Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 235

Thread: Russia and China Move Into Central America

  1. #181
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,756

    Re: Russia and China Move Into Central America

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    You may think you understand America's foreign policy but you certainly don't understand the foreign policy of other countries. Similarly, you have no idea what the Russian, Chinese or other groups elsewhere think. This is clear from your comments, and very common in America today. The Europeans have claimed it has always been this way but I doubt it was ever as bad as it is now..
    The foreign policy of other countries is irrelevant. American foreign policy should reflect American values, not foreign values.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  2. #182
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Russia and China Move Into Central America

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    The foreign policy of other countries is irrelevant. American foreign policy should reflect American values, not foreign values.
    And which American values are you referring too?

    This is really the first time I've heard that the foreign policy of other countries was 'irrelevant", but that seem to be the America we have today.

  3. #183
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Russia and China Move Into Central America

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    Having once been the worlds biggest creditor nation, and becoming the worlds largest debtor nation, is decline indeed. Having once had the best education system, that now ranks 10th or 12th, is decline indeed, granting amnesty to people who found their way into our country illegally, is decline to be sure, Obama administration foreign policy in the ME is decline certainly. But there are systemic problems that are driving this, not one party.
    It is systematic and, for the foreseeable future, irreversible. I notice that many Americans have already just given up on their country and it's a difficult psychological transition for many of them to make, particularly for the older ones who remember the America that was..

  4. #184
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Russia and China Move Into Central America

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    And which American values are you referring too?

    This is really the first time I've heard that the foreign policy of other countries was 'irrelevant", but that seem to be the America we have today.
    Sense I agreed with his comment, I'll answer that one too. In the context of US foreign policy, how we conduct ourselves when engaging other countries, the FP of Russia and China (in this case) is irrelevant. For example, were not going to excuse the US propping up a dictator in Latin America, or supporting militant Islamic groups in the Middle East, just because Russia and China may have done the same, not as bad, or worse. That, would be irrelevant.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  5. #185
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Russia and China Move Into Central America

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    Sense I agreed with his comment, I'll answer that one too. In the context of US foreign policy, how we conduct ourselves when engaging other countries, the FP of Russia and China (in this case) is irrelevant. For example, were not going to excuse the US propping up a dictator in Latin America, or supporting militant Islamic groups in the Middle East, just because Russia and China may have done the same, not as bad, or worse. That, would be irrelevant.
    This is quite a common error from those who don't follow international politics very closely.

    Not all dictators are the same. Some are more benevolent than others, some merciless on their people. Every country everywhere eventually has to have a dictator of some sort as an ally, even in the United Nations. For any American to believe they are above this sort of thing, what many call 'Diplomacy' in fact, is what puts Americans in a very difficult, and hypocritical, position.

  6. #186
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Russia and China Move Into Central America

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    This is quite a common error from those who don't follow international politics very closely.

    Not all dictators are the same. Some are more benevolent than others, some merciless on their people. Every country everywhere eventually has to have a dictator of some sort as an ally, even in the United Nations. For any American to believe they are above this sort of thing, what many call 'Diplomacy' in fact, is what puts Americans in a very difficult, and hypocritical, position.
    Oh I see, America only supports the "good" dictators!! Still have time to edit that post?? And again your presumptive arrogance doesn't invite debate. Why don't you try staying away from the personal insults. I think we all follow both domestic and international politics, or else we'd have no interest in places such as this.
    Last edited by Montecresto; 07-10-14 at 04:49 PM.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  7. #187
    Imposition of miscellany
    NoC_T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    11-25-17 @ 04:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,193

    Re: Russia and China Move Into Central America

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    This is quite important and yet no one seems to be talking about it. I live mostly in Costa Rica but often visit Nicaragua and what's happening there is huge.



    How would George Kennan respond to Nicaragua
    Intriguing.

    It's like....a slightly skewed mirror image of American post-war foreign policy. Oooh! A kaleidoscope of paranoia, hypocrisy and equal reaction. Jolly tessellations of karma....

  8. #188
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Russia and China Move Into Central America

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    Oh I see, America only supports the "good" dictators!! Still have time to edit that post?? And again your presumptive arrogance doesn't invite debate. Why don't you try staying away from the personal insults. I think we all follow both domestic and international politics, or else we'd have no interest in places such as this.
    I can never edit my posts sufficiently if you're going to misquote them. Don't translate them to something you want me to say and there might be a possibility for debate.

  9. #189
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Russia and China Move Into Central America

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    I can never edit my posts sufficiently if you're going to misquote them. Don't translate them to something you want me to say and there might be a possibility for debate.
    Benevolent,

    a : marked by or disposed to doing good <a benevolent donor>
    b : organized for the purpose of doing good <a benevolent society>
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  10. #190
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Russia and China Move Into Central America

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    The foreign policy of other countries is irrelevant. American foreign policy should reflect American values, not foreign values.
    Hilarious. If a conservative were to say that the liberal chorus would be screaming American exceptionalism trumps all, right? Other cultures aren't allowed to have values that conflict with ours? Foreign policy is meant to deal with those other cultures that, like it not, exist.

Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •