting it. That is not major support. That is simply a couple of people who support it. I recognize that a few people support this. But I believe the majority of this is really one of two situations. One; those who are against same sex marriage but recognize that it will legal soon so they are desperate to maintain their claim to the word. Two; those who do not like confrontations and are looking to appease everyone, and this is their proposal of doing it. The problem is that this will become a non-issue once same sex marriage is completely legal everywhere. Most won't even notice it after a couple years. Sure, some will still grumble about it, just as some now grumble about interracial marriages or about sodomy laws being struck down.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  8. #438
    Educator Amandi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Delaware
    Last Seen
    06-19-15 @ 02:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    905
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    There is a difference in some places. Plus, not everyone wants the federal recognition. Others do. There is a reason that some opposite sex couples would prefer to have a civil union vice just getting married when the state allows them to. (What their reasoning is, I don't know. But they wouldn't exist at all for opposite sex couples if they didn't want something other than marriage.)

    Civil union - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Hey, I have no problem in adjusting my stances if presented with the information. I will look into it but until I find a difference, I will still think the best alternative would be doing away with legal marriage entirely. I dont think that will happen so my actions will be supporting marriage equality.

  9. #439
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    But not in law.
    Yes, even in law!

  10. #440
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Thank you for sharing your opinion. Mine is different.
    But apparently, you cannot logically explain how your "opinion" that a human right (marriage) is different from a civil right (interracial marriage) is different from a "gay" right (gay marriage).
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

Page 44 of 89 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •