Page 36 of 89 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686 ... LastLast
Results 351 to 360 of 882

Thread: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

  1. #351
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,890

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Amandi View Post
    This would be the best option but people want government in marriage for some reason.
    It's not the best option IMO because it creates 2 different govt agencies overseeing the same thing. more bureaucracy, bigger govt, more wasted taxpayer $.

    The opposite of what most conservatives/Republicans support.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  2. #352
    Sage
    WCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Lone Star State.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,183

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Immediately goes for ad hominem. Typical. Pathetic.
    Truth hurts sometimes.
    32 “Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. 33 But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.
    Matt. 10:32-33

  3. #353
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,217

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    How so? IMO they are being treated like 2nd class citizens here....just like when blacks had to sit separately or use different bathrooms.
    I guess because I think it's a long way from being barred from buying a home or getting a good job to the privilege of having a piece of paper that says "You're married". To me, being with someone I love is far more important than the paper that the state of NJ gave to me & my husband. Not even the opponents of gay marriage seem to be saying that gay people shouldn't be with those they love.

  4. #354
    Sage
    WCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Lone Star State.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,183

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Except you are trying to use that "say" to violate the constitution, to suppress someone else's freedom based on nothing more than your personal disapproval of their actions. You don't believe in small government, you believe in using the government as the club to enforce your will onto others. Sorry, friend, this is America. That's not how we do things here. You want to restrict someone's freedom, you need a better basis for that restriction than thinking gay sex is icky.

    Unless you are ultra-authoritarian, in which case you believe the government should be empowered to restrict choices arbitrarily.
    Obama and Holder didn't need anything but an EO to stop the DOMA (which Clinton signed) so don't tell me about process. It's skewed.
    32 “Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. 33 But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.
    Matt. 10:32-33

  5. #355
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,890

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    It takes one hell of a set of blinders to make that kind of comparison.

    The consequences of the destruction of the traditional Family unit are more apparent in inner city areas than any other location in America including rural trailer parks.

    One is a real and perpetual tragedy that leads to poverty, dependence, drug abuse, crime, violence and a lack of education.

    The other us a worn out sterotype, a dumb joke.
    As someone who also once taught in the schools and parks of Manhattan, I can tell you that view is based more on population density than behavior and morals.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  6. #356
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    Obama and Holder didn't need anything but an EO to stop the DOMA (which Clinton signed) so don't tell me about process. It's skewed.
    Clinton signed DOMA because, at the time, the support was present for a Constitutional Amendment that could limit marriage for a very long time, on a national level, to only a man and a woman. Much like Prohibition was, that would have been a very bad thing. So, DOMA was the lesser of two evils for the time it was enacted. DOMA is gone now, unconstitutional.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  7. #357
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Governor Corbett just signaled that his administration will not appeal the ruling. It seems as though this is the end of the line as far as Pennsylvania is concerned. Same sex marriage will remain legal.

    Pennsylvania Gov. Corbett says he’s not going to fight ruling allowing gay marriage

  8. #358
    Sage
    WCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Lone Star State.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,183

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    People were pushing for same sex marriage to be legal long before Obama or Holder. It has been political ever since DOMA and before. It was political from the very first time that some state decided that same sex couples could not enter into marriages the same way that opposite sex couples do.
    Really? other than Gays' who was pushing for it...let's say during the Clinton administration?


    And how many have pushed back?
    32 “Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. 33 But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.
    Matt. 10:32-33

  9. #359
    Sage

    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,880

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    You are just continuing to assume that marriage in this country has never changed. It has many times. It changed when women got equal rights. It changed when divorce was opened up to not requiring a reason beyond "we want to split up". It changed when interracial couples were allowed to marry in every state. It changed when wives could have their husbands charged with rape.

    There is no real reason to waste the time and money to make the change. And you won't likely get the support for such a thing. Those like me aren't going to support it (because it is pointless and makes those pushing for it look like pouting children) and those who are hardcore against same sex marriage aren't going to support it because they don't want to "legitimize" any same sex relationships. Plus, many simply don't want to give up their use of the word "marriage".
    None of those changes took away from the core principle of marriage was to support a man and woman (mother and father) to reproduce, raise/nurture children that would function and better society. Your definition alters that.

    Oh I think there's support for it out there. No one has to give up their use of the word marriage, you just can no longer define it for another. Since the institution of marriage as we have known it for thousands of years no longer exists, what's the beef? Oh and please spare me the argument of cost after the hundreds of millions or more the left has spent in their quest to redefine marriage.
    Last edited by vesper; 05-21-14 at 06:06 PM.

  10. #360
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    I guess because I think it's a long way from being barred from buying a home or getting a good job to the privilege of having a piece of paper that says "You're married". To me, being with someone I love is far more important than the paper that the state of NJ gave to me & my husband. Not even the opponents of gay marriage seem to be saying that gay people shouldn't be with those they love.
    That piece of paper gives a couple a lot of things, including the right to say that this is their legal spouse, which comes in handy in a lot of legal and even personal situations. Even when it comes to just getting a home, whether buying or renting, marriage provides a benefit. When it comes to being in the military, marriage provides a massive benefit. When it comes to many other situations, marriage is a huge benefit. It might not be for everyone, but most people want marriage as an option. Just as they want adoption as an option, rather than just being granted a permanent guardianship over a child.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

Page 36 of 89 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •