Page 35 of 89 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585 ... LastLast
Results 341 to 350 of 882

Thread: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

  1. #341
    cynical class clown
    Luftwaffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    CONNECTICUT
    Last Seen
    11-18-17 @ 10:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    10,499

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Who is "we"? That would be you.

    You made a suggestion for an approved marriage with a caveat that excluded reproduction. So you're advocating the conditions of marriage. I'm not.
    We refers to the government which not even a decade ago tried enforcing laws opposing gay marriage.

    However, just like suicide is illegal, how is inbreeding (essentially long term suicide of your own gene and homicide of your successors) not supposed to be legal? Of course, being the much nicer person than most others I am fine with not only incestual marriage and sex, but even adoption for incestual couples to be able to raise children.
    -----MOS 19D = cavalry scout = best damn MOS there is

  2. #342
    Guru
    WorldWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 07:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,041

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    Well thank you for making my case that government need not define marriage. Civil unions for all is as far as they should be involved.

    That would fine with me. It's a valid temporary compromise. Everyone will still call it marriage anyway and one or two generations down the road it will be just marriage anyway. But if that float's your boat I'm on board. My marriage to my wife of 27 will not be impacted one wit if the government calls it a marriage or union.


    >>>>

  3. #343
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Luftwaffe View Post
    We refers to the government which not even a decade ago tried enforcing laws opposing gay marriage.

    However, just like suicide is illegal, how is inbreeding (essentially long term suicide of your own gene and homicide of your successors) not supposed to be legal? Of course, being the much nicer person than most others I am fine with not only incestual marriage and sex, but even adoption for incestual couples to be able to raise children.
    I don't believe there should be conditions placed on marriage. That was you.

    I also don't believe we have the right to decide who should have children.

    I believe in people having the freedom to marry who they want and breed when they want assuming they can care for the child.

    It isn't my business to decide on bloodlines.

  4. #344
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,023

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    What you fail to grasp is you have taken an fundamental institution in this country and turned it upside down by redefining the term marriage as it has been recognized for thousands of years. So if you can redefine marriage, why can't civil unions be redefined? In doing so your "marriage" can be defined any way you like it.
    You are just continuing to assume that marriage in this country has never changed. It has many times. It changed when women got equal rights. It changed when divorce was opened up to not requiring a reason beyond "we want to split up". It changed when interracial couples were allowed to marry in every state. It changed when wives could have their husbands charged with rape.

    There is no real reason to waste the time and money to make the change. And you won't likely get the support for such a thing. Those like me aren't going to support it (because it is pointless and makes those pushing for it look like pouting children) and those who are hardcore against same sex marriage aren't going to support it because they don't want to "legitimize" any same sex relationships. Plus, many simply don't want to give up their use of the word "marriage".
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  5. #345
    Sage
    WCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Lone Star State.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,209

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    No. It is the people who are demanding that same sex marriage be made legal. The state has no power to change laws that are not challenged by the people.

    Your discontent comes from the fact that you wish to keep laws that restrict marriage based on sex/gender in place merely because you don't think they "fit". Too bad.
    Yeah people named Obama and Holder. But this whole thing is political anyhow.

    President Obama Instructs Justice Department to Stop Defending Defense of Marriage Act calls Clinton-Signed Law “Unconstitutional” - ABC News
    32 “Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. 33 But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.
    Matt. 10:32-33

  6. #346
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,975

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    With all due respect (don't you hate when someone says that before a thought?), it's a long long long way from gay marriage rights to the civil rights movement.
    How so? IMO they are being treated like 2nd class citizens here....just like when blacks had to sit separately or use different bathrooms.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  7. #347
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,975

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    Those involved in interracial marriages did not redefine marriage. Same sex marriage does. Big difference. Like I mentioned in another thread, what states will likely end up doing is do away with marriage altogether making them civil unions for legal purposes only. That way no one can redefine marriage for everyone.
    Yes, they did redefine marriage in places where marriage 'only meant couples of the same race.' that is how it was defined there. Otherwise, how could it have been illegal?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  8. #348
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,023

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    People were pushing for same sex marriage to be legal long before Obama or Holder. It has been political ever since DOMA and before. It was political from the very first time that some state decided that same sex couples could not enter into marriages the same way that opposite sex couples do.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  9. #349
    Sage
    WCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Lone Star State.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,209

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    A man and a woman cannot be 'one flesh' either. C'mon.

    Or explain that one for me.
    What does it mean to be one flesh in a marriage?
    32 “Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. 33 But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.
    Matt. 10:32-33

  10. #350
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,975

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    Why bother? because you and others have decided that marriage needed to be redefined even though a good portion of the people do not agree with your new definition. By the government only dealing in civil unions, the individual can define marriage as he she sees fit. The only purpose the government needs is some status of your union for legal purposes and a civil union would be quite sufficient.
    That 'definition' of marriage means exactly the same thing to gay couples. And that 'definition' of marriage changes absolutely nothing about anyone else's marriage...past, present, or future.

    Was your only purpose in marrying for legal reasons? It's not just that for gays either. They want to marry for the exact same reasons as straight people and it means the same to them too. OTOH, they are *entitled* to the same benefit and legal protections.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

Page 35 of 89 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •