Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Hood Disease: Inner City Oakland Youth Suffering From Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder

  1. #1
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Hood Disease: Inner City Oakland Youth Suffering From Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder

    At first I thought, "not another made up diagnosis for social neurosis". But after reading about the amount of violence people are exposed to in inner cities, I wonder if some form of PTSD isn't possible? It certainly happens in war zones, though I doubt the levels of stress are comparable with something like an Iraq or Syria?


    In the inner city, a health problem is making it harder for young people to learn. The Centers for Disease Control said 30 percent of inner city kids suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

    The CDC said these children often live in virtual war zones. Doctors at Harvard said they actually suffer from a more complex form of PTSD that some call “hood disease.”

    Unlike soldiers, children in the inner city never leave the combat zone. They often experience trauma, repeatedly.

    Gun violence is only one of the traumas or stressors in concentrated areas of deep poverty.

    “Its kids are unsafe, they’re not well fed,” Duncan-Andrade said. “And when you start stacking those kids of stressors on top of each other, that’s when you get these kinds of negative health outcomes that seriously disrupt school performance.”

    Hood Disease: Inner City Oakland Youth Suffering From Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder « CBS San Francisco
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  2. #2
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Hood Disease: Inner City Oakland Youth Suffering From Post-Traumatic Stress Disor

    I think it should be obvious that many kids growing up in what's tantamount to a war zone get PTSD. It's unfortunate that many of the schools in those areas aren't provided with the resources necessary for educating students who come to school with these issues.

  3. #3
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,319

    Re: Hood Disease: Inner City Oakland Youth Suffering From Post-Traumatic Stress Disor

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    At first I thought, "not another made up diagnosis for social neurosis". But after reading about the amount of violence people are exposed to in inner cities, I wonder if some form of PTSD isn't possible? It certainly happens in war zones, though I doubt the levels of stress are comparable with something like an Iraq or Syria?





    Hood Disease: Inner City Oakland Youth Suffering From Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder « CBS San Francisco
    Chicago begs to differ.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  4. #4
    Guru

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,941

    Re: Hood Disease: Inner City Oakland Youth Suffering From Post-Traumatic Stress Disor

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    I think it should be obvious that many kids growing up in what's tantamount to a war zone get PTSD. It's unfortunate that many of the schools in those areas aren't provided with the resources necessary for educating students who come to school with these issues.
    The problem with this is that only someone who has never actually been in a war zone and seen combat would claim that any city in the US is a virtual war zone. Are there bad parts of cities and does that cause major issues for those kids living there. Of that I have no doubt but one thing that they are not is war zones.
    President Franklin Roosevelt eulogized a fallen American Soldier by saying, “He stands in the unbroken line of patriots who have dared to die [that] freedom might live, and grow, and increase its blessings. Freedom lives, and through it he lives--in a way that humbles the undertakings of most men."

  5. #5
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Hood Disease: Inner City Oakland Youth Suffering From Post-Traumatic Stress Disor

    Quote Originally Posted by braindrain View Post
    The problem with this is that only someone who has never actually been in a war zone and seen combat would claim that any city in the US is a virtual war zone. Are there bad parts of cities and does that cause major issues for those kids living there. Of that I have no doubt but one thing that they are not is war zones.
    Well, most of these places are actually literal war zones since gang wars are going on, but whatevs.

  6. #6
    Guru

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,941

    Re: Hood Disease: Inner City Oakland Youth Suffering From Post-Traumatic Stress Disor

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Well, most of these places are actually literal war zones since gang wars are going on, but whatevs.
    No they are not. The whole gang war thing is as much made up BS as the war on drugs.

  7. #7
    Guru

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Nevada
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,838

    Re: Hood Disease: Inner City Oakland Youth Suffering From Post-Traumatic Stress Disor

    One thing that is causing immense stress to blacks in Oakland, LA and other traditional black neighborhoods is that the Mexicans and the Asiatic races are running them out of their homes, neighborhoods and cities. The Liberals pretend not to notice so that they won't have to reveal that their new allegiance is to the immigrants, but the blacks literally have no place to go that they can afford or feel at home. Like whites in America, they have no political voice regarding this issue.

    The Liberals are putting California through a wholesale ethnic cleansing and the blacks are the losers.

  8. #8
    dangerously addictive
    americanwoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    17,435

    Re: Hood Disease: Inner City Oakland Youth Suffering From Post-Traumatic Stress Disor

    Quote Originally Posted by braindrain View Post
    No they are not. The whole gang war thing is as much made up BS as the war on drugs.

    If you don't think there is no gang violence related to the illegal drug market and the fight or war against each other to control it, I don't know what to say.


    The War On Drugs At A Glance | LEAP

    The Department of Justice says that the illegal drug market in the U.S. is dominated by 900,000 criminally active gang members affiliated with 20,000 street gangs in more than 2,500 cities
    I call my own shots, largely based on an accumulation of data, and everyone knows it.
    _____________________________________________

  9. #9
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:47 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,706

    Re: Hood Disease: Inner City Oakland Youth Suffering From Post-Traumatic Stress Disor

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    At first I thought, "not another made up diagnosis for social neurosis". But after reading about the amount of violence people are exposed to in inner cities, I wonder if some form of PTSD isn't possible? It certainly happens in war zones, though I doubt the levels of stress are comparable with something like an Iraq or Syria?





    Hood Disease: Inner City Oakland Youth Suffering From Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder « CBS San Francisco
    oakland is a warzone. where if you wear the wrong color of clothes for that day you can be shot for no reason.
    it is a gang fest over there.

    what is sad is that if these gangs put half the effort of working with each other to build up the communittee and less time shooting each other they could do really good things for the city and the people in it.

    no they would rather kill someone.

  10. #10
    Guru

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,941

    Re: Hood Disease: Inner City Oakland Youth Suffering From Post-Traumatic Stress Disor

    Quote Originally Posted by americanwoman View Post
    If you don't think there is no gang violence related to the illegal drug market and the fight or war against each other to control it, I don't know what to say.


    The War On Drugs At A Glance | LEAP
    Please tell me where I said there was no violence. Is there really anyone who says there is not. What I said was that no city in the US was a virtual war zone. Only people who have never been to war would think the two are similar.

    There is a very real difference between a war and gangs or drug dealers violence. The word war is just used to try an sensationalize it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •