Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 213

Thread: Oregon Ruling Marks 13th Straight Gay Marriage Win[W:48]

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    NE WI.
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 03:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,029

    Oregon Ruling Marks 13th Straight Gay Marriage Win[W:48]

    "A federal judge on Monday struck down Oregon's voter-approved ban on gay marriage, saying it is unconstitutional.

    U.S. District Judge Michael McShane said the ban unconstitutionally discriminates against same-sex couples and ordered the state not to enforce it. State officials earlier refused to defend the constitutional ban in court.
    McShane joined judges in seven other states who have struck down gay marriage bans, though appeals are underway.
    Oregon state officials have said they'd be prepared to carry out same-sex marriages almost immediately, and couples lined up outside the county clerk's office in Portland in anticipation of the McShane's decision." - Source

    It's the domino effect.

  2. #2
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: Oregon Ruling Marks 13th Straight Gay Marriage Win

    As a resident of Oregon, I was going to post this, but I got distracted and you beat me to it.

    This is great news. About 10 years ago SS, marriage was legal here in Oregon for a short period. The recipient of our daughter's heart (she was killed in a traffic accident) married his partner.


  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    NE WI.
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 03:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,029

    Re: Oregon Ruling Marks 13th Straight Gay Marriage Win

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    As a resident of Oregon, I was going to post this, but I got distracted and you beat me to it.

    This is great news. About 10 years ago SS, marriage was legal here in Oregon for a short period. The recipient of our daughter's heart (she was killed in a traffic accident) married his partner.
    Could you do me a favor? Go to the link I posted and tell me what the headline is? I seem to have been hijacked...and yes, it is Great news.

  4. #4
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    01-15-15 @ 03:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,578

    Re: Oregon Ruling Marks 13th Straight Gay Marriage Win

    Quote Originally Posted by Paxaeon View Post
    Could you do me a favor? Go to the link I posted and tell me what the headline is? I seem to have been hijacked...and yes, it is Great news.
    i think your link is working now. GReat news.

  5. #5
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,705

    Re: Oregon Ruling Marks 13th Straight Gay Marriage Win

    These sage judges suddenly realized that the 14th amendment, passed in 1868, means that SSM must be allowed.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    NE WI.
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 03:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,029

    Re: Oregon Ruling Marks 13th Straight Gay Marriage Win

    Quote Originally Posted by Paxaeon View Post
    Could you do me a favor? Go to the link I posted and tell me what the headline is? I seem to have been hijacked...and yes, it is Great news.

    This was the original I linked to;


    Apparently between the time I read the article and posted it, ABC changed the headline.

  7. #7
    Guru
    1750Texan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Southcental Texas
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 02:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,569

    Re: Oregon Ruling Marks 13th Straight Gay Marriage Win

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    These sage judges suddenly realized that the 14th amendment, passed in 1868, means that SSM must be allowed.
    No. The Constitution ratified in 1789 does that. The 14th and the 5th are both Right to Privacy and Equal Protection amendments. Both are used in conjuction as judicial reasoning.


  8. #8
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: Oregon Ruling Marks 13th Straight Gay Marriage Win

    Quote Originally Posted by Paxaeon View Post
    "A federal judge on Monday struck down Oregon's voter-approved ban on gay marriage, saying it is unconstitutional.

    U.S. District Judge Michael McShane said the ban unconstitutionally discriminates against same-sex couples and ordered the state not to enforce it. State officials earlier refused to defend the constitutional ban in court.
    McShane joined judges in seven other states who have struck down gay marriage bans, though appeals are underway.
    Oregon state officials have said they'd be prepared to carry out same-sex marriages almost immediately, and couples lined up outside the county clerk's office in Portland in anticipation of the McShane's decision." - Source

    It's the domino effect.
    This is not unexpected, Oregon is a very liberal state....It will be appealed.
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  9. #9
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: Oregon Ruling Marks 13th Straight Gay Marriage Win

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    These sage judges suddenly realized that the 14th amendment, passed in 1868, means that SSM must be allowed.
    Activist judges strike again. We shall see what the SCOTUS says about this.
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  10. #10
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Anagram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St. Louis MO
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    6,198

    Re: Oregon Ruling Marks 13th Straight Gay Marriage Win

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    This is not unexpected, Oregon is a very liberal state....It will be appealed.
    It actually looks like not. The governor and attorney general weren't defending the ban and both that court and the federal appeals court rejected the National Organization for Marriage's ability to defend the ban.

    Oregon Ruling Marks 13th Gay Marriage Win in a Row - ABC News
    There should be Instant Runoff Voting

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •