Page 18 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 312

Thread: Kidnapped Nigerian Girls

  1. #171
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Kidnapped Nigerian Girls

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    So you know for a fact, this is the case? Presumably because they said so right, and they wouldn't lie?
    Does he know what for a fact?

  2. #172
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: Kidnapped Nigerian Girls

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    If there were over 200 young Christian girls kidnapped by Muslims from a school in the US I feel confident the government would act and people would be outraged. But that has not been the case at all, there is no comparison, which means this false analogy is an attempt to disrupt the thread and nothing more. Why is this?
    Not two hundred, but thousands of girls are in that circumstance in the US. People don't seem terribly outraged. Is it the idea that girls shouldn't be taken and forced into sex slavery all at the same time that is the moral issue? "sure, if you want to sell girls into slavery, whatever, but you have to put at least a 24 hour between them, or else, you know, you're being evil." ?

  3. #173
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: Kidnapped Nigerian Girls

    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    I support neither the former nor the latter, but we are not discussing the former here, only the latter.
    Oh, and you're sure of that?

  4. #174
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Kidnapped Nigerian Girls

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Not two hundred, but thousands of girls are in that circumstance in the US. People don't seem terribly outraged. Is it the idea that girls shouldn't be taken and forced into sex slavery all at the same time that is the moral issue? "sure, if you want to sell girls into slavery, whatever, but you have to put at least a 24 hour between them, or else, you know, you're being evil." ?
    Girls are at risk all over the world, as is trafficking in women. But what does this broad generalization have to do with the subject at hand?

    If girls were kidnapped under the same circumstances in the US then you can be assured of public outrage. Meanwhile this thread is not about the US. It is all about kidnapping until we learn more.

  5. #175
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Kidnapped Nigerian Girls

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Girls are at risk all over the world, as is trafficking in women. But what does this broad generalization have to do with the subject at hand?

    If girls were kidnapped under the same circumstances in the US then you can be assured of public outrage. Meanwhile this thread is not about the US. It is all about kidnapping until we learn more.
    Exactly. Thank you.

  6. #176
    Heavy Hitter


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    63,706

    Re: Kidnapped Nigerian Girls

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Oh, and you're sure of that?
    I'm sure of the usage in language, and I've read the op. This thread is about kidnapped Nigerian school girls.

  7. #177
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: Kidnapped Nigerian Girls

    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    I'm sure of the usage in language, and I've read the op. This thread is about kidnapped Nigerian school girls.
    Ah. So you are sure that when Abu Bakr Shekau states that he intends to sell the girls, and when and if he indicates that he is willing to trade the girls back to the Nigerian government, either for money, released fighters, or some combination thereof, that he is lying, and does not intend to profit financially?

  8. #178
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: Kidnapped Nigerian Girls

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Girls are at risk all over the world, as is trafficking in women. But what does this broad generalization have to do with the subject at hand?
    1. The argument was made that this kind of thing doesn't happen all over the world, more specifically, that it doesn't happen here in the US because oh we would be so upset we would really do something about it.

    2. It demonstrates that we are not actually (as a country) interested in saving the girls for their own sake. We are interested in it because it's the latest fad on social and now conventional media.

  9. #179
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,981
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Kidnapped Nigerian Girls

    The problem is...as the Joker would say...one or two girls here and there across the US being kidnapped and sold into slavery on an ongoing basis is, well, part of the plan. It's statistically acceptable. 200 kids all at once? Not part of the plan. Not statistically acceptable.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  10. #180
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Kidnapped Nigerian Girls

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    1. The argument was made that this kind of thing doesn't happen all over the world, more specifically, that it doesn't happen here in the US because oh we would be so upset we would really do something about it.

    2. It demonstrates that we are not actually (as a country) interested in saving the girls for their own sake. We are interested in it because it's the latest fad on social and now conventional media.
    Name an event (with a link) similar occurring in the US, where a terrorist organization blatantly storms a school and steals almost 300 girls and takes them into the jungle somewhere, while threatening to kill them and sell them into slavery, etc.

Page 18 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •