Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 173

Thread: China bans government use of Windows 8

  1. #101
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: China bans government use of Windows 8

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    Sure...I agree with that.

    However, just because one doesn't like the interface it doesn't follow that the OS doesn't work, is inferior or is a piece of crap. It just means you don't like the way it looks. On the other hand, even if you don't like the tile interface, you don't ever have to see it or use it if you don't want to. Win8 also includes that good old, familiar desktop interface that any traditional windows user should be perfectly comfortable with. Of course, there is that issue with the Start Button. I know some people just can't bear to be without that. MS knows this, as well. That's why the next update is slated to bring that Start Button back. Personally, I never used the Start Button in Win7 so the absence of it in Win8 was no big deal for me.
    You need to bone up. Yes, they say they're bringing back the start button, but they aren't. It'll just be a button they throw on there that lacks the functionality of the old start menu.

  2. #102
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: China bans government use of Windows 8

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Again you're spewing nonsense. That it runs on mobile devices is not an enhancement to the OS. And no, the other changes aren't enhancements either, they are restrictions.
    Of course it's an enhancement to the OS. Prior to Win8, Windows did not run on smartphones, etc.
    enhancement: definition of enhancement in Oxford dictionary (American English) (US)
    An increase or improvement in quality, value, or extent:



    Just saying that proves you haven't a clue. The reason business doesn't upgrade as quickly to new versions is almost entirely down to the costs of retraining. They certainly DO want a standard. Worker productivity is affected when the worker who could easily find what they were doing on every previous MS OS, now has to hunt the web to find where MS decided to hide everything.
    No, there are many reasons why businesses don't upgrade immediately. Retraining costs are just one of many reasons.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  3. #103
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: China bans government use of Windows 8

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    Your statement is false.

    My VIC-20's interface was nothing like Windows, yet that little dynamo of a computer worked very well and Commodore made a lot of money from it. They did even better with the Commodore 64.

    Perhaps more people should look beyond the interface when they judge an OS, eh?
    Rubbish. Look up the meaning of GUI.

  4. #104
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: China bans government use of Windows 8

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    All that says is that the UI is different and that you (and others) don't like it. It doesn't mean that it doesn't work
    Again, "not working" and "unusable" are different values.

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Employees have constantly had to learn how to use new versions of Windows (and apps) and it has never rendered any version "unusable for business"
    Proving once again you don't know what you're on about. The UI (you DO know that stands for User INTERFACE, right? You know, that thing you say doesn't matter) elements were placed where users knew they would be and up until XP were accessible with a minimum click through.

  5. #105
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: China bans government use of Windows 8

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Of course it's an enhancement to the OS. Prior to Win8, Windows did not run on smartphones, etc.
    enhancement: definition of enhancement in Oxford dictionary (American English) (US)
    Yes, now read that definition again. It may be an enhancement over MS's previous mobile versions on mobile devices. But the fact that the OS also runs on mobile devices does not meet the definition of enhancement.

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    No, there are many reasons why businesses don't upgrade immediately. Retraining costs are just one of many reasons.
    It is the MAIN reason. Yes, there are other reasons, I didn't say it was the sole reason.

  6. #106
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: China bans government use of Windows 8

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Again, "not working" and "unusable" are different values.
    If it works, it is usable.



    Proving once again you don't know what you're on about. The UI (you DO know that stands for User INTERFACE, right? You know, that thing you say doesn't matter) elements were placed where users knew they would be and up until XP were accessible with a minimum click through.
    Actually, there is a history of MS moving various programs and utilities from one place to another. And requiring additional key clicks is a trivial concern for the managers who decide if and when to upgrade. No upgrade has ever been delayed or cancelled because of extra mouse clicks.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  7. #107
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: China bans government use of Windows 8

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Yes, now read that definition again. It may be an enhancement over MS's previous mobile versions on mobile devices. But the fact that the OS also runs on mobile devices does not meet the definition of enhancement.
    I'm glad that we can agree that it's an enhancement

    It is the MAIN reason. Yes, there are other reasons, I didn't say it was the sole reason.
    No, it's not even the main reason.

    The main reason is a lack of need. Applications drive all software purchases included OS upgrades. Businesses don't buy computers so they can run OS's. The buy computers and OS's so they can run apps

    Since there are few business apps that require Win8 to run on the market, and since the in-house developed s/w that many businesses run do not run on mobiles (yet), there is no compelling reason for most businesses to upgrade as of yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  8. #108
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,819

    Re: China bans government use of Windows 8

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_State View Post
    Steering wheel is a buzzword? Ok, that makes you sound like an idiot.

    It is not a traditional desktop. It is a blank window. Where do you go to launch 90% of your programs? The Start button. Doesn't exist. It seems silly. Anyways, people smarter than I in this field say:
    I've never gone to the Start Button to launch my programs. Perhaps you do and perhaps you have difficulty learning to use a different method. I don't know. But I got to ask you...if you have a cell phone, does it have a Start Button? If not, how do you manage to launch an app?

    And, yeah...let's take a good look at what these "smarter" people have to say, eh?

    Useability expert Raluca Budiu of the Nielsen Norman Group said, "Windows 8 is optimized for content consumption rather than content production and multitasking. Whereas content consumption can easily be done on other media (tablets and phones), production and multitasking are still best suited for PCs. Windows 8 appears to ignore that."
    1. Does this person seriously think Win8 is incapable of content production and multitasking? Here's a screenshot of what I have on one of my monitors at this moment. (I'm typing this post on my other monitor)

    Screenshot (389).jpg

    Based on my experience, Raluca Budiu doesn't know what the hell he/she is talking about.

    2. So what if content consumption can easily be done on tablets and phones? Does that mean I shouldn't be able to do it on my PC?

    Jakob Neilsen, "One of the worst aspects of Windows 8 for power users is that the product's very name has become a misnomer. "Windows" no longer supports multiple windows on the screen. Win8 does have an option to temporarily show a second area in a small part of the screen, but none of our test users were able to make this work. Also, the main UI restricts users to a single window, so the product ought to be renamed 'Microsoft Window.'"
    Jacob Neilsen makes the same stupid mistake that so many others make: They think Win8 is the tiled interface. My screenshot shows him to be, at best, just plain wrong and, at worst, shortsighted or deliberately misleading to those who might actually want to know what Win8 is all about.
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

  9. #109
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: China bans government use of Windows 8

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    I'm glad that we can agree that it's an enhancement



    No, it's not even the main reason.

    The main reason is a lack of need. Applications drive all software purchases included OS upgrades. Businesses don't buy computers so they can run OS's. The buy computers and OS's so they can run apps

    Since there are few business apps that require Win8 to run on the market, and since the in-house developed s/w that many businesses run do not run on mobiles (yet), there is no compelling reason for most businesses to upgrade as of yet.
    Again showing you know nothing of the business SW environment. Just to clue you in, the main reason most admins won't let the mobile devices anywhere near their network is security. It's 1991 for mobile device security and too damn easy to exploit.

  10. #110
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,819

    Re: China bans government use of Windows 8

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Rubbish. Look up the meaning of GUI.
    A GUI is one kind of interface. There have been others.

    In any event, I had a GUI on my Commodore 64. It looked something like this one:

    GeOS_Commodore_64.gif
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •