Page 36 of 42 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast
Results 351 to 360 of 414

Thread: Town's White Police Official Calls Obama N-Word [W:301]

  1. #351
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: Town's White Police Official Calls Obama N-Word [W:301]

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Stories like this just make me laugh because of how absurd the racists are. Even so, it's unfortunate that this guy is a Police Commissioner considering that the amount of power he has probably means that a fair amount of black people have been held back from jobs and promotions because of him. There's probably also been a fair amount of racism in police activity in his area due to him as well. That is the saddest part of this.

    That said, the kind of racism demonstrated by stories like this is not the type of racism that concerns me. Such overt racism is mostly a relic of the past and it's literally dying out. What concerns me is the pervasive form of racism in our society that is more covert, or subtle. I'm talking about the type of racism expressed by the vast majority of white Americans where they tell denigrating racist jokes in one breath and then claim to be colorblind in the next.
    I agree with 99% of your post. I would, however, disagree that the vast majority of white Americans are "racist" towards minorities. I actually believe that the vast majority of Americans, be they white, brown, black or whatever...are good people who don't hold racist views. There are, however, still a large number who do...and I agree that it isn't the overt racism that is the concern, it is the more subversive subtle racism that takes place.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  2. #352
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,034

    Re: Town's White Police Official Calls Obama N-Word [W:301]

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    I'm sorry if the concept of racism is beyond your grasp. It means more than name calling. Good luck and good day.
    You too, and please let me know when you're ready to tell me about these powers I have here in NH. I can't wait to find out about them.

  3. #353
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,325

    Re: Town's White Police Official Calls Obama N-Word [W:301]

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    You too, and please let me know when you're ready to tell me about these powers I have here in NH. I can't wait to find out about them.
    I've already explained to you how you use your power to support racism in America. I gave you a detailed list of what you do and how it oppresses others. If that cannot help you, then you are determined to remain ignorant about what racism really is and what it really means.

    It's amazing that someone could go through life thinking racism means name calling. No social awareness at all. Staggering.

  4. #354
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,034

    Re: Town's White Police Official Calls Obama N-Word [W:301]

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    I've already explained to you how you use your power to support racism in America. I gave you a detailed list of what you do and how it oppresses others. If that cannot help you, then you are determined to remain ignorant about what racism really is and what it really means.

    It's amazing that someone can go through life thinking that racism means name calling.
    Who did that man oppress? You still haven't come up with one example of his acts of oppression. And there are no accusations of oppression against him or the police commission.

    Was it you? Someone you know? Because if he oppressed someone, nobody else seems to know about it.

    I know what racism is. Like you, I went to school and learned about the terrible things that happened to minorities in this country's history.

    Does it always upset you when someone calls someone else a name? It only upsets me when it's coming from someone who can impact my life, like an elected Congressman who utters his not-veiled dislike for white people. I don't worry about who likes me who can't impact my life at all. I also don't cry when people call women nasty names. Does that upset you too, or do you not care about women being maligned verbally?

  5. #355
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,325

    Re: Town's White Police Official Calls Obama N-Word [W:301]

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    I also don't cry when people call women nasty names. Does that upset you too, or do you not care about women being maligned verbally?
    Unlike you, I oppose sexism. Which, of course, can only be perpetuated by the majority power (in this case, men).

    I'll answer the question you will ask. Can a black man be sexist? Yes.
    Last edited by ecofarm; 05-23-14 at 07:27 PM.

  6. #356
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Town's White Police Official Calls Obama N-Word [W:301]

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    I agree with 99% of your post. I would, however, disagree that the vast majority of white Americans are "racist" towards minorities. I actually believe that the vast majority of Americans, be they white, brown, black or whatever...are good people who don't hold racist views. There are, however, still a large number who do...and I agree that it isn't the overt racism that is the concern, it is the more subversive subtle racism that takes place.
    1. "Good people" can be racist. In fact, I would argue that the vast majority of white racists today are "good people."http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/07/op...ople.html?_r=0

    2. Research confirms that the vast majority of white Americans are racist. Most white Americans are passive racists who see the world through an ideology of "colorblind racism". They don't use racial epithets and try to use "PC" language in order to avoid the appearance of being a racist, but then they tell racist jokes, denigrate people of color who object to such jokes, pontificate on the mythical "poor culture" of black Americans, seek out communities that are primarily/exclusively white, move out of communities that people of color are moving into and exhibit many other behaviors that are either actively racist or that passively sustain racism in our society.

    3. Now, are there some white people who have risen above the racist attitudes that they were conditioned to adopt in our white supremacist society? Absolutely. But again, the vast majority of white Americans have not gotten that far, presumably because getting that far would require them to abandon many of the myths that they cling to: the myths of meritocracy, blacks' "bad culture", the low impact of racism on people of color, their own innocence and so on.

  7. #357
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Town's White Police Official Calls Obama N-Word [W:301]

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    You too, and please let me know when you're ready to tell me about these powers I have here in NH. I can't wait to find out about them.
    You won't be able to understand the power you have as a white person until you are able to see yourself, not just as an individual, but also as a member of system that favors whiteness over all other colors.

  8. #358
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: Town's White Police Official Calls Obama N-Word [W:301]

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    1. "Good people" can be racist. In fact, I would argue that the vast majority of white racists today are "good people."http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/07/op...ople.html?_r=0

    2. Research confirms that the vast majority of white Americans are racist. Most white Americans are passive racists who see the world through an ideology of "colorblind racism". They don't use racial epithets and try to use "PC" language in order to avoid the appearance of being a racist, but then they tell racist jokes, denigrate people of color who object to such jokes, pontificate on the mythical "poor culture" of black Americans, seek out communities that are primarily/exclusively white, move out of communities that people of color are moving into and exhibit many other behaviors that are either actively racist or that passively sustain racism in our society.

    3. Now, are there some white people who have risen above the racist attitudes that they were conditioned to adopt in our white supremacist society? Absolutely. But again, the vast majority of white Americans have not gotten that far, presumably because getting that far would require them to abandon many of the myths that they cling to: the myths of meritocracy, blacks' "bad culture", the low impact of racism on people of color, their own innocence and so on.
    I'm sorry....but I don't agree at all. Starting from #1 - I don't think good people can be racist. Being racist infects the entire soul of the person. While they might be good people in some areas...they have a rotten core.

    As for #2 - I don't know what "research" you are referring to. I can only go by my experiences. Most people (white, black,brown) in my experience don't use racial epithets. Most do not tell racist jokes (I can't even remember the last time I heard someone tell a racist joke). I don't know of anyone who moved out of a neighborhood because people of color moved in, nor do I know of anyone who specifically sought out a primarily "white" community because it was primarily white.

    Are there white racists out there? Absolutely. Are there black racists out there? Absolutely....are there Asian racists? Absolutely. I would even give you that there are probably more white racists than other groups, primarily because whites on the whole are less likely to have experienced being a victim of racism. However, as for your contention that the vast majority of whites are racist, I am going to have to disagree. I find that position quite ludicrous.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  9. #359
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Town's White Police Official Calls Obama N-Word [W:301]

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    I'm sorry....but I don't agree at all.
    Don't apologize to me for your ignorance.

    Starting from #1 - I don't think good people can be racist. Being racist infects the entire soul of the person. While they might be good people in some areas...they have a rotten core.
    No, that is a myth that white Americans have crafted about racism that allows them to maintain a positive self-image. "If being a racist means that I'm a bad person, then I can't be a racist because I know that I'm a good person." It's that kind of attitude from "good people" that sustains racism in this society because it ensures that the vast majority of racists won't ever examine and deal with their own racism.

    As for #2 - I don't know what "research" you are referring to. I can only go by my experiences. Most people (white, black,brown) in my experience don't use racial epithets. Most do not tell racist jokes (I can't even remember the last time I heard someone tell a racist joke). I don't know of anyone who moved out of a neighborhood because people of color moved in, nor do I know of anyone who specifically sought out a primarily "white" community because it was primarily white.
    I'm referring to the decades of academic research done on race and racism that I have read and you apparently have not.

    Here's a start:

    http://osil.psy.ua.edu/~Rosanna/Soc_...20schwartz.pdf
    Racism without Racists: Color-Blind Racism and the Persistence of Racial ... - Eduardo Bonilla-Silva - Google Books

    Are there white racists out there? Absolutely. Are there black racists out there? Absolutely....are there Asian racists? Absolutely. I would even give you that there are probably more white racists than other groups, primarily because whites on the whole are less likely to have experienced being a victim of racism. However, as for your contention that the vast majority of whites are racist, I am going to have to disagree. I find that position quite ludicrous.
    You find it ludicrous because you're ignorant. The FACT is that the vast majority of white Americans are racist, but because white Americans control all power structures in the United States, the myth that most white people are not racist will persist. It's in their interest after all.

  10. #360
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: Town's White Police Official Calls Obama N-Word [W:301]

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Don't apologize to me for your ignorance.


    No, that is a myth that white Americans have crafted about racism that allows them to maintain a positive self-image. "If being a racist means that I'm a bad person, then I can't be a racist because I know that I'm a good person." It's that kind of attitude from "good people" that sustains racism in this society because it ensures that the vast majority of racists won't ever examine and deal with their own racism.


    I'm referring to the decades of academic research done on race and racism that I have read and you apparently have not.

    Here's a start:

    http://osil.psy.ua.edu/~Rosanna/Soc_...20schwartz.pdf
    Racism without Racists: Color-Blind Racism and the Persistence of Racial ... - Eduardo Bonilla-Silva - Google Books


    You find it ludicrous because you're ignorant. The FACT is that the vast majority of white Americans are racist, but because white Americans control all power structures in the United States, the myth that most white people are not racist will persist. It's in their interest after all.
    LOL.....you want to call me "ignorant" because I disagree with your assertions? Sorry, but I studied Human Behavior and graduated with a BS in Sociology and a minor in Psychology before I went to Law School....so I think I might know a little bit about social behavior and social structure. Probably more than you do.

    You obviously have your ingrained views that you believe and no one is going to dispel you of those beliefs. I'm sorry that you believe the way that you do. Maybe some real world experience and education will dispel some of those myths. Good luck.
    Last edited by disneydude; 05-23-14 at 08:06 PM.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

Page 36 of 42 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •