Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: AT&T reportedly nears announcement of $50bn DirecTV merger

  1. #1
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,078

    AT&T reportedly nears announcement of $50bn DirecTV merger

    Executives from AT&T and DirecTV were reportedly close to announcing a $50bn merger on Sunday, the latest in a series of media and telecoms deals that have rattled consumer groups and attracted regulatory scrutiny.

    The boards of DirecTV, the US’s largest satellite TV company, and AT&T, the second-largest wireless provider, were due to meet on Sunday to attempt to finalise details of the long-rumoured merger, according to BuzzFeed.


    With more than 20 million subscribers in the US and 18 million more in Latin America, DirecTV is the second-largest pay-TV provider behind Comcast, which is currently negotiating the takeover of its second biggest cable rival, Time Warner Cable (TWC).

    AT&T reportedly nears announcement of $50bn DirecTV merger | Business | theguardian.com
    here's another one that shouldn't be allowed to happen, IMO.

  2. #2
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: AT&T reportedly nears announcement of $50bn DirecTV merger

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    here's another one that shouldn't be allowed to happen, IMO.
    Although I own a whole bunch of AT&T stock and hope it does well, I HATE the business model of cable companies. Here I am, a loyal customer, paying more than a new start-up customer who may just as easily end up stiffing them after three months. The industry needs regulation. Land lines and, yes, even cell phones, aren't treated in the way cable TV rates are. I think it's slimy.

  3. #3
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,078

    Re: AT&T reportedly nears announcement of $50bn DirecTV merger

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Although I own a whole bunch of AT&T stock and hope it does well, I HATE the business model of cable companies. Here I am, a loyal customer, paying more than a new start-up customer who may just as easily end up stiffing them after three months. The industry needs regulation. Land lines and, yes, even cell phones, aren't treated in the way cable TV rates are. I think it's slimy.
    i just think we'd be a whole lot better off with more competition, not less. competition is a big driver of the innovation of great products and lower prices.

  4. #4
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,857
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: AT&T reportedly nears announcement of $50bn DirecTV merger

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    here's another one that shouldn't be allowed to happen, IMO.
    I agree, seems like more and more large companies are getting bigger and bigger by buying out and merging with other companies. When one large company buys out another large company its 10 times worse. The whole thing smells of monopoly big time.

    I should also note that I'm getting real tired of large companies breaking off a part of their company and putting it under a new name yet still getting the profits and all other benefits of that company just to avoid the monopoly laws.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  5. #5
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: AT&T reportedly nears announcement of $50bn DirecTV merger

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    i just think we'd be a whole lot better off with more competition, not less. competition is a big driver of the innovation of great products and lower prices.
    I don't disagree with you, but it is more like a utility than anything else. It needs regulation. It's hard to have competition when you need hard lines. Here in Illinois we have all these bitsy companies trying to take business away from ComEd (hard lines, of course) because of deregulation requiring ComEd to lease their lines. Half of those bitsy companies are scams. When companies need lines into your home, I just don't see how they can be anything but regulated. (Direct TV, of course, is different.)

  6. #6
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,089

    Re: AT&T reportedly nears announcement of $50bn DirecTV merger

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    I don't disagree with you, but it is more like a utility than anything else. It needs regulation. It's hard to have competition when you need hard lines. Here in Illinois we have all these bitsy companies trying to take business away from ComEd (hard lines, of course) because of deregulation requiring ComEd to lease their lines. Half of those bitsy companies are scams. When companies need lines into your home, I just don't see how they can be anything but regulated. (Direct TV, of course, is different.)
    It is simple.. in Europe it is a requirement for the landline company (usually the former state monopoly) to lease out capacity to the competition. That alone has created masses of competition on the landline and driven prices down. It has also caused competition on internet services. Varies from country to country and dependent on infrastructure of course.

    As for this deal and the TimeWarner/Comcast... horrible idea. They should not merge but in fact be split up!
    PeteEU

  7. #7
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: AT&T reportedly nears announcement of $50bn DirecTV merger

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    It is simple.. in Europe it is a requirement for the landline company (usually the former state monopoly) to lease out capacity to the competition. That alone has created masses of competition on the landline and driven prices down. It has also caused competition on internet services. Varies from country to country and dependent on infrastructure of course.

    As for this deal and the TimeWarner/Comcast... horrible idea. They should not merge but in fact be split up!
    Just curious...I can get a landline with unlimited local calling and long distance for $40 (which includes the taxes). The line has call waiting, voice mail, caller I.D., no-charge inside line maintenance etc. What does your home phone cost?

  8. #8
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,078

    Re: AT&T reportedly nears announcement of $50bn DirecTV merger

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    It is simple.. in Europe it is a requirement for the landline company (usually the former state monopoly) to lease out capacity to the competition. That alone has created masses of competition on the landline and driven prices down. It has also caused competition on internet services. Varies from country to country and dependent on infrastructure of course.

    As for this deal and the TimeWarner/Comcast... horrible idea. They should not merge but in fact be split up!
    I agree.

  9. #9
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:14 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,057

    Re: AT&T reportedly nears announcement of $50bn DirecTV merger

    It now makes sense why Jerry Jones sold naming rights to AT&T for a bargain rate to his high-tech mega stadium.

  10. #10
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,767

    Re: AT&T reportedly nears announcement of $50bn DirecTV merger

    Another step closer to a monopoly on information exchange,
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •