Page 39 of 42 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast
Results 381 to 390 of 414

Thread: Town's White Police Official Calls Obama N-Word [W:301]

  1. #381
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Town's White Police Official Calls Obama N-Word [W:301]

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Perhaps many Asians would disagree.
    Don't think so. A lot of them reject the "model minority" stereotype perpetuated by white people since it's a myth and it ultimately hurts them.

    I Am Not a Model Minority | Opinion | The Harvard Crimson

  2. #382
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,650

    Re: Town's White Police Official Calls Obama N-Word [W:301]

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Don't think so. A lot of them reject the "model minority" stereotype perpetuated by white people since it's a myth and it ultimately hurts them.

    I Am Not a Model Minority | Opinion | The Harvard Crimson
    Are you kidding me? One minute you are lumping all (privileged) whites and (put upon) blacks into neat little stereotypes and then present a single Asian American complaining that they are expected to have an advantage (is that anything like white privilege?).

    From your link:

    Looking closely, one can see that the Asian-American model minority myth is simply that: a myth. While Asian Americans earn higher median household incomes than whites, blacks, and Hispanics/Latinos, these statistics obscure the fact that Asian-American families include multiple earners (white vs. Asian American per capita income is close; household income is not), likely the result of the many generations living under one roof and the retirement savings of elders. Southeast Asian Americans drop out of high school at an alarming rate; nearly 40 percent of Hmong Americans, 38 percent of Laotian Americans, and 35 percent of Cambodian Americans fail to finish high school. These Asian-American subgroups, along with Vietnamese Americans, earn below the national average.
    Those darned Asians are actually living together, as extended families, and passing on that work ethic and helping themselves with savings! This errant behavior must be stopped - don't they know how to express the need for gov't assistance like the good Southeastern Asian Americans do?
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  3. #383
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Town's White Police Official Calls Obama N-Word [W:301]

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Are you kidding me? One minute you are lumping all (privileged) whites and (put upon) blacks into neat little stereotypes and then present a single Asian American complaining that they are expected to have an advantage (is that anything like white privilege?).
    I don't lump people into stereotypes. I tell the truth about patterns within groups. And if you want more examples of Asians rejecting the ultimately white supremacist myth of Asians as the "model minority", here you go. /shrug

    Asian Americans and the 'model minority' myth*-*Los Angeles Times
    Asian Americans Respond to Pew: We’re Not Your Model Minority - COLORLINES
    Five ways the myth of the “model minority” hurts all of us
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/10/ed...ians.html?_r=0

    Plenty more where that come from. Not that you'll use it to educate yourself, LOL.

  4. #384
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,650

    Re: Town's White Police Official Calls Obama N-Word [W:301]

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    I don't lump people into stereotypes. I tell the truth about patterns within groups. And if you want more examples of Asians rejecting the ultimately white supremacist myth of Asians as the "model minority", here you go. /shrug

    Asian Americans and the 'model minority' myth*-*Los Angeles Times
    Asian Americans Respond to Pew: We’re Not Your Model Minority - COLORLINES
    Five ways the myth of the “model minority” hurts all of us
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/10/ed...ians.html?_r=0

    Plenty more where that come from. Not that you'll use it to educate yourself, LOL.
    So did I, using your original link, at that.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  5. #385
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    15,538

    Re: Town's White Police Official Calls Obama N-Word [W:301]

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    I don't lump people into stereotypes. I tell the truth about patterns within groups. And if you want more examples of Asians rejecting the ultimately white supremacist myth of Asians as the "model minority", here you go. /shrug

    Asian Americans and the 'model minority' myth*-*Los Angeles Times
    Asian Americans Respond to Pew: We’re Not Your Model Minority - COLORLINES
    Five ways the myth of the “model minority” hurts all of us
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/10/ed...ians.html?_r=0

    Plenty more where that come from. Not that you'll use it to educate yourself, LOL.
    You never did answer my question - what do you believe must be done in order to minimize racism in America? What's your plan?
    “To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what he’s doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

  6. #386
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Town's White Police Official Calls Obama N-Word [W:301]

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    You never did answer my question - what do you believe must be done in order to minimize racism in America? What's your plan?
    Why are you still asking me questions like I haven't already designated you a lost cause?

  7. #387
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Town's White Police Official Calls Obama N-Word [W:301]

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    So did I, using your original link, at that.
    Eh, your analysis of the first article is a good example of confirmation bias. When you receive new information, instead of actually comprehending the new information and altering your worldview, you twist it in order to fit it into and maintain your erroneous worldview.

  8. #388
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,650

    Re: Town's White Police Official Calls Obama N-Word [W:301]

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Eh, your analysis of the first article is a good example of confirmation bias. When you receive new information, instead of actually comprehending the new information and altering your worldview, you twist it in order to fit it into and maintain your erroneous worldview.
    Not so. Just as most US blacks are not on welfare, committing crimes or lacking a HS education most whites are not supremacists that expect US Asians to be smart or "model minorities". I did not analyze that article I quoted directly from it.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  9. #389
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    15,538

    Re: Town's White Police Official Calls Obama N-Word [W:301]

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Why are you still asking me questions like I haven't already designated you a lost cause?
    Really? That's too bad. Frankly, I think the reason you gave up is because I asked you a hard question, one that cannot be answered quite so easily, and you knew that any answer that you gave to that question would put you in a difficult position, considering what you have previously stated.

    But that's your choice.

    As for myself, I refuse to not answer an earnest question - I expect people to answer my questions, and if I refuse to answer someone else's questions, then that would make me a hypocrite. If a question's made with sarcasm or spite, then I can ignore it - but I won't ignore an earnest question. How about you?
    “To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what he’s doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

  10. #390
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Town's White Police Official Calls Obama N-Word [W:301]

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    Really? That's too bad. Frankly, I think the reason you gave up is because I asked you a hard question, one that cannot be answered quite so easily, and you knew that any answer that you gave to that question would put you in a difficult position, considering what you have previously stated.

    But that's your choice.

    As for myself, I refuse to not answer an earnest question - I expect people to answer my questions, and if I refuse to answer someone else's questions, then that would make me a hypocrite. If a question's made with sarcasm or spite, then I can ignore it - but I won't ignore an earnest question. How about you?
    You have control issues.

Page 39 of 42 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •