Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Rogers explains why it came last in Netflix rankings

  1. #1
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,018

    Rogers explains why it came last in Netflix rankings

    https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/ro...203012953.html

    Later that day, Keith McArthur, vice-president of social media for Rogers Communications, posted on the company's Redboard blog that the speed results "only apply to customers’ specific Netflix connection and not overall internet speeds," which were much faster. He added that the test was conducted "just before we virtually doubled Netflix capacity."


    That led some people to speculate that Rogers might be throttling or deliberately slowing down Netflix as part of its internet traffic management practices. If that were the case, it would be required to disclose the practice under Canadian net neutrality rules.


    Rogers's social media team responded both on its blog and on Twitter that "We absolutely do not throttle traffic on our network."


    University of Ottawa law professor Michael Geist, who specializes in issues related to the internet, wrote on his blog Tuesday that Rogers's responses "raise troubling questions about how Rogers manages its network and whether the slow Netflix speeds could have been used to create a competitive advantage for its own online video services."
    There will be hell to pay if congress lets US companies restrict access to the internet or slow down speeds for certain websites. It's already starting in Canada and it's only a matter of time before internet users let the government know that companies don't get to charge us for 100Mbps and then slow down certain websites. Companies don't get to tell us which perfectly legal sites we can visit and how fast we can navigate them. We're not China. We won't put up with this kind of bs.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  2. #2
    Resident Martian ;)
    PirateMk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    9,920

    Re: Rogers explains why it came last in Netflix rankings

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/ro...203012953.html



    There will be hell to pay if congress lets US companies restrict access to the internet or slow down speeds for certain websites. It's already starting in Canada and it's only a matter of time before internet users let the government know that companies don't get to charge us for 100Mbps and then slow down certain websites. Companies don't get to tell us which perfectly legal sites we can visit and how fast we can navigate them. We're not China. We won't put up with this kind of bs.
    I agree. I pay for the access to the internet and the speed with which I travel it. I expect my contract to be fulfilled. Just like I don't buy buckets of internet I buy a pipeline and I expect that pipeline to be able to handle at full capacity I require my traffic needs. This net neutrality argument is bs its simply the internet service providers trying to get more money on the same traffic. Netflix pays for its access. The customers pay for their access. The ISP need to connect them per their contract not extort people.
    Semper Fidelis, Semper Liber.
    I spit at lots of people through my computer screen. Not only does it "teach them a lesson" but it keeps the screen clean and shiny.
    Stolen fair and square from the Capt. Courtesey himself.

  3. #3
    Preserve Protect Defend
    Beaudreaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Covfefe, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,566

    Re: Rogers explains why it came last in Netflix rankings

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/ro...203012953.html



    There will be hell to pay if congress lets US companies restrict access to the internet or slow down speeds for certain websites. It's already starting in Canada and it's only a matter of time before internet users let the government know that companies don't get to charge us for 100Mbps and then slow down certain websites. Companies don't get to tell us which perfectly legal sites we can visit and how fast we can navigate them. We're not China. We won't put up with this kind of bs.
    Agree COMPLETELY!!! And, given that it's you and me agreeing when we are usually on opposite sides of almost everything, it shows that the Congress and the FCC (they should change the "F" from Federal to F***ed to be more accurate) are treading down a dangerous road here.

  4. #4
    Sit Nomine Digna
    Carjosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,150

    Re: Rogers explains why it came last in Netflix rankings

    Well the difference here is that the CRTC will do something about it if we annoy them enough. I would also like to see net neutrality amended to the U.S. constitution and our Charter, I really do think we need to add digital rights to the charter.

  5. #5
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,018

    Re: Rogers explains why it came last in Netflix rankings

    Quote Originally Posted by Beaudreaux View Post
    Agree COMPLETELY!!! And, given that it's you and me agreeing when we are usually on opposite sides of almost everything, it shows that the Congress and the FCC (they should change the "F" from Federal to F***ed to be more accurate) are treading down a dangerous road here.
    The biggest argument in favor of this type of nonsense is that the market will correct itself if it is tried. Utter nonsense. It's already an established fact that internet providers act like Mexican cartels. They've divided themselves the CUS and gouged the living **** out of customers through price collusion and oligarchic policies. Why would they ever correct this if they don't have to? Comcast? AT&T? Verizon? The companies constantly criticized for ****ing over their customers are the ones who will correct themselves? Right, because if the only provider in your area is Comcast you'll what? Move? Get another non-existent provider?
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  6. #6
    Preserve Protect Defend
    Beaudreaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Covfefe, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,566

    Re: Rogers explains why it came last in Netflix rankings

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    The biggest argument in favor of this type of nonsense is that the market will correct itself if it is tried. Utter nonsense. It's already an established fact that internet providers act like Mexican cartels. They've divided themselves the CUS and gouged the living **** out of customers through price collusion and oligarchic policies. Why would they ever correct this if they don't have to? Comcast? AT&T? Verizon? The companies constantly criticized for ****ing over their customers are the ones who will correct themselves? Right, because if the only provider in your area is Comcast you'll what? Move? Get another non-existent provider?
    This is a situation where we need true net neutrality. Almost the absence of government regulation other than to ensure that everyone has equal access, including content providers and customers of ISP's get what you pay for.

    What really pisses me off is that companies like Netflix have to PAY to get their site FULL ACCESS at full speeds. And if they don't pay, they get throttled, or even if they pay, an ISP that also has a competing service (like movies) can still throttle them to make them less competitive. That's not a free market. That needs to be fixed, not made worse.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    01-03-16 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,761

    Re: Rogers explains why it came last in Netflix rankings

    Quote Originally Posted by Carjosse View Post
    Well the difference here is that the CRTC will do something about it if we annoy them enough. I would also like to see net neutrality amended to the U.S. constitution and our Charter, I really do think we need to add digital rights to the charter.
    Just a new set of rights for government to ignore.

  8. #8
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,063

    Re: Rogers explains why it came last in Netflix rankings

    sites like our own would suffer if net neutrality ended. it is all kinds of ****ed up that any DP member would support this.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •