Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast
Results 281 to 290 of 312

Thread: Kidnapped Nigerian Girls

  1. #281
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: Kidnapped Nigerian Girls

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Does not change the fact that the web campaign did no harm. In fact, it's even better that it's already out there. Thank goodness for the internet!
    I rather suspect it did. It provided a costless and resultless means for people to feel that they had "done their part", thereby draining away support from efforts that might have actually helped the girls.

  2. #282
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Kidnapped Nigerian Girls

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    I rather suspect it did. It provided a costless and resultless means for people to feel that they had "done their part", thereby draining away support from efforts that might have actually helped the girls.
    That's not true at all. You make it sound as if people can only pay attention to ONE website, and because they offer support means they have done NOTHING else, and that's not the case.

  3. #283
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: Kidnapped Nigerian Girls

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    That's not true at all. You make it sound as if people can only pay attention to ONE website, and because they offer support means they have done NOTHING else, and that's not the case.
    Only one? No. But people do tend to accept the least-cost method, and feel that they have done their part. We have low-levels of cause-exhaustion for that which does not effect us. That's why tips on Sunday afternoon are the worst for wait-staff. People feel like they have "already been generous" when they gave at church.

  4. #284
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,066

    Re: Kidnapped Nigerian Girls

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Actually Boko Haram will straight up execute you for that crap. Smoking, drinking, drugs, etc. The drug trade in Nigeria is on the coastline, but Boko Haram is centered up in Borno.


    Nope, Ahmed Shekau is just no-kidding real-world, bat-**** crazy.

    Bank robbery, kidnapping, drugs and guns fund Boko Haram's bloody ventures | Fox News

    Drugs, Driving Boko Haram Activities, Says Shettima
    http://www.thenigerianvoice.com/news...-shettima.html

    Nigerian militant chief is ‘high on drugs’
    http://www.arabnews.com/news/570971
    Last edited by poweRob; 06-06-14 at 07:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  5. #285
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: Kidnapped Nigerian Girls

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Yup. They probably also got a crap-ton of money for the Italian hostages they just released - that and armed robbery are their cash cows. That being said, the drug trade is down off the coastline, along with piracy, and kidnapping / extortion / theft from oil companies.

  6. #286
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Kidnapped Nigerian Girls

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Only one? No. But people do tend to accept the least-cost method, and feel that they have done their part. We have low-levels of cause-exhaustion for that which does not effect us. That's why tips on Sunday afternoon are the worst for wait-staff. People feel like they have "already been generous" when they gave at church.
    Evidence of this would be that the girls are still not free and have been dropped from the news cycle. But those holding the hashtags can still feel good about themselves.

  7. #287
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,066

    Re: Kidnapped Nigerian Girls

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Evidence of this would be that the girls are still not free and have been dropped from the news cycle. But those holding the hashtags can still feel good about themselves.
    Here... just for you. A reminder line from the OP:

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I know I saw another thread about this, but it is full of partisan bickering. I was hoping to start a thread that is about the Nigerian girls and the things that are being done to rescue them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  8. #288
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Kidnapped Nigerian Girls

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Here... just for you. A reminder line from the OP:
    Where are the girls? Has Michelle O. made any more announcements?

  9. #289
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Kidnapped Nigerian Girls

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Where are the girls? Has Michelle O. made any more announcements?
    Unfortunately new news will always overshadow the old and with the Bowe Bergdahl story, sadly we probably won't hear much about the girls anymore. Short of invading Nigeria and overthrowing Mr. Goodluck, the ONLY thing we could really do is put pressure on the Nigerian government. I really think that was what the Twitter campaign was all about.

  10. #290
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,066

    Re: Kidnapped Nigerian Girls

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Where are the girls? Has Michelle O. made any more announcements?
    Here... just for you. A reminder line from the OP:

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL
    I know I saw another thread about this, but it is full of partisan bickering. I was hoping to start a thread that is about the Nigerian girls and the things that are being done to rescue them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •