Page 39 of 89 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast
Results 381 to 390 of 882

Thread: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

  1. #381
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,868

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    But I'm not talking about interracial couples, and as evidenced by my posts on this subject, I obviously wouldn't support a ban on interracial couples.

    If gays are denied jobs and housing now because of prejudice against their lifestyle, how would making SSM legal change that?
    I'm drawing a direct parallel to where you questioned gays comparison with the civil rights movement in your previous post.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  2. #382
    Sage

    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,869

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Prove it. I bet you there isn't support. I bet that most people would not want to change marriage at all. They are simply going to forget about it within a few years of same sex marriage bans being struck down all over the US, at least most of those currently saying that they would support it. And even that is a small number.

    We already have civil unions within our current laws. Changing "marriages" to "civil unions" means those would have to change for at least a few states, because those who enter into civil unions do so for a reason, generally one that includes not wanting to be considered legally married. So they would require something else that covers them.

    And why? Because some people are whining about having to share a word.
    I see support for it on both sides of the political aisle. After all since the institution of marriage as defined for centuries no longer exists, all the government really needs is civil unions for legal purposes and need not define marriage any longer. Then it is up to the individual to define what their union should be. Those in favor of such a thing could take a page or two out of the leftist's handbook in changing one state at a time to civil unions and as the people try to ban such a thing, search for an activist judge that will overturn their state ban claiming it unconstitutional and before you know it there will be 20 some states doing away with marriage licenses altogether. Brahahahahahahahaha.

  3. #383
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    I see support for it on both sides of the political aisle. After all since the institution of marriage as defined for centuries no longer exists, all the government really needs is civil unions for legal purposes and need not define marriage any longer. Then it is up to the individual to define what their union should be. Those in favor of such a thing could take a page or two out of the leftist's handbook in changing one state at a time to civil unions and as the people try to ban such a thing, search for an activist judge that will overturn their state ban claiming it unconstitutional and before you know it there will be 20 some states doing away with marriage licenses altogether. Brahahahahahahahaha.
    And I see opposition to it on both sides. Most people are for simply allowing same sex couples to marry. It is the easiest thing to do. It also doesn't cost anything extra.

    We are humans. Our "institutions" change with time. Our words change meanings with time. You don't get to claim a timeless definition of any word.

    The government would need to do a lot of things. Marriage is used in many laws in the federal government, and all 50 states. And civil unions, that differ from marriage itself, exist in several of those states already.

    You want to get the change enacted, push for it. We'll see how much "support" for it is truly there. I'm willing to bet not a whole lot. Especially after same sex marriage bans are struck down by the SCOTUS. After that, it will become basically a non-issue.

    In fact, I challenge you to find a single state where the support for doing away with marriage licenses is in any way significant, and not just some really loud idiots calling for it. Marriage is needed, so long as we recognize legal family at all. Spouses become the most important legal family member to most people once they reach adulthood. Eliminating marriage altogether would cause major issues with our family laws.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  4. #384
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,125

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    I wasn't refering to marriage in the context of being legal or illegal dependening on a couples ability to have children.

    I was really refering to the original and fundamental definition of marriage, that AGAIN, predates our Laws and Constitution.

    What I was refering to was the definition that transends cultures, religions and race.

    The natural definition of marriage.

    I realize what this small group of activist is trying to do which is to corrupt that natural definition and defy thousands of years of societal evolution.

    Good luck with that.
    And your argument decends into "my religious belief says...". Same sex marriage has existed through out recorded human history and across multiple cultures in the world. Your ignorance if this history is no excuse to pretend it does not exist. Even two different Roman emperors married men.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

  5. #385
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,858
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    Good for it! I always liked the Greek gods. But this doesn't change the fact that there is a whole pantheon of religious beliefs that are no longer followed. Greeks were just one example. I hadn't realized that there was a push to bring it back. The Christian religion has only been around for 2 thousand years. Catholicism has been around slightly longer, yet humans have been around for ALOT longer than both.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  6. #386
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    The federal and state governments shouldn't even be recognizing marriage in the first place.

    They never had the right to and still don't.

    This whole marriage debate is nothing more than pandering and politics.

    Marriage should be considered a religious instituted bond not a state endorsed bond.

  7. #387
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    The federal and state governments shouldn't even be recognizing marriage in the first place.

    They never had the right to and still don't.

    This whole marriage debate is nothing more than pandering and politics.

    Marriage should be considered a religious instituted bond not a state endorsed bond.
    Religions do not own marriage. They never actually did. Usurping authority over marriage because they came into power is not the same thing as owning marriage.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  8. #388
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,186

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    I'm drawing a direct parallel to where you questioned gays comparison with the civil rights movement in your previous post.
    I have no idea why, because to me the civil rights movement wasn't about interracial marriage. I thought my examples in my post would have made it clear.

    How would legalizing SSM change any prejudice against gay people?

  9. #389
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,186

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    And your argument decends into "my religious belief says...". Same sex marriage has existed through out recorded human history and across multiple cultures in the world. Your ignorance if this history is no excuse to pretend it does not exist. Even two different Roman emperors married men.
    How does 2 Emperors marrying men (outside of the normal societal acceptance) make him "ignorant"? Emperor Caligula made his horse a Senator, but that doesn't mean that society accepted horses as having the same rights as humans. He made that decision as an Emperor.

    In which societies was SSM legal, commonplace, and accepted as the norm?

  10. #390
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,186

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Good for it! I always liked the Greek gods. But this doesn't change the fact that there is a whole pantheon of religious beliefs that are no longer followed. Greeks were just one example. I hadn't realized that there was a push to bring it back. The Christian religion has only been around for 2 thousand years. Catholicism has been around slightly longer, yet humans have been around for ALOT longer than both.
    Zeus was the bomb. I'd be all for bringing him back. Didn't he marry his sister?

Page 39 of 89 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •