Page 4 of 89 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 882

Thread: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

  1. #31
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    That's not true. A majority of the people may amend the constitution. Constitutions exist to grant and restrict governmental power.
    Then try to pass a constitutional amendment. Voters don't get to override constitutional protections without one.

  2. #32
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    They aren't legislating from the bench. People like you were oppressing from the ballot box, and the judges stopped you. Sorry if this offends you.
    Care to explain why judges are just noticing now that these laws are unconstitutional. For a couple centuries they weren't.

  3. #33
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,858
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    Indeed..

    An openly Gay judge ruled on the Oregon law yesterday. (should have recused himself)
    Should heterosexual judges recuse themselves every time a case involving heterosexual marriage comes up? I'd bet that you would say "no". It's hypocritical to say that a gay judge should recuse themselves regarding a gay case while allowing a heterosexual judge to rule on heterosexual marraiges.

    Besides, AFAIK there have only been two homosexual judges that have ruled on this issue and they have agreed each time with rulings made by far more heterosexual judges when it comes to the right to marriage.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  4. #34
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,288

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    This redefining of a social construct that transcends millennium old cultural and religious standards will not end well.
    The New Democratic Party Slogan :

    " Return to Power By Any Means Necessary "

  5. #35
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman123 View Post
    Then try to pass a constitutional amendment. Voters don't get to override constitutional protections without one.
    No need, the "protections" you claim are not there to amend.

  6. #36
    Question authority
    Grand Mal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    on an island off the left coast of Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    16,479
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Is amusing that you think the constitution grants you the right to vote against someone else's freedom.
    That's how conservatives roll. More laws, more government interference, less freedom, mob rule, it's a nasty vision of society that their agenda serves.
    "I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid people. I meant that stupid people are generally Conservatives."
    -John Stuart Mill-

  7. #37
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,186

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Is amusing that you think the constitution grants you the right to vote against someone else's freedom.
    Do you think we have freedoms anymore?

  8. #38
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Should heterosexual judges recuse themselves every time a case involving heterosexual marriage comes up? I'd bet that you would say "no". It's hypocritical to say that a gay judge should recuse themselves regarding a gay case while allowing a heterosexual judge to rule on heterosexual marraiges.

    Besides, AFAIK there have only been two homosexual judges that have ruled on this issue and they have agreed each time with rulings made by far more heterosexual judges when it comes to the right to marriage.
    If they have a horse in the race, yes.

  9. #39
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,186

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Mal View Post
    That's how conservatives roll. More laws, more government interference, less freedom, mob rule, it's a nasty vision of society that their agenda serves.
    Actually conservatives, real ones, advocate the opposite of what you posted here.

  10. #40
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,858
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Care to explain why judges are just noticing now that these laws are unconstitutional. For a couple centuries they weren't.
    And for a couple of centuries homosexuals were treated as criminals and they dared not come out...much less demand that they be treated with equal rights. As such it was never brought before the courts before. Now that they have the security to come out they are bringing their case before the courts. As is proper.

    BTW: It took a couple of centuries before Loving v. Virginia to happen also. Are you going to try and use your excuse on that case as well? It would at least be consistant.....
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

Page 4 of 89 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •