Page 21 of 89 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 882

Thread: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

  1. #201
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,023

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    That's not true. A majority of the people may amend the constitution. Constitutions exist to grant and restrict governmental power.
    Not the majority of a single state or even the majority of a dozen or so (up to about half or so would probably be about where we would get into iffy area) states because the majority of the rest of the states may very well be against that Amendment, and that would mean it wouldn't pass.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  2. #202
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,023

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    If they have a horse in the race, yes.
    Anyone technically "has a horse in the race" on this issue since there is really no way to know whether or not in the future any judge might want to marry someone of the same sex. Every judge that makes a ruling on this issue is gaining a right if the law is struck down, no matter what their sexual orientation is. There may be some judges who are more likely to enter into a same sex marriage as of right now, but every single one gains new rights, just like every single person in the US does. That goes for most laws that have been struck down.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  3. #203
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,023

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Do you think we have freedoms anymore?
    These rulings, and one from the SCOTUS, gives us more freedoms, not less.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  4. #204
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,023

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Actually, no on that last. It took less than four years. Before the Civil Rights Act of 1964 the constitution and federal law was silent on the issue of interracial marriage. The Loving decision came in 1967.
    Go look up your facts. An interracial marriage ruling was made in the 1800s, Pace v Alabama that upheld bans on interracial marriage. And California had a court decision made to strike down its interracial marriage bans just a few years before the Loving case.

    The Constitution has always been silent on the issue of interracial marriage, however, there were several proposals throughout the years for interracial marriage to be prohibited via the US Constitution.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  5. #205
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,023

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    I'm pro-gay marriage but I am curious when the freedoms of polygamists are going to be taken up as a cause, and the cause for people who want to marry their siblings?

    Marriage should be open to everyone who is of legal age.
    This should be fought on their own merits and the legal arguments against those individual issues, not on the sole fact that other marriage restrictions have been struck down.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  6. #206
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,023

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    No, the issue is NOT just about legalities.

    If that were the case then these people would have been satisfied with Civil Unions.

    No, this is activism, a coordinated attack of a age old definition that transcends Religion and cultures and races.
    No civil unions in the US ever completely equaled marriage because there has never been any push within the federal government to recognize legal civil unions of anyone in any way. The only union that the federal government recognizes as granting the status of "spouse" to people is marriage.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  7. #207
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    Really? As a conservative Santorum would not have endorsed him if he knew this is the way he would rule.
    So it's funny as in "haha"? Hmmm.....okay.

    Lots of politicians have endorsed judges through the years who end up ruling on certain things that the endorser himself disagrees with. It's happened with SCOTUS judges and ruling in a way the POTUS who nominated that judge would probably NOT have ruled.

    No clue what Santorum's reasons for endorsing him in the first place were, and what rulings they were based on. But he obviously wanted him to be a judge, and he's probably not losing sleep over the endorsement even with this ruling, which I think was a good one.

  8. #208
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,023

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    No marriage has ever been annulled in the United States because a couple could not bear children, no divorce has ever been granted in the history of the United States because a couple did not bear children, and the fertility of a couple has never in the history of the United States been a prerequisite to obtain a marriage license. There is not and has never been a requirement in US law that procreation is required for marriage. Furthermore, same sex couples have children through surrogacy and in vitro fertilization. Your argument is without precedent or rationality.

    Loving v. Virginia established that marriage is a fundamental and Constitutionally protected right.
    In fact, there are 5 states with laws that state explicitly that in order for certain opposite sex couples to marry (first cousins), those couples must either be over a certain age (or rather the woman must be, and it is recognized as a high enough age that a woman is highly unlikely to be able to conceive children) or must in fact prove infertility in one or both people in order to legally marry. The positive procreative ability between the couples wishing to marry fails hard when facts actually come out.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  9. #209
    Sage
    WCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Lone Star State.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,209

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Mal View Post
    Read it, not impressed.
    Those aren't definitions, they're someone's opinions, someone with a drum to beat. Anyone who says liberalism is about big government and state power either doesn't know what liberalism means or is trying to hijack an ideology he can't admit to admiring. Liberal = bad, so anything good in liberalism is really conservative and anything bad in conservative is really liberal. Poof! Like magic, some dishonest schmuck feels good about himself.
    Well Liberal do have many monikers...Socialists, Progressives, Communists, Marxists etc.

    Did you say you were from Canada?
    32 “Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. 33 But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.
    Matt. 10:32-33

  10. #210
    Sage
    WCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Lone Star State.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,209

    Re: Judge throws out Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Having a partner does not = wanting to get married. I know a few people who have partners but refuse to get married.
    It does screw you on tax day.

    My point is by his decision, his and other Gay couples will benefit if they choose to do so. He even admits in his ruling the he's going against the wishes of the majority in 'his' state and makes out like it's a hard decision.

    I say he's biased.
    32 “Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. 33 But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.
    Matt. 10:32-33

Page 21 of 89 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •